USPS

WormFarmer

Button Buck
My customers just received 25 boxes of worms in a timely manner. USPS is mostly bounced back from how wonky it used to be back in December/Jan.
New plans are in place to improve their processes so the long term picture looks good.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Sometimes our mail carrier drops stuff off on the porch, when they do she turns around before leaving....by backing well onto my front lawn. Probably wouldn’t be too bad if it was ever dry. Tire tracks all over the yard, grass dead. Learn how to back out! Driveway is straight!

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I have a PO Box, same one for 40 years. Twice in the past week I have had a package at the post office and no “package notification” in my box. Yesterday I went in and asked for the package, I had tracked it and new it was there. Lady had a hissy fit because I didn’t have a notification card or whatever you want to call it. My box is about 20’ from the front desk. No way I lost it in that 20’. Next time I’m telling her they should all be fired and let UPS take over. She will lose it.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Yep looks like USPS screwed me again.

Tax stamp approved 10 of feb. Still has not showed up.
They claim it was sent that week but do not do tracking on them.
So it has been in the mail 1 month with USPS !
Sucks they lost my 200$ tax stamp.
Now I need to wait another 15 days before ATF will do anything if they do then.

Anyone else had their tax stamp lost in the mail?
Know it was going to happen at some point!

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
FEDEX is now being stupid...work for my friend part time some at his mobile home parts store in Wilson. FedEx packages from Columbia, SC can't be delivered because area of delivery is restricted and FedEx has no idea where order is.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have a PO Box, same one for 40 years...
Then you probably have the same sticker shock I have, or you will soon. Paid my bill for 6 months today and learned there was a huge increase in January, mine is now $142, or annual $284. It has been going up significantly every year, but went up about 25% just this year.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Our substitute carrier comes about an hour earlier on Sat than the regular carrier. I figured out how he can run the route so much faster than the regular carrier. Unless there is addressed mail specific to the box he leaves nothing. No junk mail on his route on Sat. LOL I guess he disposes of it and it doesn't bother me but I find it amusing.

pickle

Eight Pointer
"I am missing a package that tracking showed delivered..... bet it’s sitting in Greensboro" I get the opposite !!! While at work check tracking, still struck in Greensboro. Get home and package is there !!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Bought some used traps from an individual who shipped them Priority Flat Rate Box. They were tracking along nicely and then the updates stopped. Do not remember where but it was not Greensboro. A couple days later, I receive a plain brown box I was not expecting, My name and address handwritten on the box.

I open it and find a torn up Priority Box with 7 of the 12 traps in it with the still legible barcode label on it. I took pictures and let the shipper know what had happened. He immediately agreed to send me a refund for the missing traps and proceeded to try to file a claim with USPS.

Could not file a claim because the package was still in transit. Tried to help by reporting and showing my local PO what had happened. The young clerk was no help, said only the shipper could file a claim. Saw my route lady and she said I needed to see the Postmaster but she was at another PO filling in for someone until further notice. So I went to another PO with the package in tow. Clerk there was worthless also so I asked to see the Postmaster. She was on a conference call, no idea how long it will be......I wait and wait and wait and finally another clerk that had overheard the initial discussion brought a customer service rep out to talk to me as the Postmaster was supposedly still tied up on the phone.

Finally got the fella to understand what had happened and he scanned the bar code label to show that the package had been delivered and entered the actual date that I got the package missing nearly half the contents. This should have allowed the shipper to file a claim but he was told he could only file a claim if I gave the undamaged traps that I received back to the PO so they could throw them away. You can not make stuff like this up!

The USPS is a cluster F*^* waiting to happen when any kind of exception occurs.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Most people aren't aware that delivery standards were either relaxed or totally abolished some years ago and NOTHING has changed in that regard. The Postal Service doesn't have any barriers (equipment, technology, etc) to performance other than the incompetence of their management and employees.

There are NO mechanisms proposed, contemplated or in-place to change those deficiencies. If you experience good service from the Postal Service it's purely incidental - not because anything has changed from an organizational standpoint.

