Want snow?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I feel sorrow for you but I must say better there than where I'm at. LOL. That reminds me of my days in S Dakota. Troops had to shovel snow out of offices and those offices had double window panes. That is just to much snow.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll pass, I’ll take the hot humid days of summer every time, most folks think I’m crazy

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Reminds me of 2000 or 2001 when we got like 21" in 24 hour period , loved it but was a lot closer to work then and still sitting at home for a week

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Reminds me of 2000 or 2001 when we got like 21" in 24 hour period , loved it but was a lot closer to work then and still sitting at home for a week

you speak of what we weather nuts refer to as the Carolina Crusher, though there have been bigger better more widespread storms......Mar 1980 for example.....the Crusher was notable and so named for dumping the snow in a short amount of time as you mentioned....

accum.20000125.gif

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I remember it snowing 3 Wednesday’s in a row back in 60’s. Missed school for a while.

It's as far back in the 60's as you can get :p

Not only did it snow 3 Wed in a row it was in March, and they were no little tiny storms parts of western NC has several feet by the time it was all said and done......March 1960

march_2-4_1960_nc_snowmap.png

march_9-10_1960_snowmap.png

march_16_1960_nc_snowmap.png

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
It's as far back in the 60's as you can get :p

Not only did it snow 3 Wed in a row it was in March, and they were no little tiny storms parts of western NC has several feet by the time it was all said and done......March 1960

View attachment 39619

View attachment 39620

View attachment 39621
I remember that well . I was 10 yrs old . Had a ball being outside in the snow every day . Then we had to make up all those missed school days . That was not fun .

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
you speak of what we weather nuts refer to as the Carolina Crusher, though there have been bigger better more widespread storms......Mar 1980 for example.....the Crusher was notable and so named for dumping the snow in a short amount of time as you mentioned....

View attachment 39618

I remember that. I was 5 when that happened and no one could see me in the yard after I got off the porch.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing in the last 50 yrs compares to the Mar 1980 blizzard...…..pretty much the entire eastern half of the state had a foot or more of snow.....the western half had 6-10" on average....crazy storm big wind, temps only in the mid teens in the middle of the day while it was dumping snow in MARCH, thunder and lightning etc.....

march_1-2_1980_nc_snowmap.gif

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I don't know what was so spectacular about 1980 or the 1960's. I wasn't in NC during those years. Two years ago in December (2O18) I distinctly remember because my brother had to go to work and became snow bound. I started to his home to put wood in his Carolina water heating wood stove. My ATV was pushing snow all the way until I arrived at the main highway which I had to cross in order to get to his house. Love the State employees pushing the snow from the highways but that morning I wasn't to happy with them. Got to the main highway and found their snow plows had piled three feet plus of snow along side the highway including my drive way. I thought if I hit it hard enough I could go over the snow bank and get into the highway. WRONG. Ever wonder what a post turtle feels like? I found out. My ATV is sitting on top of the snow with all four tires up off the ground and spinning in the snow. :mad: :mad: ' And as if that wasn't bad enough another state snow plow came by pushing more snow on top of the snow, the ATV and me. If I recall correctly I might have said "Gosh Darn It" a few times. And the driver just kept on going, probably laughing his butt off "look at that fool out there riding his ATV, I fixed his A** good". I eventually was able to winch myself off the snow pile got to my brothers, put wood in the stove and "borrowed" a shovel to get back home.

So its hard for me to look at the accumulations depicted in the weather maps provided and make things as bad or much worse than 2018. Best I can figure the accumulated amounts were not as much as the over night or at most very little more and the longer snow stays on the ground generally the more it slumps. Just my way of comparing things. :cry::cry::oops:.

Perhaps I might be comparing it to snows I did witness in S. Dakota in 1964/65 when troops had to shovel snow out of office buildings which had double pained windows. That was snow and wind. Dangerous blizzard conditions. Nebraska in 1965--1969 wasn't much better. 😡😡🥶🥶🥶

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Perhaps I might be comparing it to snows I did witness in S. Dakota in 1964/65 when troops had to shovel snow out of office buildings which had double pained windows. That was snow and wind. Dangerous blizzard conditions. Nebraska in 1965--1969 wasn't much better. 😡😡🥶🥶🥶

This is South Dakota I think...they had some decent snowdrifts lol....this is what happens when the wind blows constantly and its well below freezing always....the snow blows up into giant drifts....

e95455189170b1a5965d84ed070cfad2--utility-pole-emergency-preparedness.jpg