USPS, UPS, FEDEX, and AMAZON

JoeSam1975

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Must can't read addresses. All of them have left packages belonging and addressed to someone else at my house within the last month. They have to drive 400 yards up my driveway. I am glad I know my "neighbors" and am honest. Probably somewhere, someone is going to be missing some presents that were "delivered"

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Haven’t had that problem yet but constantly having issues placing a order and have both my PO Box and physical address listed but it says seller can’t ship to PO Box so I must change the address. Then they ship it with Fedex Smartpost or UPS Surepost and the lady at Post Office has a hissy fit about the address.

If I was UPS, I’d keep as much distance between myself and the other two as I could.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We live on Wittens Mill Rd and constantly get packages for the corresponding address on Wittens Valley Rd. Those rds are 15 miles apart easily, and not even in the same zip code.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I deal with USPS everyday. They have cost me some money over the last couple of years, but I figured out how to come out to the good in the end. FedEx is horrible. I would never, ever use them. UPS is the best by far, but sometimes can be inconvenient.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Fedex is the worst in my book. I live a long way off the road, can't even see the turnoff, and they insist on leaving packages on the side of the road, anywhere from 6 to 20 feet from my mailbox post. I don't even know if they slow down before pitching it out. USPS, Amazon, and UPS all take the driveway to the house and leave packages on my covered porch. Repeated calls to Fedex do no good. Nothing like coming home from work and seeing something you ordered lying in the rain, getting splashed by traffic

Last edited:

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had Fedex leave a long gun in a public hallway outside the door of an FFL (they delivered when he was closed for lunch. Luckily it was a slow day at the building. The FFL was real curious to see what his supposed signature looked like on the paperwork.

v8stang289

Eight Pointer
Fedex, twice in one week, left my packages on a neighbor's porch. Street numbers aren't even close. I just happened to see them on his porch and went over to talk. Called fedex when they showed delivered but I didn't have them, they said check with your neighbors and call us back. No accountability or care at all. How hard is it when all the houses in this stretch have signs at the road with reflective, 3" high numbers.

and USPS.... My FFL lives 3 miles down the road and I ship to him often with GB or individual purchases . A few months ago I had a S&W model 10 going to him. Checked tracking at lunch to see "delivered: left in mailbox"
I was like uhhhhh... wtf...
so I texted him to let him know what shipping was saying. He checked and lo and behold, they left the revolver in his mailbox.
A firearm, signature required, to an FFL, was left in his mailbox.

UPS is the only one locally that is worth a Eff

Last edited:

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Fedex is the worst in my book. I live a long way off the road, can't even see the turnoff, and they insist on leaving packages on the side of the road, anywhere from 6 to 20 feet from my mailbox post. I don't even know if they slow down before pitching it out. USPS, Amazon, and UPS all take the driveway to the house and leave packages on my covered porch. Repeated calls to Fedex do no good. Nothing like coming home from work and seeing something you ordered lying in the rain, getting splashed by traffic
I had someone from USPS do that to me the other day. The idiot laid the package, which was a phone, in front of the mailbox. When I got home it was about one foot from the white line on the edge of the road.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I can't decide which is worse, usps or fed-ex.

I live on a dead end street with 14 houses on it. We are not "allowed" to have our own mailbox. We have one of those big silver community boxes like you would see at a trailer park. I have to exchange mail with my neighbors every evening because they cannot get mail into the proper box. They do not care.

I went to see the post master to see if we could all have our own mailbox like every other house in America and was told no. Why pressed as to why, they said because they didnt feel like sending a carrier down our street. Period....even though they come down our street everyday to deliver over-sized parcels. SMDH....

The past 2 Sundays the same usps carrier has came down our street, delivering amazon shipments. Each Sunday he has had to come down the street 3 separate times because he didn't deliver all the boxes on the first trip down the street. Talk about efficient !!

I have dealt with UPS and FedEx everyday for the past 20 years. My FE guy now is the worst. He is a young 20ish year old guy. He is un-kept, hair all tussled over his head. He wears mis-matched socks and shoes, looks like he just crawled out of bed and is still wearing his pajamas. He looks like he has smoked enough dope to get Bob Marley higher than a kite and just tosses boxes around like he doesn't care. He can barely lift 15 lbs......

I have become firmly convinced that people just do not care anymore.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My UPS and Fedex guys are great. Sensible, polite, and sometimes will go the extra mile if they know it's an identifiable present. They always walk the package up to the porch and set it on the bench, instead of tossing it on the sidewalk as some have done. Even our USPS lady, I'm going to have to give credit to - she quit putting the wrong mail in our box after about 3 years on the job, so she's finally settling into her job.

It's all about the people. If your local people care, you'll get good service. This time of year though you get fill-ins and all bets are off.

JoeSam1975

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Fedex was at my house on a BUDGET rental truck backed up to my side porch the other evening around 6:30. We were not home but drove up while he was there. I got out pistol in hand and wife had called her dad and he was on the way with 911 already typed on her phone. He cut his interior light, and then I could tell he was wearing a FEDEX uniform. Guess what, wrong address for package. I just told him to go and I would take the package to the person for him. He was vary thankful and made the comment "they gonna have to give me a FEDEX truck if I am driving around the country roads after dark." He was a contractor and completely lost even using his GPS. Asked me where the next 2 addresses were.

The only complaint I have with UPS is them not driving up my driveway, but leaving my packages under my in-laws carport which is at the end of our driveway at the road.

