Vacation? Beach Or Mountains?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
PREACH!!!!! Living in Sevierville and very very close to Pigeon Forge, it’s no different here crowd wise than any beach I’ve ever been to. Anytime I go to town I think “what the hell is here for people to vacation for week?!?!” I appreciate them tho because it keeps my property taxes low. I just simply don’t understand the draw.
Both my wife and I are beach people. You give me Oak Island in mid/late October, and you will find me in my happy place. Nothing like 300 yards between you and the next person on the beach!!

We were there week before last, and the first time I had been in many years. I couldn't get over how much it's grown since my last visit, especially that Pigeon Forge and Seveirville have grown together. Good thing I really had no agenda and just took it easy while there. Traffic has become terrible and people everywhere.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Being from the mountains and now living near the beach, I have to choose mountains. But I have come to appreciate the coast more now that I’ve taken up saltwater fishing and seen how much better the duck hunting can be here! If I’m going to the mountains for a trip, I don’t want touristy spots like Gatlinburg or what have you, I prefer going back home to WV and doing outdoors activities.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
We were there week before last, and the first time I had been in many years. I couldn't get over how much it's grown since my last visit, especially that Pigeon Forge and Seveirville have grown together. Good thing I really had no agenda and just took it easy while there. Traffic has become terrible and people everywhere.

I hear ya. We have older friends that will stop by and either stay with us or just come by to say hey. Many have not been here in 20-30 years. First thing they’ll always say is “we didn’t recognize this place!!!”

I’ll add, unlike Oak Island, where we go to vacation, it’s a unrecognizable place comparing summer to fall/winter. That whole island is about as uncrowded as you could wish for. But here, it’s packed to the gills every week and weekend of the year. I go by the Wilderness of the Smokies lodge 3-4 times a week. It’s packed 365 days a year.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I’ve said it before and I’ll stick by it. The beach is best enjoyed by women of all ages, children and old men. If you see a guy between 22-70 on the beach I’d almost guarantee he’s drinking beer or chasing his kids. For all you beach loving guys, I’d challenge you to go and not drink.
Now the coast is a different matter, boating, fishing, eating is fun. Sitting in the heat and watching waves is not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve said it before and I’ll stick by it. The beach is best enjoyed by women of all ages, children and old men. If you see a guy between 22-70 on the beach I’d almost guarantee he’s drinking beer or chasing his kids. For all you beach loving guys, I’d challenge you to go and not drink.
Now the coast is a different matter, boating, fishing, eating is fun. Sitting in the heat and watching waves is not.

I think I’ve been to the OBX 10x in the last two years and have drank one night....then again I’m fishing and constantly engaged In fishing or something to do with fishing, or sleeping.

nckeith

Ten Pointer
I think I’ve been to the OBX 10x in the last two years and have drank one night....then again I’m fishing and constantly engaged In fishing or something to do with fishing, or sleeping.

That’s my point. Fishing is an activity. Just sitting sober on a beach sweating while watching the sun bakes you seems about impossible for most men. Outside of high school or college do a group of men spend a day at the beach with beach chairs and books? Just hanging out. Not that I’ve observed. I’d go to the coast and fish just about any day thougj

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just sitting sober on a beach sweating while watching the sun bakes you seems about impossible for most men. Outside of high school or college do a group of men spend a day at the beach with beach chairs and books? Just hanging out. Not that I’ve observed.

Exactly! If it weren't for women, the beach house rental market would dry up completely. I'm at the beach for about 20 minutes with my family before I'm up and looking for something to do besides sit there and watch my skin melt off of my body. Honestly, I'd be far happier just staying home alone instead of serving as an unpaid Sherpa, carrying everybody's stuff to and from the beach...

Now, if it were October and the fish were running close to the beach where I could surf fish, that'd be another matter entirely...

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns

Your challenge sucks, it's not even a challenge.

I could call a challenge to all guys to not include alcoholic beverages while doing any activity such as fishing, golfing, softball league, etc. Who gives a rat's donkey? If that's your fancy to be drunk or buzzing, then by all means do it.

Instead I challenge you to grab a board and grab a wave.

I spend most of my time in the water...... sober.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Not much of a challenge. I spend about three months out of the year on a beach either in NC or Fla. Most of the time I'm fishing, but some of the time I just sit still and enjoy the waves. Occasionally, I'll have a beer, but that's not a necessity. If you make anything a chore, there's no pleasure in it. Staying at home and doing the same thing daily is a chore for me.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I prefer the mountains (smaller towns), but wife wants to go back to Gatlinburg. So, we’re headed there in July to fight traffic. She used to be a beach person, but has started favoring the mountains. We bought a house with a pool, so she claims to have her own personal beach just without the sand/traffic/parking. Her and the dogs will chill by the pool for hours, sometimes she takes her laptop out there and works.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
As I live five miles from Wrightsville Beach (and in the Wilmington City Limits) I'd recommend that everybody go to the mountains for their vacation. I'd go there myself but that's a long drive just to find bumpy ground. Just kidding, come on down and spend lots of money to help keep my taxes down. I rarely see the beach unless it's from a boat or a pier but I hear it's really nice.