Using a canoe/kayak for deer hunting

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Several of the spots i canoe into are way back off the beaten path. THAT said I could probably hike to these spots in the time it takes me to unload canoe, get it to the water and paddle it. But, if I hiked in a killed one it would take me HOURS to get it out whereas with the canoe it would be about the same as paddling in as I hunt within 100 yards of where I beach the canoe. That is where a canoe helps me.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
If you flip a canoe on flat water or are worried about it then you probably dont need to be in one . I have 5 canoes and never ever flipped one on flat water.

at night coming back from hunting just make sure you have a light and I HUG the shoreline as close as I can.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
If you flip a canoe on flat water or are worried about it then you probably dont need to be in one . I have 5 canoes and never ever flipped one on flat water.

at night coming back from hunting just make sure you have a light and I HUG the shoreline as close as I can.
The likelihood of flipping over in flat water is very little, but, the moment you do not prepare for it, it will happen. Big wake from a passing boat, hit a log in the water, don't have your gear balanced right or you just do something dumb and BAM over you go. Water is frigid, all your crap is floating around you or worse, sinking to the bottom. What are you gonna do? That's why I prepare for the worst. I have never flipped over, unintentionally. But I have practiced flipping and test my ability to get back in and make sure my gear stays secured.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Check your county regs before doing so. If I recall there are certain counties which don't even allow you to transport a kill in any floating device. I have to get ready for work so don't have time to research it but maybe later will do.

I think I'm going to have to try using a kayak this year.
Hopefully I'll can get to some remote areas, and away from the pressure on public land.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk