Vortex scope opinions

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
I have no scope loyalty and never have. I own Zeiss, Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Tasco, Centerpoint, Bushnell, Sightron, Vortex, Redfield and others. I have higher, mid, and lower end scopes on multiples of those brands. Heck I even recently bought a Vortex Copperhead not to long ago and it's clear and holding zero fine so far on a 300 Win Mag, will it last? Don't know... As far as Vortex goes I'm not sure yet if I'd trust anything below a Diamondback long term though. I have three different Diamondback's right now. I like two of them, but one the eye relief sucks on. I have three of the Vortex Strike-Eagles and really like them, think they are a great bang for your buck scope. A few Vipers and a Razor with zero complaints so far. I will say out of the scopes I listed above I don't understand why Sightron isn't more popular. I bought one off of a forum member here years ago and it's a great scope for the cost. I don't know if it's bad marketing or what with that one. Sportsman's Warehouse is running a great deal on one of them now.... yeah I went ahead and bought two more for the heck of it. Word salad there, but bottom line for me is that Vortex scopes are fine.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Full Disclosure......I'm an optics snob and I admit it!
So am I, and I will not own another Vortex.
I’ve not had any luck whatsoever with them. Whether it be their Diamondback, Razor, or Viper.

I’ve literally thrown one in the garbage because I was tired of sending it back and the same thing happening time after time. I got rid of the ones I had, and went back to Leupold. Then thought about what my Dad always told me. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Have razor binos and like them. No way I’m putting a scope prone to issues on a hunting rifle. Deer of a lifetime is called deer of a lifetime for a reason. If I missed cause I was trying to save a few bucks I’d be sick…….I’d probably miss for other reasons.

Funny about the different eye relief on scopes. I thought I was crazy. Have an old Nikon Monarch with great eye relief. Have a much newer Monarch 3 and it’s got terrible eye relief and gets iffy at higher power. Think this was toward the end of Nikons scope making days

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
If you can swing a trigicon credo price wise, that may be the best compromise, but it’ll still run you around $700 in the used market. Just another option.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I will say out of the scopes I listed above I don't understand why Sightron isn't more popular. I bought one off of a forum member here years ago and it's a great scope for the cost. I don't know if it's bad marketing or what with that one.
Never understood either.....Sightron have some really good optics.
The Big Sky series were really good. I don't know why they quit making them other than maybe the sales weren't good enough.
I had a SII series scope and liked it alot, especially for the money.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had big rifles and little rifles and scopes of all kinds from $30 Walmart tasco’s to leupold and Nikons. Based on my own personal experiences for 30 years, I have no reason to spend a lot on a scope. Yes, some are more clear and better at low light, but I’ve never had a scope of any brand, make, model structurally fail me.
I’ve got 4 vortex scopes along with 2 Nikons, one leupold and one Burris. I’ve had zero issues from any of them and quite honestly, couldn’t give you a nickels difference in clarity between all of’em.
Laugh if you will, but the “toughest” scope I have is a $40 3x9x40 tasco from Walmart. It’s sitting on a marlin 22 rifle that lives in my side by side. That gun has been dropped, ran over, kicked in the air 20’ (long story) and weathered all the elements and I can still head shoot a rat or groundhog with it.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I run vortex on all my guns. I am a fan of them and warranty is great. I have the crossfire II 6x24x50 and no problems with it. Are there better scopes yes but for the money don't think you can go wrong. I would look more at the eagle than crossfire though.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I have a diamondback and a crossfire ii. Both are decent for the money. The Diamondback feels a bit more sturdy. For the money both are extremely crisp and clear. I hunt in thick woods and food plots so I don’t take very long shots. It’s hard for me to justify anything more than 3x9x40 or 3.5 x 12x50(?) based on where and how I hunt. Both scopes I have killed deer with, both hold zero. A lot of it has to do with how the scope is mounted. I am happy with vortex, although the Burris full fields are nice too. You can’t go wrong with either brand. I also have an older redfield that has started to yellow over time. I would not get the cheapest scope mounts. In that price range vortex, Burris, or the leupold freedom are all good scopes. Be patient, I think you will see all of the offered on Black Friday sales.

