Venison Burger Help

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have a venison burger recipe that I really like. I add chopped bacon, grease, sauteed garlic and onions, and an egg to the ground venison. The meat itself is amazing. The struggle is getting them up off the grill without losing more of the burger than I'd like.

What's the best solution? Oil the grill? Hotter or Colder grill?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Clean the grill well before using and make sure it is good and hot. If the burger sears well it should hold together with that egg. That is if you let it cook long enough before turning.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you thought about using a grill mat? I use them and am very happy with the way they work. No grease drips down on the heat source plus cleanup is easy. With the thinner ones you still get the grill marks on the meat.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Have you thought about using a grill mat? I use them and am very happy with the way they work. No grease drips down on the heat source plus cleanup is easy. With the thinner ones you still get the grill marks on the meat.

I have a griddle that would work similarly on the grill that I may use.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Are you putting the meat on cold or room temperature?

Need to put them on the grill cold. Don't grind it too fine and don't fiddle with the meat (some folks like to play with it too much). I only add garlic, lawrys, and black pepper. Flip sparingly.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Are you putting the meat on cold or room temperature?

Need to put them on the grill cold. Don't grind it too fine and don't fiddle with the meat (some folks like to play with it too much). I only add garlic, lawrys, and black pepper. Flip sparingly.
Try to put them on the grill cold but maybe I need to pay more attention to that.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
mash'em flat and bigger around...not so thick.....skip the solid stuff and use the oil, olive or vege.....cook them stove top in a frying pan....non-stick....

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Allegro for 1 hour.
Grill as hot as possible.
5 minutes on each side.
Maybe a little more for your linking.
Do NOT over cook.

I’m talking straight venison no beef fat.

Very good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Melt butter. Pour over the well drained ground meat. Put in the fridge so it firms up. Then hand mix and patty out more into flat balls than a flat patty. Yes I like bacon eggs garlic peppers and onions mixed in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Its likely the grease, making too wet.
I'd skip it next time, and make sure the egg cooks...and maybe add another egg.
I know if I add too much ranch or thousand island salad dressing to my burger it comes apart too easy.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I mix about 60/40 deer with 85% beef, sometimes with garlic pork sausage, and spices (different at times but I use some chili powder most times if not pork. ) I would think egg would make it stick more ?
Like most beef room temp. before cooking... But for the grill , give the patty a shot spray of non stick cooking spray.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Add one pound of cheap sausage to 4 or 5 pounds of ground venison. I do the same thing with ground beef to get rid of that nasty cow taste. :ROFLMAO: It seems to help in holding it together. Another trick is to use a bit of bread crumbs (you can even use the seasoned ones). Add just enough to your ground meat to hold it together.