made a variant of a recipe from the RMEF,,,but basically followed their recipe

• 3 lb. venison stew meat cut into 1-2 inch cubes
  • 1/4 stick of butter
  • 4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 1-2 T. olive oil
  • 3 yellow onions, chopped
  • 3 T. dark brown sugar
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 16 oz. dark beer (see sidebar below left)
  • 1 c. chicken stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 t. dried thyme
  • 1 t. apple cider vinegar
  • ¼ c. chopped parsley
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add butter and bacon and cook until bacon is crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.

Dry venison cubes with paper towels then salt and pepper generously. Add olive oil to pan. Add one-third of the meat, to avoid overcrowding (which causes the meat to steam rather than brown). Raise temperature to high and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate. Repeat twice for the remaining meat.

Add onions and brown sugar to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low, stirring occasionally, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 2 more minutes.

Raise heat to medium-high. Add beer and scrape the bottom to dislodge the tasty brown bits. Pour mixture from the pan into a large pot or Dutch oven

Bring to a boil and add reserved bacon, venison, and accumulated juices. Add chicken stock, bay leaf, and thyme. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Before serving, remove cover and raise heat to medium. Simmer 10-30 minutes until liquid reaches a sauce-like consistency. Stir in vinegar and parsley.

I served with egg noodles, but would work well with dumplings (northern or southern versions, mashed potatoes, or rice.

it was fittin' if I do say so,,,,thanks to the Carnivore's Kitchen for the recipe idea

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
8faecad89598e5bd6b7c37baf40a04cd.jpg

Tasty tasty tasty(y). Next time, less sugar, more onion, fresh parsley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Love this stuff…got an American Test Kitchen cookbook for Christmas and decided to try theirs….It ain’t much different, but we liked it better. We just subbed some of our bone broth, and venison roast, as usual👍1A982CB0-B8CF-4983-BD47-A788C5E0BB8F.jpeg