The last lithium batteries I ordered from AMAZON were free. Had them delivered to work and they were scanned "delivered left in resident's mailbox". No batteries for 3 days. I contact Amazon and they give a refund....batteries came the next WEEK.

timekiller13

Twelve Pointer
Had an Amazon delivery person who was literally throwing my packages over the fence into my yard from the neighbors house because “they couldn’t figure out where my driveway was.”

Ordered a basketball goal for Christmas for my kids. It’s been sitting in the fedex warehouse in Newton since Nov 26. I called and asked why it hadn’t been delivered. They said it won’t fit in the regular fedex vans so they are waiting on a big delivery truck. I asked if I could just come to the warehouse and get it. They said due to safety reasons I could not do that….

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
We get to know our neighbors in the subdivision by exchanging mis-delivered mail and packages every evening and on the weekends. Ugh.

Most recently a check from my mom (won't us paypal or venmo) was returned to her as no such number. And it had my correct address!

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Given the unrealistic turnaround times expected, I'm amazed that so many packages get to their correct destination in a day or two.

Drivers are asked to deliver too many packages too quickly to unfamiliar destinations...

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Here's my Prime story. I work at the local high school. We started seeing Prime packages showing up at the school that were not addressed to the school. They would not come back and get them and deliver them to the proper address when we called them. When they pulled up the office staff would run out there and tell them not to leave the package at the door. They started driving around the school and leaving them at other doors at the side and rear of the school. I confronted one lady driver once and she said the app they used said to deliver it there and if she doesn't she gets in trouble. I asked her how hard it was to pull up the address on the box and deliver it there and she got a little miffed. I have probably contacted 5 people on facebook to get them their packages. I've driven two up to the apartment complex office two miles up the road. Contrast that with this: My wife showed me a picture that was sent by Amazon showing the package that was delivered that day on our porch.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fedex was at my house on a BUDGET rental truck backed up to my side porch the other evening around 6:30. We were not home but drove up while he was there. I got out pistol in hand and wife had called her dad and he was on the way with 911 already typed on her phone. He cut his interior light, and then I could tell he was wearing a FEDEX uniform.
That is very common. Especially during the holidays, when they don't have enough trucks for all of the deliveries.

I think we've had about every kind of rental truck and unmarked van or sedan here. They should definitely have some kind of designation to ID themselves. A lighted magnetic sign would be good. If the pizza companies can do it, they can too.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i'm lucky, i have all my packages sent to my work....had a case down here of a delivery company running over a persons dog in the yard.....that would be bad if that happened at my house.....

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
That is very common. Especially during the holidays, when they don't have enough trucks for all of the deliveries.

I think we've had about every kind of rental truck and unmarked van or sedan here. They should definitely have some kind of designation to ID themselves. A lighted magnetic sign would be good. If the pizza companies can do it, they can too.
You are correct, Sky Hawk! I did 20+ years at FedEx Express (the original company...not FedEx Ground, the former RPS)...and we did have extra rental vans for the holiday season. You are correct in that they should be marked. They gave us magnetic FedEx Express with logo signs to put on each side of the van.
For the record, we at FedEx Express absolutely HATED that the Powers That Be in Memphis decided to buy RPS and change their name to FedEx Ground. It has created a lot of confusion and rightfully so. Ground couriers are all Contractors and get paid per each package delivered, whereas we at Express were paid hourly, had mechanics on duty at the station, etc.
I am happily retired, but my friends still on the job that are 20+ year employees are not pleased with the caliber of courier being hired these days. I feel everyone's frustration and understand why.

BuzzCut

Ten Pointer
I had Fedex leave a long gun in a public hallway outside the door of an FFL (they delivered when he was closed for lunch. Luckily it was a slow day at the building. The FFL was real curious to see what his supposed signature looked like on the paperwork.
If the courier falsified a delivery like that, because an FFL is signature required, then they should be fired on the spot.

JoeSam1975

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I know it's common, but all the trucks used to have the magnetic signs on the doors letting you know it was fedex. They use them year round here.

I think we've had about every kind of rental truck and unmarked van or sedan here. They should definitely have some kind of designation to ID themselves. A lighted magnetic sign would be good. If the pizza companies can do it, they can to

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You are correct, Sky Hawk! I did 20+ years at FedEx Express (the original company...not FedEx Ground, the former RPS)...and we did have extra rental vans for the holiday season. You are correct in that they should be marked. They gave us magnetic FedEx Express with logo signs to put on each side of the van.
For the record, we at FedEx Express absolutely HATED that the Powers That Be in Memphis decided to buy RPS and change their name to FedEx Ground. It has created a lot of confusion and rightfully so. Ground couriers are all Contractors and get paid per each package delivered, whereas we at Express were paid hourly, had mechanics on duty at the station, etc.
I am happily retired, but my friends still on the job that are 20+ year employees are not pleased with the caliber of courier being hired these days. I feel everyone's frustration and understand why.

Learned that difference this week but thanks!! You just gave me the "why" on a discussion relating to those two entities the other day

so early in the day, a FEDEX Ground contractor (white panel truck with a very small FEDEX contractor sign on side of vehicle) came and dropped something off

not an hour later, here comes a Fedex Express van (proper colors etc) and drops off something else

I mentioned to the FEDEX Express driver if two different shipping points were involved - he said "yes, that was likely FEDEX Ground" and he had a real look of contempt/irritation/etc (not sure how to describe it) on his face,,, like I had brought up legs during an 82nd Airborne reunion or something,,,,

I couldn't figure the look until you explained the difference in the two companies,,,

so now I know "the rest of the story"