Moved Using dogs for deer

Wv67

Ten Pointer
I’ve never done it being in WVA I guess my question is why the use of dogs , is the territory to thick to hunt from stands or the ground or not many deer was just curious and for the record not against it in any way love to hear dogs run , and what kind of hounds y’all use thanks

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Most of the dog hunters I know love the comradery of getting together and talking on the radios chasing the deer around. It has its place.

Catfish, what is the difference between hunting over a corn pile versus any other food source. What if all the land you have is a cutover or a pine thicket?

catfishrus

Twelve Pointer
Most of the dog hunters I know love the comradery of getting together and talking on the radios chasing the deer around. It has its place.

Catfish, what is the difference between hunting over a corn pile versus any other food source. What if all the land you have is a cutover or a pine thicket?

Only thing I can tell you is between 3 dog hunters myself included...I can post 2 dozen bucks killed still hunting over 140". What I cannot post is a buck that scores over 120 running dogs between the three of us. We got them on trail camera but killing one in front of dogs over the past 20 years has became one of the hardest feats in the woods. Point is dog hunting isn't as easy as most people think it is.

Now if I put out corn and watch a deer on trail camera until the buck I'm after shows up on it during daylight hours...I can kill that deer even on a dog club. Killing a nice buck in front of dogs requires some degree of luck even in areas where big bucks are present. I have let mature deer go that I know I could of killed still hunting in hopes of killing them in front of dogs. All our land is cutover and pine thickets ...our club has been around long enough for the president to see it all cut at one time or another and some of it cut twice. We are a dog club first and foremost but our big deer get killed still hunting.

There is nothing quite like the rush of hearing those dogs coming your way. Seeing the deer bound out of the woods, then making the quick decision to shoot or not is quite the thrill. Sitting in a tree stand for hours can get quite boring in comparison

On a side note, I really dislike the use of the word sporting in hunting. Do you think the deer cares if it gets shot over a corn pile on a small parcel, under an oak tree on gamelands, at the edge of a bean field of some wealthy hunt club, or running from a dog? No, cause it still got shot.

I think we just need to be sure we are taking deer ethically. Accurate shots with the appropriate equipment to kill deer quickly and efficiently with minimum suffering to the animal.

Sporting should be used to show that we are conducting ourselves appropriately by abiding by rules and regulations, not infringing on others rights, or putting any one or any non-targeted animal in danger during our hunt. Respecting our quarry, as an athlete showing sportsmanship would an opponent. And showing gratitude for being able to participate.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
So you use dogs because it’s to thick in areas and legal and fun as heck I get it , Now what kind of dogs y’all use beagles , walkers Etc ? Thanks

Wv67

Ten Pointer
And what’s a man gotta do to get in on one of these hunts don’t care to shoot just hang out and enjoy the chase

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So you use dogs because it’s to thick in areas and legal and fun as heck I get it , Now what kind of dogs y’all use beagles , walkers Etc ? Thanks
Varies due to topography. In the really large tracts many use running (fox) walkers. Many others use fox walker/mix. Other use treestock as they are slower. I am just now getting back into it and I am using a breed of cur that is known for speed and nose yet is easy handling. They are the size of large beagles and aren't apt to leave the country.

Our club has an explicit rule against pure running walker stock as we don't have extremely large acreage (around 5K) and we don't want to be getting off it. Although the majority of it borders GL.

I forgot to add many clubs especially in Va. use beagles for the reasons I outlined that I am using curs.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Sweetie was born and raised in McDowell County, I've been lucky enough to have walked some WVA land. It's beautiful no doubt but I'll tell you, the difference between those woods and the ones I hunt is night and day. To see 100 yards or more in most of the WVA land I've walked was pretty commonplace. To see 100 feet down here where I hunt is near non-existent. Now take into account the massive amounts of creeks and swamps and bean fields you can hardly see the woods on the other side of...well, you'll see the need for dogs in pretty short order.
But as 300Blkout said, dog hunting is a whole lot more than just the hunt. Most of us have hunted together since our daddies could set us up on a dog box. Been known to light a fire and have a sip or two around it when the hunt was over, the dogs were in the boxes, and the rifles were put away too.....
Some around here use Walkers, some use Beagles, but to me hearing a pack of anything squallin' for every breath on a hot track coming through the woods at you is an awesome sound.....

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
And what’s a man gotta do to get in on one of these hunts don’t care to shoot just hang out and enjoy the chase

He could peruse the Dog Hunting forum a couple clicks down and probably find several guys to ask....at least thats what I'd do.
Great offer catfish!

Reactions: DRS

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Because nothing is more sporting that dumping dogs on a deer and then hunting him because at that point...he knows he is being hunted. Anybody can set on a corn pile and watch a trail camera to kill deer.

Anybody can sit there and wait for a dog to hunt up a deer for them to kill. Not that hard. And I have absolutely nothing against dog hunting if contained to property they are supposed to be on.

Dog hunting is a nice mixture between Nascar, offroad truck racing, and “rabbit” sporting clays with the fellowship of a team sport all wrapped into one. The tracking collar technology is really cool too. See which way the deer is headed on your 9” satellite image screen and radio to your buddies where to be to cut them off. Easy peasy.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Sounds like a blast to me ,I just got back I to rabbit hunting this year with a friend who is a well known cellar with bear dogs and rabbit and I've missed that sound catfish I will be in touch and if ya ever wanna hunt WV just for different scenery let me know I've got 1040 acres leased put ya on whatever thanks for the offer

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I love it. Killing deer in front of dogs can be easy and can be the hardest. I do have to agree with catfishrus, I kill mature deer in dog country, most while still hunting. The older ones get wish and know how to loose the dogs and avoid hunters. It's a crazy game of chess. Mature bucks rarely slip up period, even less with the hounds.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Wv67, where are you located ? I could likely work on getting you into a hunt this fall.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sounds like a blast to me ,I just got back I to rabbit hunting this year with a friend who is a well known cellar with bear dogs and rabbit and I've missed that sound catfish I will be in touch and if ya ever wanna hunt WV just for different scenery let me know I've got 1040 acres leased put ya on whatever thanks for the offer
Thanks for the offer on WV but I have been there done that, got the T-shirt. Have had several back surgeries and I am a flatlander for life now. LOL I get around pretty good for an old man with a bad back, but I don't do them big HILLs or mountains as I call them.

