Virginia to tighten rules on feeding deer corn, minerals due to CWD

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The proposal is to prohibit the feeding of cervids in any county designated by the Department within 25 miles of a confirmed detection of Chronic Wasting Disease.
Because CWD transmission can be enhanced when deer are concentrated at artificial feeding sites, it is critical to prevent the placement of food, minerals, or salt in an expansive area surrounding an area known to be infected with the disease. Juvenile dispersal is an important mechanism for disease transmission between individuals and populations.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/regulations/proposed-regulation-amendment/?vac=15-40-285

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I've been thinking about this whole CWD deal. If it is a known fear, and you believe it can be a problem in the future, then why is NC reducing the deer harvest on purpose? They cut the 4 buck tags, to 2 and they cut the Doe tags. Seems like they would want to keep deer numbers well below carrying capacity if the threat of CWD is real. But the harvest objectives act like CWD doesn't exist? Which it currently doesn't exist in NC.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
what is the over/under on when nc stops baiting due to cwd?
very interested in our professional or degreed wildlife folk's opinion.

what is the over/under on when nc stops baiting due to cwd?
very interested in our professional or degreed wildlife folk's opinion.
There is a plan in place. Most states have a CWD plan in place where as once there is a confirmed case they ban baiting within a certain mileage of the confirmed case. Often the county as well as surrounding counties. This is merely an attempt to stop the congregation of deer in order to try and slow down the spreading. It is not likely that the whole state is affected or infected.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Arkansas allows baiting where CWD has been found there because, like NC, Arkansas deer hunters are heavily dependent on bait to kill deer/

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NC could go either way.

I would not be shocked if they followed Arkansas because NC deer hunters are very dependent on corn to kill deer

That said I think the WRC will do what it will regardless of hunter blacklash

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Virginia imposes new rules for CWD

Chronic Wasting Disease
  • Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) has been discovered in Culpeper County. A second Disease Management Area, designated DMA2 and including Culpeper, Madison, and Orange counties, was created to implement management actions.
  • All deer killed in Culpeper, Madison, Orange, and Shenandoah counties on November 16, 2019, must be brought to a designated check station to be tested for CWD. Mandatory CWD testing for deer harvested in Clarke, Frederick, or Warren counties will not occur in fall 2019.
  • Transport of whole deer carcasses out of Culpeper, Madison and Orange counties is now prohibited.
  • It is now illegal to import or possess whole deer carcasses and certain high-risk carcass parts originating from outside Virginia.
  • Feeding of deer is now prohibited year round in Albemarle, Buchanan, Clarke, Culpeper, Dickenson, Fauquier, Frederick, Greene, Loudoun, Louisa, Madison, Orange, Page, Rappahannock, Rockingham, Shenandoah, Spotsylvania, Stafford, Warren, and Wise counties (towns and cities within included).
  • The Antler Point Restriction was removed in Rockingham and Shenandoah counties.

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
NC could go either way.

I would not be shocked if they followed Arkansas because NC deer hunters are very dependent on corn to kill deer

That said I think the WRC will do what it will regardless of hunter blacklash

It really shouldn’t t surprise me but how in The hell do you know that the majority of deer hunters in N.C. depend on corn to kill a deer? Google doesn’t know and you haven’t been in the real world since god knows when to see anything other than what’s on the computer screen. Jesus man, I guess this forum is all you have. Sorry for the rant folks and actually I feel sorry CRC for the outburst but enough is enough man, my God.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
66% of NC deer hunters hunt over bait or use bait to kill deer.

76% in the Northwestern Season zone, 77% in the Central Season zone, and 74% in the Eastern Season zone agree that hunting over bait should be legal.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
66% of NC deer hunters hunt over bait or use bait to kill deer.

76% in the Northwestern Season zone, 77% in the Central Season zone, and 74% in the Eastern Season zone agree that hunting over bait should be legal.

I know very few still hunters that hunt without some form of bait. And with a 2 buck rule that shifts the harvest even more towards antlerless/does which may reduce the overall population. In my neck of the woods our deer numbers have declined and everyone is a little hesitant to shoot does. My goal is to shoot 2 bucks (antlers don't matter) and 2 does.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
2016 survey showed very strong support for baiting in eastern counties

Last edited: