Uwharrie River

Carolinacrazy25

Button Buck
Looking to do some wade fishing on the Uwharrie River. Never been so just looking to see if it’s actually wadeable (no kayak). Also where would the best place to try? Looking mainly to catch bass

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty shallow usually around low water bridge.some shallows along the forest service road off 109,obviously after this rain it will be awhile though.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I used to do it a lot. Be warned, it is trashy as hell, wear an old pair of tennis shoes or something. I think every red neck in the world over the past century has thrown beer bottles in and shot them. The bottom everywhere has broken glass on it. I have come up on people with badly cut feet over the years both when I was working and when I was fishing it that was either wading or swimming and stumbled across some barefoot.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I used to do it a lot. Be warned, it is trashy as hell, wear an old pair of tennis shoes or something. I think every red neck in the world over the past century has thrown beer bottles in and shot them. The bottom everywhere has broken glass on it. I have come up on people with badly cut feet over the years both when I was working and when I was fishing it that was either wading or swimming and stumbled across some barefoot.
Unreal how much broken glass is there. We never wade there. A boat is your friend

curdog

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've only waded that river once, caught a few fish but I did get the worst case of chiggers I've ever had. Looked like I got peppered with bird shot.... and then shot a few more times. I think we went in right down the road from el Dorado. We parked at a USFS gate and walked in, don't remember much except for the itching.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've only waded that river once, caught a few fish but I did get the worst case of chiggers I've ever had. Looked like I got peppered with bird shot.... and then shot a few more times. I think we went in right down the road from el Dorado. We parked at a USFS gate and walked in, don't remember much except for the itching.
I would honestly rather be peppered as long as it wasn't extremely close. We were talking about chiggers down east this weekend. Been quite a while since I have had a dose as I am a serious sprayer. I keep a squirt bottle in all my vehicles of home brew permethrin. I absolutely hate those things.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How are the smallmouth doing in that river? I had a friend that caught some pretty good ones out of there years ago, the community colleges taxidermy program actually mounted it for him.

Do they still stock that or did the smallmouth ever successfuly spawn?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The smallmouth were stocked back in the 1970s

Smallies were never stocked in the Uwharrie...........they were stocked in Barnes Creek and 1 other creek but not the uwharie . It didnt take them long to find the uwharriebut that is not hwere they were stocked. Just like the Cape fear has spots the state did not stock them in the Cape fear. Uper little, lower little , Advents and parkers creek were stocked.