Just holler, we have a good hunt and usually cook the night before and the evening after the hunt. You won't go hungry and should have a good hunt. Quite frankly it is just like a bigger organized rabbit hunt.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My Sweetie was born and raised in McDowell County, I've been lucky enough to have walked some WVA land. It's beautiful no doubt but I'll tell you, the difference between those woods and the ones I hunt is night and day. To see 100 yards or more in most of the WVA land I've walked was pretty commonplace. To see 100 feet down here where I hunt is near non-existent. Now take into account the massive amounts of creeks and swamps and bean fields you can hardly see the woods on the other side of...well, you'll see the need for dogs in pretty short order.
But as 300Blkout said, dog hunting is a whole lot more than just the hunt. Most of us have hunted together since our daddies could set us up on a dog box. Been known to light a fire and have a sip or two around it when the hunt was over, the dogs were in the boxes, and the rifles were put away too.....
Some around here use Walkers, some use Beagles, but to me hearing a pack of anything squallin' for every breath on a hot track coming through the woods at you is an awesome sound.....
What coincidence my wife born raised there to in McDowell county Bradshaw area

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Y'all must hunt with way bigger clubs than I want to..... :ROFLMAO:
Yes he must, we will turn loose 3-5 packs of 4-6 dogs at a time depending on size or layout of the track and then catch up and move to another tract. 100 dogs unless it would be one more huge tract would rival the old Savannah River Hunts.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, we're small block hunters. Last time i went we hunted 6 dogs in a 50 acre block. Ran more coyotes out than deer. We killed two of'em. Still had a great day listening to the dogs....
The greatest thing about dog hunting where I am is that nobody cares about a dog running across their field, they grew up with us and just grab their rifle and step out the back door when they hear'em coming!

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I may have exaggerated a little. I know this, and I haven’t been dog hunting in 12 years I bet, the bigger the horns the more dogs get turned out and the more dangerous it gets. The clubs that went to shotgun only for dogging were smart. I’ve heard some horror stories from dog hunting with high powered rifles.

RBR

Six Pointer
I used to have the ones that only ran the big bucks!?

The most enjoyable times before electronics was relaxing on the tailgate with an adult beverage after dark watching the stars waiting to hear that unmistakeable, I’m lost bark, call me out. I’m ready for the box, let’s go home!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, we're small block hunters. Last time i went we hunted 6 dogs in a 50 acre block. Ran more coyotes out than deer. We killed two of'em. Still had a great day listening to the dogs....
The greatest thing about dog hunting where I am is that nobody cares about a dog running across their field, they grew up with us and just grab their rifle and step out the back door when they hear'em coming!
Much the same where we hunt. On one of our last hunts of the season last year we had a fellow that is in declining health come to the clubhouse and get on us about running a tract that adjoins his property. He said you guys aren't getting those deer out of there because they are laying in that thicket in my back yard. LOL He said I know, I been feeding them and I see them regularly. We told him well he probably was right but we didn't want to get right up in his yard. He let out a couple expletives and said turn out right in my back yard and get them. So we made a hunt and did just that, he was standing in his back yard with his shotgun but sadly the deer when jumped went the opposite way but that was exactly where they were. We had them on the ground pretty quick though.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I may have exaggerated a little. I know this, and I haven’t been dog hunting in 12 years I bet, the bigger the horns the more dogs get turned out and the more dangerous it gets. The clubs that went to shotgun only for dogging were smart. I’ve heard some horror stories from dog hunting with high powered rifles.
We are shotgun only, but I used to hunt in clubs that were either or. Quite frankly I have had some close calls with shotguns, luckily and happily, none in the club I am in now. I have a scar on my back right now that isn't from orthopedic surgery, I don't want another one.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
We are shotgun only, but I used to hunt in clubs that were either or. Quite frankly I have had some close calls with shotguns, luckily and happily, none in the club I am in now. I have a scar on my back right now that isn't from orthopedic surgery, I don't want another one.
I know that’s right!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I prefer rifles or shotguns with slugs. I have seen buckshot do some crazy stuff. All can be dangerous, if hunters are not being safe. I have let several deer of a lifetime go due to safety, I hope everybody would.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I guess the guys I know are doing it wrong because their club tends to kill bigger deer running dogs.
Anyway.....beagles and/or walkers are usually what folks around here use.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
WV , I have close to 15,000 acres to dog hunt and a nice clubhouse to stay in if you want to try your luck. Most guys around run crazy ass Walker's that have had the hunt bred out of them. My group runs beagles and are a lot of fun and easy to handle.My family has been doing this on the same land since the late 1800s .We enjoy the fellowship more than the hunt, some one kill's one we celebrate, no one kills one we celebrate, some one misses we give them a hard time and celebrate, first and foremost we are safe and enjoy the sound of the hounds and the company of family and friends. I feel a family that spends that much time together isn't as common as it was when I was growing up

specialk

Twelve Pointer
after moving down here to GA i had to learn the art stand hunting.....took a little while but i enjoy it.....but i never got over not wanting to hear dogs run game so i got into rabbit hunting....kinda filled the void.....i know it is a dying sport up there...i'm glad i was able to live through it's heyday and enjoy all the good times....