Venison shoulder recipe?

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
So I've got a nice young tender bambi shoulder sitting in the refrigerator waiting for me to decide what to do with it. I have a conventional oven, a pressure cooker, a smoker, and a charcoal grill. What's your recommendations for cooking it up into something tasty?

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I would grind it up and make chili or taco meat with it. Or put it into a summer sausage.

Agree, but since he doesn’t have a grinder, I’d be off to the smoker.

I got air tired of carving muscle groups apart that I would do one or the other unless it was backstrap.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
So I've got a nice young tender bambi shoulder sitting in the refrigerator waiting for me to decide what to do with it. I have a conventional oven, a pressure cooker, a smoker, and a charcoal grill. What's your recommendations for cooking it up into something tasty?
Look at the neck recipe I have down the page. You can do that same recipe in Dutch oven with a shoulder.

np307

Ten Pointer
Braising the whole thing would work well. Cutting into stew meat and using for chili is what I do with most shoulders. I prefer the texture of the meat that way and you don't have to bother with grinding them.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Go buy a dang crock pot, if you eat wild game you need a crock pot...I'll give you 2 recipes..

First, basically makes vegetable soup...If you don't have vegetables, go to Food Lion, buy their vegetable soup mix....Dump in the bottom of the pot...Feel free to add other veggies like carrots, onions, etc as well...Add the shoulder, Dump 2 of the cans (I think they are 24 ounces) of crushed tomatoes in there, add one can of water, salt and pepper, add salt and pepper...Cook overnight on low...Remove shoulder, cut meat off bone and you are ready to eat...

Next recipe...Cut up potatoes, onions, carrots and put in bottom of crock pot...Add any cut of deer, wrapped in bacon...Dump in your favorite BBQ sauce, either your ketchup based favorite or buy a large bottle from the store...Add salt and pepper...Cook overnight, cut up venison and eat...

C52

Eight Pointer
I salt and peppered one and smoked it at around 225 until I reached 145 degrees. I’ll definitely do that again.

wl704

Ten Pointer
2 options
1) Might not be enough on a young deer, but on a bigger animal, that wide muscle that runs atop the shoulder I've had good results treating like a London broil /flank steak. Generally this piece can be tough, here's what I've done.
Thoroughly work the cut with a jaccard (pic below). Season with your favorite dry rub or marinade. Get a good sear on the outside and cook to MR. You must let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Cut cross grain.

2) Treat like a leg of lamb-bone in or deboned works) . Marinade for a day or two in fridge. I like olive oil, a good bit of garlic, oregano, mint (if you like) and lemon zest (not the juice till last hr or so - you hint want the acid to 'cook' the meat. Cook to your doneness, season with S&P.assets.jpg

mudflap

Ten Pointer
Deer carnitas!
Cover with salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, chilli powder, and garlic powder. Smoke for 5 hours at 180. After 5 hours put it in pan with onions, orange slices, lime slices, and fresh garlic. Pour juice from lime and oranges over it.
Smoke another 4 hours at 250. The last 30 minutes, pour a Coca-Cola with real sugar on it. Cover and rest for 30 minutes, shred and put on tortillas.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer carnitas!
Cover with salt, pepper, oregano, paprika, chilli powder, and garlic powder. Smoke for 5 hours at 180. After 5 hours put it in pan with onions, orange slices, lime slices, and fresh garlic. Pour juice from lime and oranges over it.
Smoke another 4 hours at 250. The last 30 minutes, pour a Coca-Cola with real sugar on it. Cover and rest for 30 minutes, shred and put on tortillas.
That sounds great