Uwharrie National Forest Spots

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'm gonna give you some real good advice that some would call me an idiot for. When hunting mtn national forest birds don't waste time walking miles on end looking for scratching, droppings, or tracks. These are woods birds droppings in leafy woods are difficult to see tracks don't get left except in few places like roads which everyone walks and sees and they are very transient in feeding so you may find scratching and never see bird there again. Those scouting methods work great for 3/4 of state but suck and are mostly waste of time for ntnl forest mtn birds. These places aren't full of birds I can take you on miles of walking without hearing a gobble one so if you waste precious time then odds are you'll eat tags. Now the way to scout sparse populations of birds in heavy wooded rugged areas is what I said above go as many mornings as you can find as many roosting locations as you can and also be aware for most of the ntnl forest there isn't anything like farm fields or swamps to keep birds roosted same place day after day in spring some will but not all many will jump around and as season goes and hens get bred they'll really jump around for one reason they gotta travel to find next group hens to breed. Most important words I can tell you is an eastern turkey is and eastern turkey what changes the game is where they live and how they use the land. They will not use an eastern swamp or piedmont cut corn field like they will thousand acres of solid hardwood mtns. But once you find them you'll call to em just same and they'll eat jyst same. You don't need anyone pointing you in right direction you just need to get out and earn your spurs it'll mean more to you that way or at least does me.

np307

Ten Pointer
Anyone who wants to be handed a spot is really missing the very essence of turkey hunting that makes it special THE SCOUTING I enjoy March 17th to opening day every bit as much as gun in my hand plus no knuckleheads to deal with yet[emoji16]
One of my best experiences was last year while scouting. As I was leaving an area, I heard a hen clucking. I clucked back and she cut loose. I couldn't help myself and started cutting back fighting with her. All of a sudden, she's purring at me and getting close while a gobbler is being dragged by his collar and half-heartedly gobbling. A couple other hens are carrying on. I moved back far enough to not spook them but where I could watch them come out into the open. That hen was fired up and ready to kick my tail. I watched them for a while before they settled back down and went to feeding. Would've loved to have a gun in my hand, but it was just as fun to watch.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
One of my best experiences was last year while scouting. As I was leaving an area, I heard a hen clucking. I clucked back and she cut loose. I couldn't help myself and started cutting back fighting with her. All of a sudden, she's purring at me and getting close while a gobbler is being dragged by his collar and half-heartedly gobbling. A couple other hens are carrying on. I moved back far enough to not spook them but where I could watch them come out into the open. That hen was fired up and ready to kick my tail. I watched them for a while before they settled back down and went to feeding. Would've loved to have a gun in my hand, but it was just as fun to watch.
I love a pissed off hen they'll strut and make one heck of fuss one best calls I've found is a hollaren crystal to get one absolutely furious seems to hit that nerve

Chupita30

Button Buck
Thanks everyone for your comments. I slept on it and I can see how some people can take my question as being lazy and looking for a shortcut. That's not what I wanted and after reading some of the advice that people gave I realize that I was asking the wrong questions. I should have asked for advice on scouting and not where to scout. Some of you gave me some great tips. I'm not on here to steal your spot I am just trying to learn. You're right I am a "deer hunter" but I want to learn to hunt turkeys too. I look forward to the day I can post my successes and maybe earn some of your guys respect.

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
;)
Thanks everyone for your comments. I slept on it and I can see how some people can take my question as being lazy and looking for a shortcut. That's not what I wanted and after reading some of the advice that people gave I realize that I was asking the wrong questions. I should have asked for advice on scouting and not where to scout. Some of you gave me some great tips. I'm not on here to steal your spot I am just trying to learn. You're right I am a "deer hunter" but I want to learn to hunt turkeys too. I look forward to the day I can post my successes and maybe earn some of your guys respect.

We have some on here who wonder why they never get invited to parties!!!
:unsure:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Trust me scouting will only make you love turkey hunting more nothing like hearing that gobble in late March and anticipating tangling with home come mid April it'll make you wanna go find more and just might make them deer take a back seat

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Keep asking questions as season goes lot experienced hunters on here plus we like good stories

KrisB

Ten Pointer
maybe earn some of your guys respect.

I think you just did with that whole post. Well said. :)

Just do a new thread and post the "right" questions. Ask people how to scout on game land, what sign to look for, what kind of terrain do turkeys like, whatever. There are a lot of really helpful, seasoned hunters on this forum. People will help you. Just rewrite your questions.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you'll get a lot more info by not admitting to being a deer hunter.
they cant be trusted.
turkey hunters have none of their flaws.
Am i sounding like T om Kelly yet? :p

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Now that you mentioned him I would strongly reccomend the original poster read his material talk about getting a perspective on turkeys and turkey hunting.
The modern world is not ready for his perspectives.
His thoughts on just buying one versus killing one with some methods wouldnt play well today. ;)

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Im just shocked that LC hasnt chimed in yet....he got good spots
Nah, I heard him last week say all the turkeys had been shot out of Uwharrie.

Not in there, like the used to be,back when there was a turkey, behind every tree,and 7 or 8 in most freezers,walked 43 miles, last week only 2 gobbles, and some Jpoop,internet cowboys kilt em, in all the good spots, cept 1or 2 he knows about...;)

How bout it LC?

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
N

Notusuallybutidkwhayhereallymwanshehuntseveerydayhesgotalotofturkeysinhisfreezerfromwhayigeheardbuthatajusthearsayhealsokillsomegooddeerdowntheretoobuttheymaybenighttimekillsfromwhenhegothisturkeysbutimgonnagooutandtryemmidsayfrom11to2whilwnyoldestgoesovertomoorecounty
Funny bull :donk:donk:donk:donk there. I've killed more turkeys than black head.lol,

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
You welcome,to,go,scout it ,I may go,a time,or,2 to scout I usually hunt a few spots that I have hunted for years,it only takes,one,to kill it,I did not kill any there,lastvyear only heard a couple youth week with my boys and they did not get right to kill them,Go,see for your self and see how,many you find,is piss poor on most of it,Ok I got a,idea,lets have a Uwharrie turkey challenge on this forum this spring.everyone who talks BS go hint it and,leave your prize lands alone and hunt the gamelands and see hear you see and hear.I may kill one this year over ther but it won't be because the woods are full of them.Any good friend,that knows me and has hunted with will tell you skill and knowledge is as good as any.