Waiting for the future…

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Seems like the biggest discussion is quality vs opportunity. Permit hunts/hunt days on GLs can be manipulated to accommodate opportunity.

Let’s talk about hunt pressure and quality. Some people take time off to hunt during the week and I’m guessing some hunt the same places back to back during those days off. Is that pressure different from hunting Sat and Sun in a row? I’m sure there are less people doing that so the pressure isn’t the same as weekend guys. So now it’s just a matter of some hunters having an advantage of opportunity over others due to their circumstances.

So what is fair- a few hunters having better quality hunts or all hunters having hunts in general?
Sounds like communism to me...

I am 100% for quality over quantity. We have 60 days to hunt. I hunt less than half of those. I work very hard throughout the offseason to get ready for duck hunting and improve what I have for duck hunting. I want the best opportunities I can get. For me, that is when there is no sunday hunting. Im in this for me and my group and family and friends and they are all in the same boat I am. I have buddies who hunt alot in VA and do not like the sunday hunting aspect at all and hearing what they are saying it reinforces why I dont want it. Is it selfish? sure, but so is trying to change the structure of the way it has worked in NC for years so that you can get more days to hunt.

I will follow up with what Shurshot said, its not a that its another day, its that its another weekend day where there will be more people out than prob the 5 weekdays combined.

Last edited:
Sounds like communism to me...

I am 100% for quality over quantity. We have 60 days to hunt. I hunt less than half of those. I work very hard throughout the offseason to get ready for duck hunting and improve what I have for duck hunting. I want the best opportunities I can get. For me, that is when there is no sunday hunting. Im in this for me and my group and family and friends and they are all in the same boat I am. I have buddies who hunt alot in VA and do not like the sunday hunting aspect at all and hearing what they are saying it reinforces why I dont want it. Is it selfish? sure, but so is trying to change the structure of the way it has worked in NC for years so that you can get more days to hunt.

I will follow up with what Shurshot said, its not a that its another day, its that its another weekend day where there will be more people out than prob the 5 weekdays combined.

Lol not communism…The current system is discriminative and excludes a percentage of hunters from opportunity.

But I do appreciate your admission of desire to preserve what’s best for you and your group. I’m only expressing what would be better for my group.

Until Sunday hunting is allowed- no one knows how or if it will impact ducking negatively.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Lol not communism…The current system is discriminative and excludes a percentage of hunters from opportunity.

But I do appreciate your admission of desire to preserve what’s best for you and your group. I’m only expressing what would be better for my group.

Until Sunday hunting is allowed- no one knows how or if it will impact ducking negatively.
Haha I had to take a jab at the fair for all stuff

I definetly get why people want it but like I said its makes the most sense for me and my group with no sunday hunting and in all honesty will result in me hunting a few hunts less each year as well as lower overall success. I hope they will keep it but we will see how it goes.

I dont think it would ruin hunting in NC, but I do think it would negatively impact hunting in many areas.

Last edited:

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Where did NCWRC post that? It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I hunt a lot in VA and the Sunday hunting does add more pressure but doesn’t seem to be the end of the world. You still need to hunt them and find where they are not pressured… it sure is nice to be able to hunt more and 60 days is 60 days.

If your worried that your Friday/Saturday permit hunt changing to a Saturday/Sunday permit hunt is going to make permit hunts worse I got news for ya, permit hunts suck ass anyways. I quit putting in for them years ago when I realized it wasn’t worth the effort.
That’s a whole separate management issue. Not allowing Sunday hunting is just the NCWRC hitting the easy button on “managing” and pacifying the hunters that can hunt all week if they want to. I don’t have that luxury.

It works for the few- not all.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How about let us shoot 20 minutes earlier every other day and take Sunday and Wednesday out. Not one hunter will cry about it. If he does, it’s cause he’s too lazy to get up or can’t see far enough to shoot earlier. In either case, need em out of the gene pool.

Gus

Six Pointer
That’s a whole separate management issue. Not allowing Sunday hunting is just the NCWRC hitting the easy button on “managing” and pacifying the hunters that can hunt all week if they want to. I don’t have that luxury.

It works for the few- not all.
It's never going to work for all- there will always be a tiny, but vocal, percentage claiming they couldn't possibly hunt at any time other than when season/day is closed.
The present structure works well for almost anyone who prioritizes waterfowing. The avg working guy can hunt half the season- 10 Saturdays, 10 vacation days, 5-6 holidays, a couple sick days and a couple before/after work days = 30 days. Did it for 40yrs.
The opportunity is there- if folks have other priorities that's on them.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
that like saying North carolina then "aka south carolina". Scotland and england are 2 different places on the Island Great Britian.

No,,,, that’s like saying “Southern North Carolina is AKA South Carolina “ - and in that case it’s true since from 1660s to 1729ish they were simply known as the “Province of Carolina”,,,,

But I was just messing with the England bit as Scots don’t worry with north and south differentiation

And glad you know a bit of British geography 👍

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Anything that cuts down on the idiots on public land/water is a positive in my book. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if they banned public waterfowl hunting in general. Got no use for the Duck Commander wannabes who have no idea how to go about duck hunting and insist on setting up fifty yards away from you and skybusting, or sailing in and busting the roost.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
It's never going to work for all- there will always be a tiny, but vocal, percentage claiming they couldn't possibly hunt at any time other than when season/day is closed.
The present structure works well for almost anyone who prioritizes waterfowing. The avg working guy can hunt half the season- 10 Saturdays, 10 vacation days, 5-6 holidays, a couple sick days and a couple before/after work days = 30 days. Did it for 40yrs.
Agree 100%

That’s a lot of assumptions that people have plenty of vacation days and sick days and the ability to hunt Saturdays. Those aren’t facts- you’re telling your story that worked out for you for 40 years. You shouldn’t have to skip work to duck hunt.

Everybody’s life and circumstances are not the same.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
That’s a lot of assumptions that people have plenty of vacation days and sick days and the ability to hunt Saturdays. Those aren’t facts- you’re telling your story that worked out for you for 40 years. You shouldn’t have to skip work to duck hunt.

I'd like to apply to where he worked at for 40 years. I could go for 10 days of vacation, 6 holidays and a couple of sick days from Nov-Jan.

I guess my 16 year old son will have to quit school to hunt, gotta get his priorities in order.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

I'd like to apply to where he worked at for 40 years. I could go for 10 days of vacation, 6 holidays and a couple of sick days from Nov-Jan.

I guess my 16 year old son will have to quit school to hunt, gotta get his priorities in order.
It was less about commenting on the actual duck hunting, and more about flexing on us with his vacation days lol

Gus

Six Pointer

Didn't say "everybody" or "people"- I said the "avg working guy". According to the US Dept of Labor the AVG employee in the private sector gets 11 days vacation, 8 sick days and 7 paid holidays - after just 1 year of employment. After 3 years that jumps to 15 days vacation. State and local govt employees get more. Seems factual to me.

Gus

Six Pointer

You don't get two weeks vacation, you don't get 2-3 sick days and you have to work Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day???
Damn man, have looked into getting a GED?