Use Plenty of Permethrin Next Spring

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Cases of Powassan Virus rare but increasing.

and from the text

the number of people contracting it has increased in recent years,

yes, numbers go up becuase population goes up

when they don't list the rate of contracting a disease it tells me the RATE of the disease hasn't changed.

these "tick borne diseases" have been here since before the Vikings came to lay claim to this part of the World,,,

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
You don't have to worry about me! I use that stuff religiously.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....if at the end the coroner discovers my liberal use of permethrin shaved 10 years off my life....rest assured it is well with my soul. If I had to choose, I would rather live ten years less without having to deal with nagging tick and chigger bites like I used to. The same goes for thermacell.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It may not prevent them but it sure slows them down when used properly. Haven't had a tick while turkey hunting since I started using it years ago. And we aren't talking about spraying it on before you go out, rather, treating your clothes and boots properly in advance.

la angler

Six Pointer
Yeah but in my case I can't treat every pair of pants I have so I treat some snake leggings I use. It's Ok but the worse time of year is July and August when seed ticks hatch.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Funny story about permethrin. I use it liberally before turkey season, and usually reapply mid season. But the combination of tall grass and heavy dews took a toll this year... i looked down one morning to see dozens of ticks on my pants. All from the knees down, with the highest ones stone dead;)

The next tick that bites me, while I’m wearing my permethrin like I’m supposed to, will be the first.

la angler

Six Pointer
I get wet from dew in the morning and don't feel it as effective. Bottom line I still get some ticks somewhere. I have been in the woods for almost 40 years seems like ticks become worse every year regardless of the winter we have.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Funny story about permethrin. I use it liberally before turkey season, and usually reapply mid season. But the combination of tall grass and heavy dews took a toll this year... i looked down one morning to see dozens of ticks on my pants. All from the knees down, with the highest ones stone dead;)

The next tick that bites me, while I’m wearing my permethrin like I’m supposed to, will be the first.
Same here. If I do see a tick crawling on my pants....I just relax and then lean over to take a closer look at him. This may be wrong of me to say, but it does my heart good to see him writhing around as he breathes his last. ☠

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah but in my case I can't treat every pair of pants I have so I treat some snake leggings I use. It's Ok but the worse time of year is July and August when seed ticks hatch.

You can if you buy the concentrate and mix your own, and spray it on with a spray bottle. It will last a few weeks, even through washings. I use it on pants, shirts and hats.
Trust me, you don't go into any more tick infested areas than I do. I'm a soil scientist doing wetland determinations and use it regularly. I haven't found a live tick on me all year. If used properly, permethrin works very well.

la angler

Six Pointer
What brand are you using? I think Sawyers has been the best I have used. I duct tape my pants I mostly get them in my socks. I'm talking seed ticks not larger ticks in my socks

la angler

Six Pointer
Any of used or heard of a company in Greensboro called "insect shield" that you send in your clothes for treatment that is supposed to last 70 washing for $9.95/item?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It does't take that long on a Sat. to hang a bunch of socks, pants and shirts on a line and spray with the proper permethrin
mixture. You can get the concentrate at most any agricultural supply business like Tractor Supply. One bottle will last years, even with liberal use. Like QBD2 says, hang them, spray with a pump sprayer and let them air dry then put them away. You can reapply whenever they prove to be ineffective.

At $10 per item, i'd go broke before turkey season.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's your problem right there. A tick can crawl up your boots and under snake leggings to your socks.

I spray shirt, pants, socks and boots. Honestly, I think the socks might be the most important, as ticks can't penetrate the fabric of your pants, they've got to crawl in through the cuff or waist. Buy the concentrate. Mix and spray with garden sprayer while hanging on clothesline. Repeat every 4-6 weeks as necessary. Works 100% on ticks and 90% on chiggers.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
overkill- spray your pants ever time you go in the woods. i mean what do you have to lose?
the chemical expense is the best money you can spend.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
What brand are you using? I think Sawyers has been the best I have used. I duct tape my pants I mostly get them in my socks. I'm talking seed ticks not larger ticks in my socks

Sawyers is just a brand name. It has the same permethrin as the ones you buy in an ag store. Just buy the concentrate. You'll save money.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
One year I treated my camo in mid March and didn't retreat it. Was sitting in the woods the last week of our season in May and saw a tick crawling up my knee boots. I watched him to see what would happen. He crawled up my boots energetically and onto my pants, then started slowing down. Before he got up too far, he stopped, and then his legs curled up and he died.

Made a believer out of me.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
Any of used or heard of a company in Greensboro called "insect shield" that you send in your clothes for treatment that is supposed to last 70 washing for $9.95/item?

Its legit but can get expensive. they do say a pair of socks is one item but even if you only do one shirt, one set of pants, boxers and socks its 40$ and that excludes items like hats or gloves, so it would be more if you wanted to be covered head to toe. If you only use one set of hunting gear it might be cost effective but for anyone that has multiple sets they need to treat it can add up. But I suppose if you have the funds it might be worth it since it lasts so long. I buy a big bottle of concentrate off amazon and go that route. I used to use sawyers but it gets expensive after while.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I use a concentrate called Duration that I get from Traveler's Supply. It works great and ends up being less expensive than Sawyer's in the long run.

Jim

Clark

Ten Pointer
Insect Shield does a lot of work treating military uniforms with Pemethrin.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The higher the concentration the longer it last per treatment. I have used permethrin for over 30 years. I does stop ticks. I know I worked in the pine woods for several years along with playing in them year round. Heck, buy a 1.5 gallon sprayer pour 16 ounces of 10% permethrin, fill with water and treat all the clothes and socks you wear in the woods. Will last for several washings. I too, have watched ticks climb up my pants and die. Your socks are a weak link if you don't wear boots you tuck your pants legs in.

TarheelTurkey

Six Pointer
It may not prevent them but it sure slows them down when used properly. Haven't had a tick while turkey hunting since I started using it years ago. And we aren't talking about spraying it on before you go out, rather, treating your clothes and boots properly in advance.

I may see one on my gun , but I agree ! Since I started using I get more ticks when I’m at home not hunting than while hunting. I just wish I knew about this stuff 20 years ago when I worked with a land surveyor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
The answer is to make your own tick tubes. I did that on our property and it knocked the tick population down to around zero. Only guinea fowl do a better job, and tick tubes are cheaper and quieter.