versamax buckshot choke selection

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
ive hunted with an 870 for years using a buckkicker full choke that holds great pattern out to 65 yards with 3 in 00...puts 8 to 10 pellets in a red barron pizza box.....have a new versamax coming in from budsgunshop wondering if anybody knows what choke gets best results in versamax differant barrel differant choke desighn im sure differant pattern good chokes arent cheap any advice

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
versamax is probore choke and 870 is rem choke they are non interchangable ive always been a oo shooter back when fur was worth selling 30 years ago we used to shoot coons on the intercoastal waterway with #4 buck many pelets did not pass througg at 40 yards never tried on deer

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
all advice is good advice mmm hmm seein if anybody with first hand experiance of a remington versamax throwin buckshot could give advise... my 870 with pattern master was worse than facyory full but other guns with pattern master are awsome all guns are differant just tryin to get steered in right direction for versamax

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is where reloading your own really comes into play. You are very limited in factory 3.5" loadings. My shotgun shoots 00 well, well enough that I would have been completely happy with it. But the first time I loaded some 000 and patterned it I knew I had struck paydirt.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Stock imp cyl and flight control buckshot is deadly medicine. Buck shot is only practical at 40yds. Yes you can kill em 60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I have a cylinder bore benelli nova with rifle sights that throws flight control and slugs really, really well...let me know if interested...would sell for $300

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
40 yards is good max distanse for stock chokes and medeoker pattern results last deer i shot was 160 lb 6 point 65 yards put 9 00 from front shoulder to back of ribs and the 6 that hit ribs were stuck in hide on far side....so dont know what gun /choke combo your running but find the right one and you will agree on ethical 60 yard one shot kills....thats what im tryin to get out of versamax .. comperable to my 870 buckkicker full combo... only reason going to automatic is the older i get [48] the more i feel 3in mag loads from my old faithfull pump feel it for days

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
well i got the gun put a 70 dollar buckkicker xfull in it.... 40 yard gun .. no better than modified....to add salt to the wound 80 percent of the time gun failed to load last shell from magazine either came half way out and had to pry out with knife or come all the way out but id have to push button to close receiver....maby should have stuck with 870

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
oh yeah had brand new winchester 3 in 00 buck go poof instead of bang,, shot and wad landed 20 yards in front of me ..dont blame the gun just a freak bad shell from winchester..glad it was in a left hand gun did not get facefull of powder

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
oh yeah had brand new winchester 3 in 00 buck go poof instead of bang,, shot and wad landed 20 yards in front of me ..dont blame the gun just a freak bad shell from winchester..glad it was in a left hand gun did not get facefull of powder
Winchester has issues. Several guys in the club this year had issues from FTF to split brass. If you do a search Winchester comes up many times. They e-mailed Winchester and they sent them complimentary shells.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
40 yards is good max distanse for stock chokes and medeoker pattern results last deer i shot was 160 lb 6 point 65 yards put 9 00 from front shoulder to back of ribs and the 6 that hit ribs were stuck in hide on far side....so dont know what gun /choke combo your running but find the right one and you will agree on ethical 60 yard one shot kills....thats what im tryin to get out of versamax .. comperable to my 870 buckkicker full combo... only reason going to automatic is the older i get [48] the more i feel 3in mag loads from my old faithfull pump feel it for days
That pattern is reloads, Buckicker full from a Stoeger 3500 3.5".

I hate getting kicked and had sold all me 3.5" stuff sans my two 10Ga's and I don't use them. I started back deer hunting with shotguns this year so I jumped back in headfirst. The kicking while shooting at a deer isn't an issue. The patterning/testing is brutal.

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
yes i shot around 75 high brass birdshot and 15 3 in buckshot the versamax kicks but my shoulder doesnt hurt like the 870 would have done to me with that much shootin

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
i shot the only one i had left today that is 3.5 in 00 shoulder is fine but it did hit my cheek pretty good ... gona get a few differand brands and length 00 and try again hopefully kicks lets me exchange xfull for a full or lite full buckkicker

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
sending gun back to remington tomorrow for repair.. does anybdy make QUALITY firearms anymore should have woried more about gun just working rather than patterning ... 1000 dollar mistake ???

22LR

Twelve Pointer
I don't know if you can get a Tru Lock Boarblaster for the Pro bore choke. I have one in a 870 super mag that likes 000 BUCK.0117191416~3.jpg0117191416~3.jpg

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
nice pattern.. i emailed trulock and their suggestion was their standard full non ported i figured they would have said boarbuster but either way i got to try something probably got a month to get gun back and till october to figure it out and my old 870 still works just fine as a stand by 20 years not 1 jamb yet

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
You know anybody that's used the kicks with vesamax shotgun setup like i mentioned tried x full did not do well ... 40 yards had like 8 or so out of 15 00 in 12 in circle but rest were off paper and at 60 yds it was pretty scarce think choke was too tight ....versamax is an overbore barrel / slightly larger than standard 12 ga and i tjink x full made the pellets come together the last 2 inches and spread out unpredictably but not sure

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
Buck kicker all day. I killed on next to last day 82 long steps running in a field. 1 shot 1 kill. I shoot Remington 3.5" 00 out of a SBE2. 18 of 18 pellets at 50 in a 18 inch circle. 13 or 18 at 75 yds in a 24x30 sheet of paper