wanted to buy a gaff

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
i net them but sometimes have two on at same time and first gets tangled ..so small.. 12/0 hook size gaff would come in handy..my 8 year old was sitting with me when i looked for a gaff...that took a little explaining ...did not know gaff had a whole other meaning

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
i net them but sometimes have two on at same time and first gets tangled ..so small.. 12/0 hook size gaff would come in handy..my 8 year old was sitting with me when i looked for a gaff...that took a little explaining ...did not know gaff had a whole other meaning
Buy a big net then, we used BIG nets when we tournament fished and we absolutely did not want to loose one at the boat, and take a chance on loosing $3-500. I will tell you ahead of time you won't find one at WalMart that will hold a 40-50# fish. You will have to go somewhere like bottom dwellers or somewhere like that and you are looking at $100. or so.

I still have mine but it hasn't been in the boat in 10 years as all I do is weigh them, take a pic and send them back over the side so if I loose one it is NBD.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
i filet and eat all the ones i catch..we eat some when we get done cleaning them..then cut the rest into thumb size peices and freeze untill deer season where we fry them after the hunt for a feast with deer loin french fries and chicken wings...big catfish are realy good white meat filets as long as you take that gray jelly meat off the skin side .my biggest was only 40 lb but so far the bigger the better

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
just look up gaff on ebay..not fish gaff just gaff.. scroll down a bit and try to explain to a 8 year old girl why somebody would need that