They will eventually get a Government bail-out, prices will continue to increase and service will continue to decline.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Most people aren't aware that delivery standards were either relaxed or totally abolished some years ago and NOTHING has changed in that regard. The Postal Service doesn't have any barriers (equipment, technology, etc) to performance other than the incompetence of their management and employees.

There are NO mechanisms proposed, contemplated or in-place to change those deficiencies. If you experience good service from the Postal Service it's purely incidental - not because anything has changed from an organizational standpoint.

They will eventually get a Government bail-out, prices will continue to increase and service will continue to decline.

Why are they allowed to advertise as doing so then? Selling a service for 2-3 days and getting 2-3 weeks instead is criminal. If I sold a service and constantly didn't deliver you bet your ass id be done.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Why are they allowed to advertise as doing so then? Selling a service for 2-3 days and getting 2-3 weeks instead is criminal. If I sold a service and constantly didn't deliver you bet your ass id be done.

Why? Well the short answer is because consumers keep doing business with them and they have no competition with letter mail services. The normal rules of supply and demand are not fully in play due to the quasi-monopoly the Postal Service enjoys or they would have bellied-up years ago.

I don't use the USPS for any of my personal business and I always choose other shipping options from sellers I do business with when they are available. As a taxpayer, I'll eventually have to indirectly pay for their ultimate bailout, but I'll be damned if I'm going to bankroll their trip down the rabbit hole of their indulgence and self-inflicted destruction.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The USPS has only 1 guarantee.....Express Overnight. All the others are generalizations. Read the fine print!

Some smart folks have figured out Express Mail can often be the ticket to "mostly free" shipping. If they don't deliver - you get a refund. Since they routinely fail to deliver on-time even with this service, it's really not much of a gamble.

ETA: I just found out that the Express Mail guarantee has been suspended for some time now due to ..... (what for it) .... COVID. How convenient that must be ......

Last edited:

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
ETA: I just found out that the Express Mail guarantee has been suspended for some time now due to ..... (what for it) .... COVID. How convenient that must be ......

This is false. The last Express suspension lasted 5 days(ended February 25th), due to the winter weather/power outage Texas had.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Just a personal exprience. Living on the state line, I have to use the VA branch of the post office. Twice now, once before Christmas and again last Friday I mailed a package to my cousine outside Oakland, CA. Just regular mail, put stamps on it and go. The one mailed Friday morning arrived the following Monday afternoon, as did the one mailed before Christmas.

I had an insurance claim because of the recent hail storm. It took 5 days for the check to get here from Henderson. But it has to go to Raleigh, Greensboro, Richmond, Danville and Virgilina to get here.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I realize USPS piggybacks commercial flights on occasion, but there wasn't an easier way to get to California with a box of lead?Screenshot_20210425-082146.png

DADOGG14

Eight Pointer
Here it is October and they haven't got any better, waiting on a package that was due to be delivered on 10/6 and still not here. Tracking shows out for delivery today but she has come and gone and still no package. SMDH. I am about to quit buying from folks that ship USPS, it’s getting ridiculous.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Just recently Woods and Water sent me a care package and the two day service took six days. The box had been loosely wrapped in two layers of clear plastic, was sopping wet, covered in mold and falling apart. There were four small jars of canned goodies and dammit all a quart of canned deer meat was busted all to hell. All but three of the little airbag cushions which had been placed in the box as protection were popped and it looked as if a truck had run over it. Gives one a real warm and fuzzy!

Levi

Spike
On my road in Halifax Co has only been getting mail once a week on Wednesday’s. For a little over the last month.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Bump....reminder that IF you don't need it now it's OK to let your packages roll around in usps limbo. Amazon prime is even a week out right now instead of the 2-3 day usual

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I should know better.....geez

One package leaves Greensboro, in Maine right now...

Another has got to Greensboro and left twice....now back in Greensboro

The 3rd....MIA for 5 days