Used tractor question

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You can find a good utility with a loader and be really happy for $8000. What deerherder listed will fit your bill nicely. Use tractordata.com for specs to compare the models. It will also tell you what model tractor came before and after.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Opinion on a 1986 John Deere 850 with less then 1000 hours? Being sold at a dealership......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a JD 950 of the same age. It's a solid, dependable tractor. But, if I were you i'd go a little bigger. The 950 will pull a 5 ft bush hog, but you have to gear down if it gets thick.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I would consider going to farm equipment auctions. Would stay away from the big consignment auctions. Most of time if you go to individual farmers auction you can talk to the farmer or somebody there that knows the equipment and how it was kept up. You can save a lot of money that way. Just set a limit on what you think a good deal is and walk away if goes over it. Go to sites like auction zip or other similar sites there will be plenty farm auctions over the next 3 months

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
at one time most tractor engines 45 HP or less were made in India, so finding a good used Mahindra is very much the same as a good used JD, Ford, Massey, ect.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You must be remembering a different era than I was. JD was made in USA for years then they sourced their engines from Germany before their compact series (50) series that was made by Yanmar on Osaka Japan. MF used Perkins for their small engines. AC, White, Long and several others got theirs from Romania. (Brasov)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You must be remembering a different era than I was. JD was made in USA for years then they sourced their engines from Germany before their compact series (50) series that was made by Yanmar on Osaka Japan. MF used Perkins for their small engines. AC, White, Long and several others got theirs from Romania. (Brasov)
this is from Wiki..so it may or may not be accurate but it was the first thing that Google found.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Opinion on a 1986 John Deere 850 with less then 1000 hours? Being sold at a dealership......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the 850 is a little small. Good to cut a big yard with or similar work. Depends on what you going do with it. But if you go with small compact tractor it needs to be 4x4. A compact 2 wheel drive want hardly pull it self in soft soil especially if you add weight of a front end loader to it

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My 3000 Ford is a workhorse.
3k and 4K fords were some of the toughest tractors out there for the size/time there was. Their achilles heel IF they had one was front end attachment. If you put a loader on one and abused it the tube that the whole front end pivots on was prone to break. It wasn't a real big deal to fix except 90% of them were of course running when they broke and when they collapsed the fan took the radiator out when it went down. You wound up replacing a fairly expensive radiator, fan and that pin.

I dreamed of owning a new ford 4000 SU back in the day. But on what my salary was back then it was just that, a dream. LOL