Venison ham on cooker for barbeque

BJordan

Eight Pointer
I have a home made gas pig cooker made from an old oil drum. Anyone have any tips or recipes for cooking an entire deer ham for deer barbeque

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Wrap in lots and lots of bacon with lots and lots of A1 sauce. lol. Actually, some bacon for fat and moisture would not be bad. A1 sauce, if used, probably should be used on the plate. I'll let the guys with real experience take over.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would suggest wrapping it at some point or the whole time. You could use some butter or oil on the outside. Some folks have mentioned bacon. The ham will have basically zero fat. Will be super easy to dry out. May want to wrap it or put it in a pan with some butter and Tin foil over top. You could always throw it straight on the rack after it’s done to get some burn marks.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've cooked whole hams and whole shoulders on my pig cooker,,,, love that method for those cuts when I have (had?) larger gatherings,,,

i never wrapped with bacon or anything else

I did inject with marinade,,, I REALLY liked the New York Steakhouse marinade (yes, it's made by A1) but beware, it is a hard inject (or at least was with my injectors)

I cooked on lowish heat (225-240) for a while to medium on the interior (meat thermometer),,,, that way the outer part is done for them folks who like ruined meat, and the interior right for quality

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Did one when I was younger and treated it like a pork shoulder thinking I would get pulled meat. I got boot leather. Years later wife relented (she is not into my trial and error cooking) and I tried again with marinade inject , let sit for a few hours, low heat and a target of medium rare. Success!!!

never found wrapping in bacon moistened meat just added bacon flavor especially on a big piece of meat. The bacon will dry up and crisp long before the big piece is done.

To keep the outside from getting dry you could try tenting it for the last half of the cook time and put liquid of your choice in the bottom. I like apple juice.

good luck , post pics!!!

np307

Ten Pointer
Smoking a whole ham is great if you're wanting to get something like ham. Brine it then smoke to temp. Slice it up, use the bone for a pot of beans, etc.

If you want barbecue, just stick with the pigs. You really need the fat that deer don't have to create the texture and flavor that you're used to. The closest you could get would be braising a deer shoulder and using liquid smoke to give that part of the barbecue flavor.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We always cut several slots all the way around to the bone… packed with 1-2# of fatty bacon

cook until bone pulls out… chop it and add sauce to your desire

we use John boy and Billy’s spicy sauce

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've cooked whole hams and whole shoulders on my pig cooker,,,, love that method for those cuts when I have (had?) larger gatherings,,,

i never wrapped with bacon or anything else

I did inject with marinade,,, I REALLY liked the New York Steakhouse marinade (yes, it's made by A1) but beware, it is a hard inject (or at least was with my injectors)

I cooked on lowish heat (225-240) for a while to medium on the interior (meat thermometer),,,, that way the outer part is done for them folks who like ruined meat, and the interior right for quality

ok,,,ignore that post I made above,,, I stone cold missed the "deer barbeque" words,,, silly me

what I described is more like cooking a "Baron of Venison" and not barbeque,,,

I'm with others,,, barbeque is pig,,, whatcha dang thinkin!!

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
You could braise it on the cooker.

Atlanta brisket is something I like to cook, & even without the fat, I want to try it with a venison roast. Get a large roasting pan. Mix 1 cup Coke, 1 cup ketchup, 1cup beef broth & add some herbs to your liking. Paprika, sage, cumin, bay leaves, & a little tarragon are the ones I like to add. The liquid should cover the ham about 2/3rds of the way up. Cover with aluminum foil & cook at 300 for 45 minutes per pound. Also, brown onions in a skillet, then add to the bottom of the pan before putting the roast on top of them.

The other thing I’ve thought about for a roast I’d like to try is a barbecoa recipe. Similar to the idea above, but using more Mexican spices, just broth, & peppers.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
If inwas wanting venison BBQ I would use a neck roast. They work very well. I would dry rub it as I would a Boston butt and lard it with beef or pork fat. Sauce of your choice. Cole slaw. Delicious!