Wal Mart marking down Berkley catfish rods

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Saw some 7 foot rods for 17.00 at a Wal Mart in WNC. Berkley brand.

Can't attest to the quality but at 17 dollars probably not that great

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Wall mart chapel hill has nice big sticks for catfish market really low. In that 17-21$ price range. Good rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on what you're using it for, nothing wrong with a cheap rod. If it only serves to provide heft and backbone they're good. If you want a bit more finesse and feel then you spend more. I have a friend that has a G Loomis rod for bobber fishing. Never understood that. Now for other presentations it makes sense.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on what you're using it for, nothing wrong with a cheap rod. If it only serves to provide heft and backbone they're good. If you want a bit more finesse and feel then you spend more. I have a friend that has a G Loomis rod for bobber fishing. Never understood that. Now for other presentations it makes sense.
Rods are really a weird deal.
The people that are "good enough" to understand and appreciate the complexities of rods can use anything and catch fish.
But that's not how it usually works, experience and skill lead to upgrading rods.
Your friend using G. Loomis for bobbers doesn't "need" that rod, he just wants it.
One of my friends has 52 (yes I counted)Loomis rods that my father wrapped. He could catch them with a cane pole if he liked but he doesn't want to.
I have such bias against high dollar spinning reels that I have overstepped at times with that opinion. No one "needs"
132 ball bearings in a spinning reel, it does nothing for you in terms of presentation.
But some folks want it, need or no. Shimano and daiwa are happy they feel the want. :)

If they are the Berkley big game rods, I have 3 of them. I use them for striper fishing. I like them. Had one spooled with 20lb pline mono and got snagged on a tree in about 50 ft of water. I tightened the drag down to break the line. I was pulling as hard as I could. I was determined to snap the line or the rod. I couldn't do either. I had to cut the line. For $17 you wont beat it.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Got a few wall hangers all caught from a cheap daiwa spinning combo purchased from dicks years ago. Fishing rods are fishing rods they catch fish!

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
No one "needs" 132 ball bearings in a spinning reel, it does nothing for you in terms of presentation.

I've always been fascinated at the sheer number of bearings manufacturers claim are in a reel. Then you begin analyzing that reel and you can't come up with enough places to put that many bearings.... Really??

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've always been fascinated at the sheer number of bearings manufacturers claim are in a reel. Then you begin analyzing that reel and you can't come up with enough places to put that many bearings.... Really??
and now the new trend is to bearingless reels. Go figure. :)