versamax buckshot choke selection

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
that is results i got from my 870 bk full ..kicks is sending me full in return for x full hope i get that kind of results... x full probably too restricted probably wont get gun back for another month or two from repair to try

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Buck kicker all day. I killed on next to last day 82 long steps running in a field. 1 shot 1 kill. I shoot Remington 3.5" 00 out of a SBE2. 18 of 18 pellets at 50 in a 18 inch circle. 13 or 18 at 75 yds in a 24x30 sheet of paper

That’s really impressive...I’d like to sit at a 4-way and get the hounds rolling with that setup...you could cover an area the size of a football field with that

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
kicks sent my new full bk choke little over 1 week turn around... remington on the other hand recieved my brand new broken shotgun on the 22nd and as of today 10 days later have not even looked at it yet according to the rep i spoke with...go remington customer dis-service..i just hope they get it right

RMc

Four Pointer
Bigger buckshot pellets usually pattern tightest. I like 22 gauge buckshot pellets in the 3" 12 bore.
That translates to three .60" / 315 grain hard cast pellets. My 870 with a Briley extended full (.695") throws 1.5-4 inch patterns at 40 yards and 6 to 8 inch patterns at 55 yards with either my handloads or Dixie Tri-Ball factory buckshot ammo.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Bigger buckshot pellets usually pattern tightest. I like 22 gauge buckshot pellets in the 3" 12 bore.
That translates to three .60" / 315 grain hard cast pellets. My 870 with a Briley extended full (.695") throws 1.5-4 inch patterns at 40 yards and 6 to 8 inch patterns at 55 yards with either my handloads or Dixie Tri-Ball factory buckshot ammo.

Those Dixie tri balls are nasty! They are crazy. They shoot 5” at 40yds out of my 20” 870 barrel imp cyl choke.
And recoil [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
its now been 2 months remington has had my brand new non functioning shotgun for repair ..i know all manufacturers have an occasional problem but to have a back log so long it takes over 2 months to even look at a warranty issue is just pp poor customer service and they just dont care

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Tell em to keep it and send your money back. Reminds me of the post on the new black eagle 3 shooting 12” high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
wow gun shop said it was unrepairable and sent it back to remengton....i called remengton and asked them to send me a new gun or refund..i was told they would have to get back with me on what they could do....I KNOW HOW BOUGHT SEND ME A NEW ONE ...this broke azz was only 1 day old

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
finally got my gun back almost 3 months later ran a box of light birdshot through it with no problems yet need to get where i can pattern it hope for the best

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I bought a kicks buck kicker full last year but still haven't tried it out.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You never know with buckshot. I have seen identical guns with identical chokes have a preference over brand or size.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
got my great versacrap back ..shoots bird shot great ...last shell still gets stuck going into magazine have to put barrel on ground and push with thumbs to get shell into magazine....3 in and 3 1/2 in shells hang up in chamber have to help shut and it bends the brass on 3 1/2 in shells ...even bent the rim from extractor...guess its going back to remington for another 3 month vacation....oh buckshot patterns were inconsistant with buckkicker full ....using same shells produced differant rusults from all 18 pellets in 24 in at 40 yards to only 8 in 24 inches at 40 yards pretty poor ...should just still use my 870

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I hate to hear this. I use to be a Remington man and still love my older 870's. But like you I am getting older (50) and went to the semi auto. You mentioned the new A5's in an earlier post. I love mine. I shoot a little low with it but the gun does it's part. Got lucky and picked up a Benelli M2 American. It fits me better and the site plane is much more comparable to the older Remingtons (870 and 1100) so I naturally shoot it better. But I do love both guns. No issues with either.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
After second repair..still had same problems so l returned once again and begged for a differant gun..talked them into sending me a v3 waterfoul pro ..about 50 dollar less value but have shot over 100 rounds through it functions great and throws great patterns unlike the versamax..at 30 yards put all 15 00 in less than 12 inch circle...and at 70 yards put all 15 pellets a few shots and no less than 12 of 15 pellets in a 3ftx3ft cardboard with 3 to 4 in 12 in center of target.....
The lemon versamax was a blessing because I ended up with a far better feeling and shooting shotgun. Time will tell how it holds up but great gun so far..and it got me started as a member of nchuntandfish...great group with honest redneck wisdom

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just started experimenting with Trulock's Boar Buster choke tube; a little over an 8" spread average @ 30 yards with Winchester 3" 000 buck.
Looks promising, and going to be testing it with various factory loads in the coming weeks with a Mossberg 930.

Speck

Button Buck
Buck kicker all day. I killed on next to last day 82 long steps running in a field. 1 shot 1 kill. I shoot Remington 3.5" 00 out of a SBE2. 18 of 18 pellets at 50 in a 18 inch circle. 13 or 18 at 75 yds in a 24x30 sheet of paper
What choke is your buck kicker full? X-trafull?

Doggin4deer

Button Buck
ive hunted with an 870 for years using a buckkicker full choke that holds great pattern out to 65 yards with 3 in 00...puts 8 to 10 pellets in a red barron pizza box.....have a new versamax coming in from budsgunshop wondering if anybody knows what choke gets best results in versamax differant barrel differant choke desighn im sure differant pattern good chokes arent cheap any advice
I got a new versa max this past year and put a predator choke on it. drop 4 deer with 3in 00 with 1 shot. One was at 75 yards.

Speck

Button Buck
Friends of mine have factory full chokes shooting 3. 1/2 double oo and they whack deer pretty good