VA opener

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Did they ever pass anything to protect the elk spilling over from KY?
In Va with the exception of a few counties, if you see an elk and it’s deer season, it’s fair game. Provided that it’s a legal animal as in can only kill cow elk on either sex day.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Wow, thought they changed that. Wonder if any have been taken.
Several
There was one killed in the county I live in back in 2018. A raghorn.
There aren’t a lot killed, most of the ones that are in Va are in Wise, Buchanan, and Dickenson counties where they are protected. I know they released some in Buchanan county, and maybe the other counties as well.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Anybody getting after em this weekend? I’ll probably give em a whirl(y)
Didnt you just allow that you would never waste a tag on a fall turkey? :)
I heard a gang this am on the roost while fishing this am. It almost made me want to go to va. they were really dumb answering my feeble natural voice imitations.
But then i saw all the deer activity and came to my senses. I think it's about time to get serious on the whitetails.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Didnt you just allow that you would never waste a tag on a fall turkey? :)
I heard a gang this am on the roost while fishing this am. It almost made me want to go to va. they were really dumb answering my feeble natural voice imitations.
But then i saw all the deer activity and came to my senses. I think it's about time to get serious on the whitetails.
Missing that gobbler, on the last evening, left a bad taste in my mouth.

Besides, it’s not like I can find 3 to shoot anyway. All them birds up there now gonna be gone time season comes in this spring:rolleyes:

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I might shoot one but will be with arrow. Bunch coming into small food plot everyday.

Attachments

• 08D747CC-4CB2-412A-8B98-AE2D42E2882C.png
    08D747CC-4CB2-412A-8B98-AE2D42E2882C.png
    337.3 KB · Views: 53

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well if anyone is going to go, I know you aint hungry and I know you need a challenge and we can just sit on our butts the rest of the winter watching for a deer SO try and get a flock scatter and call them back.
You'll have to walk a little but it is sure is more lively than ambushing them. and after all who doesnt like to make a kee kee call? :)

and now is the time to go before they have been messed with or busted by hounds. Once that starts they may not reassemble as well. ime.
Good Luck.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Missing that gobbler, on the last evening, left a bad taste in my mouth.

I've missed more the last 3 spring seasons that I have all the rest put together. The eyes are the first thing to go... Finally broke down and put a couple red dots on guns.... Hope to put a red dot on a head this fall and see if I got it dialed in right....

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've missed more the last 3 spring seasons that I have all the rest put together. The eyes are the first thing to go... Finally broke down and put a couple red dots on guns.... Hope to put a red dot on a head this fall and see if I got it dialed in right....
well handicapping yourself with little guns isnt helping any. :)

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
well if anyone is going to go, I know you aint hungry and I know you need a challenge and we can just sit on our butts the rest of the winter watching for a deer SO try and get a flock scatter and call them back.
You'll have to walk a little but it is sure is more lively than ambushing them. and after all who doesnt like to make a kee kee call? :)

and now is the time to go before they have been messed with or busted by hounds. Once that starts they may not reassemble as well. ime.
Good Luck.
That’s the plan:)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Fine morning for a walk in the woods, let’s say I know about 5 miles of where they ain’t(y)
Fall hunting is good for exercise but with fall flocks it can get real boring till it ain't. Hopefully you'll run into some I've wandered through ntnl forest feeling like looking for needle in the forest

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I expect I’ll give em a go. You get done or fed up with them deer come on we’ll get after em(y)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Heading north tomorrow then I'll add some more miles to list of where they ain't gonna get warmish this week go figure

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dang thread is useless with no pics!!

-------------------------
may have to take two of my dogs up that way,,,

couple of my deer dogs (1/2 Elhew setter / 1/2 mixed up hound) ran the heck out of a flock of turkeys on Monday,,,,canopy was thick enough the birds didn'd fly till they ran 300 yards and hit the clearcut,,,,standers said the three dogs were not that far behind the birds

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
74eb184b9c7941f074e246969b9f7fa4.jpg

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
0706f3acf092748b6154239d7b080d38.jpg

2410b6b80f7f4b25e113c5e85e8c988b.jpg

Walked a lot and and finally struck this jake at 1:30. He ate up a kee kee run. I was on a steep ridge beside a creek, and he answered as I was about to drop and cross the creek. I had to climb up the hill to get to a point where I could lean against a tree and see about 25 yds ahead while I stood up. He came down the hill, answering each kee-kee run. He even did a keekee-yelp-gobble run. Pretty cool to get them vocal like that this time of year. He was by himself...

Last edited: