USPS, UPS, FEDEX, and AMAZON

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so far I think we've been lucky (knock on wood),,, we get everything we order in a reasonable time (except one item ordered from AAFES and delivered by some poodunk organization) and I can't recall getting other folks packages unless a neighbor wasn't home and it needed signing

country life though - not those big city fancy stuff

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Well FedEx lost my basketball that I bought for my kids. An entire goal, backboard, post and all!! I can understand losing a pair of shoes, but a frigging basketball goal??? Bad thing is it was last scanned at the Newton warehouse 10 minutes from my house. Now it’s just magically not there.

Guess someone at FedEx really wanted a basketball goal?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have been pretty lucky no real issues which is surprising since you turn off hardtop onto dirt rd then have turn again on another I'm dead end of that long dirt rd till yesterday. I ordered pair snake boots that were on sale black friday roughly they finally showed delivered yesterday which I thought was weird I'd been on porch and out and bout round house till dark didn't see any this morning out defrost truck backed up and over the package he had left it either under my truck or right against it cause I never seen it. My covered front porch woulda been maybe 7 more steps why he didn't leave it there or st least on walkway is beyond me. Luckily its boots so running over them didn't do any damage but how crazy of thing to do makes no sense. This was FedEx they had been in Newton warehouse for days before got here

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Last week, my wife received 2 unsolicited refunds (in the form of Amazon credit) for packages that didn't arrive on time, included in separate apology emails from Amazon, basically saying "These are on us."

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
fed ex guy just got arrested here in Greenville. he backed his truck up to the woods and threw out a ton of packages so he could retrieve them later. luckily most criminals are complete morons and he did this in an apartment complex and people saw him.😄

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
fed ex guy just got arrested here in Greenville. he backed his truck up to the woods and threw out a ton of packages so he could retrieve them later. luckily most criminals are complete morons and he did this in an apartment complex and people saw him.😄
Apartment complex? I’m surprised the evidence didn’t disappear.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Last week, my wife received 2 unsolicited refunds (in the form of Amazon credit) for packages that didn't arrive on time, included in separate apology emails from Amazon, basically saying "These are on us."
With all the "customer service" cash they return for late, damaged, or missing items you got to wonder what the mark up is for Bezos to still make it into space....

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I can't decide which is worse, usps or fed-ex.

I live on a dead end street with 14 houses on it. We are not "allowed" to have our own mailbox. We have one of those big silver community boxes like you would see at a trailer park. I have to exchange mail with my neighbors every evening because they cannot get mail into the proper box. They do not care.

I went to see the post master to see if we could all have our own mailbox like every other house in America and was told no. Why pressed as to why, they said because they didnt feel like sending a carrier down our street. Period....even though they come down our street everyday to deliver over-sized parcels. SMDH....

The past 2 Sundays the same usps carrier has came down our street, delivering amazon shipments. Each Sunday he has had to come down the street 3 separate times because he didn't deliver all the boxes on the first trip down the street. Talk about efficient !!

I have dealt with UPS and FedEx everyday for the past 20 years. My FE guy now is the worst. He is a young 20ish year old guy. He is un-kept, hair all tussled over his head. He wears mis-matched socks and shoes, looks like he just crawled out of bed and is still wearing his pajamas. He looks like he has smoked enough dope to get Bob Marley higher than a kite and just tosses boxes around like he doesn't care. He can barely lift 15 lbs......

I have become firmly convinced that people just do not care anymore.
All of the new developments that I've seen have that. As I understand it it's a cost cutting measure. Not that different than when I lived in an Apartment but there the guy got the right mail in the right slots.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
With all the "customer service" cash they return for late, damaged, or missing items you got to wonder what the mark up is for Bezos to still make it into space....

And yet, they have a selection of 350 million products, and can have it at your front door in 2 days with 98% accuracy for the same price you could drive to the store and buy it. IF the store even had it. Which they usually don’t.

I find that amazing. Fundamentally, I’m not a fan of Amazon, but their ability to accomplish that is a modern miracle.

In reality, it isn’t a store its a modern marketplace full of tens of thousands of stores, selling billions of products each year. Their sales over the past 4 quarters have been over 100 Billion per quarter, over $450 Billion total! If they make 2% profit, that sounds good to me. It’s a volume game, and they’ve won.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And yet, they have a selection of 350 million products, and can have it at your front door in 2 days with 98% accuracy for the same price you could drive to the store and buy it. IF the store even had it. Which they usually don’t.

I find that amazing. Fundamentally, I’m not a fan of Amazon, but their ability to accomplish that is a modern miracle.

In reality, it isn’t a store its a modern marketplace full of tens of thousands of stores, selling billions of products each year. Their sales over the past 4 quarters have been over 100 Billion per quarter, over $450 Billion total! If they make 2% profit, that sounds good to me. It’s a volume game, and they’ve won.

exactly,,,,

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a rare case with Amazon where I paid the extra shipping to get my order faster. The order did not arrive in the specified time frame so I contacted them to get the extra shipping charge refunded since the item was delivered on the free shipping schedule. They processed a refund for the entire order. I figured they would eventually realize their mistake and bill me for the cost of the item but they never did.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

The markup is enough to make one consider opening an Amazon FBA. And it doesn't limit you to just selling in the US. You can market products to only the UK, bought and shipped from China to a UK warehouse for $1.15 + storage & seller fees, be in it for $3.75-$5 and sell it all day for $18.99

We've ordered from there several times, and will in the future.

2 items on guaranteed long term business isn't a drop in the bucket.

If I'm not mistaken, sellers can opt in on the refund of a product, under circumstances such as that, for reduced Amazon seller fees.

pickle

Eight Pointer
I live at the end of a dirt road. And I agree they all suck !!! I have had problems with all of them. The USPS use to be the best but now they too do not deliver my packages.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you know what a 1 year old black lab does to gun cases in a cardboard box that is propped up against the handrail? That's right, they have teeth marks on them. chewed the boxes up and started on the gun cases.

All he had to do was walk up 3 steps and put them in side of the screened porch. UPS and USPS both do it, but FEDEX can't climb steps.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Fortunately my 10-12 orders came in over a week and a half ago, all earlier than expected and right on time. Since it'll be a solo Christmas for the first time in 29 years, figured what the he!!, I'm going all out for myself 😁

Nevertheless, while out & about yesterday, I saw about 15-20 UPS trucks all parked together at a local gas station on HWY 268, and just about every one of the dudes in brown were wearing Orange "Temporary Driver" vests, and they all looked like "Al Bundy." That's what popped in my head 😁

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have not had any issues other then not so brite drivers leaving packages at the never used front door when they have to walk past the screened porch. I've worked at ups and I'm pretty amazed they don't get thi gs screwed up more.
I think it is pretty impressive how they able to deliver as quickly as they do.

now I can not say anything good about the food delivery services running around these days. Used them a few times and stopped. kinda scary how bad they are let alone what they look like. I do NOT want most of them remotely near my food.😄

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think FEDEX has reached a new low this year. I would put them below the USPS at this point! My ebay packages shipped with USPS have moved pretty good here lately. (I probably just jinxed myself) I have been able to ship with UPS for about the same price as USPS with the ebay shipping discounts so have been going that route lately with some bigger items.

Last edited:

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I think FEDEX has reached a new low this year. I would put them below the USPS at this point! My ebay packages shipped with USPS have moved pretty good here lately. (I probably just jinxed myself) I have been able to ship with UPS for about the same price as UPS with the ebay shipping discounts so have been going that route lately with some bigger items.
I've thought about using UPS only. It's just not as convenient and that's really the only thing that has stopped me. I ship on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week. They might be able to pick up from my house, so I wouldn't have to drive to them. I need to check into that, because I can't stand USPS.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've thought about using UPS only. It's just not as convenient and that's really the only thing that has stopped me. I ship on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week. They might be able to pick up from my house, so I wouldn't have to drive to them. I need to check into that, because I can't stand USPS.
I am lucky, there is a pack n ship in Wilson ( does DHL, UPS, USPS and FEDEX) and my wife drives by there everyday to and from work. Seems like the UPS shipping on Ebay has a bigger discount here lately.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I did finally get a check for cleaning up the FedEx truck oil spill on my driveway. That truck must have been pumping out about a quart a mile. Took them several months but they finally sent me a check for the full amount of the estimate.

Mgunns

Spike
Well FedEx lost my basketball that I bought for my kids. An entire goal, backboard, post and all!! I can understand losing a pair of shoes, but a frigging basketball goal??? Bad thing is it was last scanned at the Newton warehouse 10 minutes from my house. Now it’s just magically not there.

Guess someone at FedEx really wanted a basketball goal?
It's not lost. More than likely, and no disrespect. Can you imagine the thousands of packages needing g to be delivered then here's an entire basketball goal post. I'm just saying. They can't even fit that in their vehicles.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It's not lost. More than likely, and no disrespect. Can you imagine the thousands of packages needing g to be delivered then here's an entire basketball goal post. I'm just saying. They can't even fit that in their vehicles.
The second one I ordered showed up in 2 days. It fit in that vehicle just fine. And it got here 2 days before Christmas. Thank you UPS. FedEx sucks!!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Funny, I had an Amazon order that according to the email was scheduled to arrive Friday before noon via UPS. It didn't make it. Then another email later in the day rescheduling delivery for Monday and I'm thinking, "Ok, here we go, a flurry of emails all next week and it might make it here by next weekend"......
It was a small, nonessential item, no big deal. And then about 7PM out of nowhere Cowboy goes off and I walk out to see the big brown truck bouncing up my driveway. Guess he needed the OT....

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Ordered two spools of wire. They shipped at the same time. One got here two days later. The other made it to Greensboro and is now taking the scenic route to Wanchese, NC through Arizona.
1641909985189.jpeg