Value of Truck 7.3 Diesel Super Crew

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Have to decide what to do with my truck. Might keep it for chores in summer here but considering selling. In the North being 2wd getting an idea on value is hard. Prices in south on CL seem all over and no telling what they are actually selling for.

I just had shop do a bunch of work and it needs more now so that’s the reason I’m asking value.

It’s an ‘01 F250 Super Duty SuperCrew 7.3 with 150k miles, it sits here too much only getting driven in good weather, Last year I put $1700 in Firestone Transforce tires on, Starter, 2 new Gold Batteries, new AC Clutch, new water pump, all new idler/tension pulleys, serpentine, ball joints on one side, all Motorcraft parts, after water pump flushed and used Peak Fleet again, had Mobil 1 tranny service with filter 25k miles ago, right before leaving Raleigh added the 4” exhaust because prior owner had removed and it was LOUD, probably more stuff I’m forgetting,

I let it idle the other day and Wife called when I left for work, oil puddle, so took right to local shop. I teach his kids at Sunday School and he’s so well respected all the local businesses and municipalities use him, he also has a Tech that is certified by Ford for Diesels or whatever they call it, his Tech is also building a really nice 7.3, I asked locally for a referral and got his name by all without hesitation, I’ve used him for 2 years and he’s always been straight with me,

Anyway, he said it needs HPOP Seals and Turbo Pedestal seals too. He pulled the Up Pipe and cleaned the valley well then found the leaks. He knows I don’t have time to screw around on multiple visits so he wanted to be sure and that’s one of the reasons he scrubbed the engine first and after Tech documented everything he found Dan went over it again, says a lot as busy as he is,

Truck came from TX if folks here recall me flying red eye and driving back on no sleep for 3 days. Part of the blame goes to a kid on here taking me and my then 4 year old out gigging frogs all night before my flight. Was mechanically awesome at 100k but the Seller didn’t do the body any favors the 6 mos he owned it. It’s got dents, dings, and scratches everywhere,

So with that said the Garage told me starting this year no “protruding metal or parts” for inspection, the bed had been bent where the exhaust was. In hindsight I realize that’s probably why the old owner removed the factory exhaust.

Garage also said other side ball joints had slight play. I asked him to check since the first side was done and I wanted to know if I had to budget for the other side. Local Firestone did the first side before I found Dan and I questioned only doing one side. Dan said it’s minor now but plan for replacing.

He also said the batteries weren’t good and smelled of sulfur bad meaning boil over. I’m going to exchange batteries for new ones when I get the truck.

Chip in windshield but I’ve got coverage so will replace.

Every so often the shifter needs to be wiggles to get it to start up. Dan said a module that’s mounted on side of tranny is culprit and seems cheap/easy to replace though I won’t know until I pick up and have his quotes.

So in all, a beat body, maintained 2wd 7.3 SuperCrew. Trying to decide if I replace the HPOP/Turbo Pedestal gaskets and rings then drop off at my BILs in Zebulon to sell or if it’s not worth the trip and I’m better off using it around the house.

Garage Owner was interested in buying if I sold but after discussing (I offered him to pay what he thinks is fair and I’ll take him at his word that’s how much I trust him) He talked it over with his Wife and he’s always got 15 vehicles at least from what I can tell waiting on him and he lost a Tech. His Wife wasn’t thrilled about what she called a “project” since she suspects he wants to build it like his Tech is doing. I respect him for considering her input a lot. Most of us would be like “Honey, guess what I bought!”

I’ll try and add pics but some of you might remember it from Raleigh. I’m real hesitant to sell after searching hard for a nice 4x4 99 Excursion endlessly my first year here and now with DEF deal. I’d rather convert to 4wd but listening to reality I don’t have time to even fish much or hunt a few days let alone something of that magnitude.

Please don’t take this as fishing for a Buyer. I’m not anxious to sell really. Considering options is all. My Son is college bound but staying local. I support a mission in Africa and would like him to go for the summer. A vehicle for him, college, and Africa aren’t cheap and with 3 other siblings I have to consider a lot. Realistically if I sell I won’t ever buy another. Something around here always competes for my time and money.

I’m also thinking it’ll be a full day to fix. The Ford manual said 3 hours and others said 1.5 of two people. I’m always solo and turbo pipes are a pain alone. I’m thinking as it sits I’ll be lucky to break $2500 locally. If fixed maybe 4-5k? I’ve seen pulled 7.3s with 300k sell for $13-1500 so guessing with other rust free parts it might bring 2500. Thoughts on South market and if it’s worth considering?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve also long considered giving to my Son for his first vehicle. Without pulling punches, he’s not the most attentive. A 2wd 8k# beast in the mountains that see snow or freezing temps a substantial portion of the year is dangerous for all. I would much rather buy him a 3.4 Toyota 4wd from the early 2000s. Maybe also weld on massive rubber bumpers all around?

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I like the diesel so much before the recent issue I was considering dropping a 30s to 60s body on it but even the large IH trucks were a bit narrow between fenders for a 7.3. A close Vendor’s Son is building an old International Fire Break truck (loadstar I think they were) he put dual 5 ton rear axles, machined hubs to use Ma Deuce rims, military tires brand new, etc, and it’s sweet, plus he did all the leg work designing part files so machining would be easy, I have 6 garage spots (7 technically but one doesn’t have a door) I could store a project in if it cleared the ceiling/door frame. The last part concerns me as he has a high bay. Probably more realistic as a chore truck if I keep it. Maybe put a stake body with dump on it.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Its a $5k truck in NC if it needs the repairs you say. 2WD kills it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fix it to pass inspection and keep it. Not worth getting rid of and you can't buy a replacement like it for what you may get out of it. That truck should be good for another 150k minimum.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Thankfully inspections good until Sept so I can punt on the dent for now. I’m trying to figure out when I’ll have a free weekend to deal with HPOP gasket/o-rings, Right now I’m guessing hunting season, maybe, I’m balancing finishing the remodel projects, prepping yard/building fire pit for graduation party, and working at a new Greenfield in CT. The CT Site is easily 6 mos and there’s still putting the lofted bedroom and kitchen in the finished multi level basement for college son. I need three of me...

Sounds like it might be worth the transport fee to send to Zebulon vs. selling here if that’s the route I go.

I agree on life span Eric. That’s why I traveled so far to buy it when I did. I’m a fan of the 7.3 and when the water pump and this recent issue occurred it never stranded me. Both times I made it home and then to the garage. Only time it stranded me was the spare tire in Fayetteville during the trek down from PA to SC for a gator hunt. That was entirely my fault for failing to even verify I had tools and spare key after purchasing years before. Couldn’t ask for a better performing truck.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Then again, if I time it right I can fix HPOP and drive to NC to drop off just in time for deer season. Of course since I made the trip I’ll have to stay a week and hunt?