Last edited:

Jimbob78

Twelve Pointer
They will all mess up after a while, I have a SB sitting at the shop now with grease or something on the inside of the lens. It’s had over 10k rounds fired under it from a 223 on up to a cheytac. So even the most expensive do have to be serviced but it’s elevation and windage have stayed true.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
I'm a Leupold guy but I have owned and still do own several Vortex products and all have been positive with the exception of a pair of 8x42 crossfire binos that my daughter had that vortex replaced with a new upgraded pair. I have a pair of 10x42 Viper and Diamondback binos that have been great.

Also have a 2x7x35 rimfire Diamondback on a 22 mag and my son has an older model 2.5 x10x44 Viper on a 308 and both have been flawless. I sold a 243 to a young man several years ago that has a Diamondback 3x9x40 on it and he's still killing deer with it.

I have Leupold VX5's on my deer rifles and no doubt Vortex isn't a Leupold but they don't carry that price tag either. Imo Vortex optics are good for their price. I recommend them to anyone especially someone on a budget looking for a good scope that don't break the bank and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one myself. All this of course is just my opinion based on my experience with Vortex products.

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have never owned or shot a crossfire optic...i do have 3 vortex diamondback scopes that i really like

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I picked up a Meopta3-15X50 last month for under $400 and I would put it up against My Leupold VIII or my Vortex PST. They use European glass (made in Czechoslovakia). I do like my Vortex GE though. The rest of the Vortex line....meh.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have multiple types of Vortex optics, including a scope. No problems with any of them. The only ones I have really worked hard have been the Vortex venom reflex sights, and they have held up well.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I have/had several Vortex scopes. Crossfires, Diamondbacks and Vipers. No real complaints with any of them, but for the price I think Leupold makes better gear, or if you’re set on Vortex, the Diamondback IMO is noticeably better for not a lot more money.

I also think 50mm objectives are completely overrated but that’s another topic

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for everyone's opinions, suggestions on the scope and others!! Haven't had a need for a new scope in quite a while so my "up to date" knowledge is lacking. For me, this is a great "community" to ask for and get help/suggestions. Thanks again!!

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
For what it’s worth….I am “up grading” my 3x9x40 crossfire ii. It’s for sale on the classifieds. If you look around on line, their is a vortex viper 3x9x40 (which is a much nicer line)offered at almost half off. I believe it was a limited sale /discontinued.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Have razor binos and like them. No way I’m putting a scope prone to issues on a hunting rifle. Deer of a lifetime is called deer of a lifetime for a reason. If I missed cause I was trying to save a few bucks I’d be sick…….I’d probably miss for other reasons.

Funny about the different eye relief on scopes. I thought I was crazy. Have an old Nikon Monarch with great eye relief. Have a much newer Monarch 3 and it’s got terrible eye relief and gets iffy at higher power. Think this was toward the end of Nikons scope making days

Nikon branded scope quality really slipped but not the fault of the scope makers. Like most name brands slapped on scopes their scopes were being made by a few Pacific rim countries at a feature and price point picked by people at Nikon. The nicer Nikons (Japan made) came from Light Optical Works and that company is capable of making any level quality scope and they'll put your brand on it if you want to spend the money. Nikon did for a time but cut back and kept cutting corners at the expense of their product. When Nikon quit selling scopes a big scope retailer that sold their refurbished warranty repaired scopes and other companies refurbished warranty repaired scopes. At that time on their website Nikon scopes were listed at around a 5 to 1 margin over all the other brands of refurbished scopes they carried.

<>< Fish

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
For what it’s worth….I am “up grading” my 3x9x40 crossfire ii. It’s for sale on the classifieds. If you look around on line, their is a vortex viper 3x9x40 (which is a much nicer line)offered at almost half off. I believe it was a limited sale /discontinued.
That's actually the Viper I have on the .308 Hog Hunter rifle I shot the 12 pointer with on Sunday.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks again for everyone's input. Been looking and have narrowed my choices. The strike eagle is more than I need but is a little less than half their normal price. More $$, possibly better glass? The fullfield 4 with the R3 reticle is another choice. The vortex diamond back was suggested as the lowest level to consider in the Vortex, and the strike eagle is 2 levels above that. 🤷‍♂️ So, curious if anyone here has either of these scopes, or similar and if anyone has their opinion on either.