Use for possums?

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
If I keep a live trap set every night near my chicken lot I will catch two or three possums a month. Can they be made into coyote bait for trapping being they have some fat on them like beaver? I just been pitching them out in the trash pile but being I'm trying to trap coyotes might put one to use maybe cook it down to render the fat or dry it like jerky. Anyone try this? This one last night I actually shot with a 410 load of 4 shot while digging into my garbage. Most white fur that I have ever seen on one

Attachments

• 20210104_151845.jpg
    20210104_151845.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 22

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have heard some of the old timers say they want bad to eat. My dads family use to have them occasionally. They uae to catch them and put them in a 55 gal barrel and feed them grain or whatever they would wat that want rotten. They called it cleaning them out for a couple weeks. Dont know all the details. Want something i thought needed to learn to pass on

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Have heard some of the old timers say they want bad to eat. My dads family use to have them occasionally. They uae to catch them and put them in a 55 gal barrel and feed them grain or whatever they would wat that want rotten. They called it cleaning them out for a couple weeks. Dont know all the details. Want something i thought needed to learn to pass on
Baked sweet potatoes and cornbread for a couple of weeks then dress and bake the grinner until done.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
We've been trying to catch a fox that has a really bad case of mange and instead caught the biggest possum I've ever seen. I'm not given to exaggerating my tales so believe me when I say this old grinner had to weigh 15 pounds and was as black as a lump of coal. Never saw a possum that dark, should have taken a picture but we just wanted to get him out of the Havahart so we could put it away but we stood it up on end with the door open and that old boy clamped onto the wire with all four feet and hung there in that inverted trap and wouldn't turn loose for love nor money so we just went off and left him to his own devices.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
They are not bad, closest thing they taste like is roast pork (to me). It has been 45 yrs since I have been served possum. But since they feast on anything dead you have to change their diet. Catch em live and feed him apples , bread soaked in milk for a few weeks. Then kill it skin it out. After skinning soak in salt water over night, then roast with sweet potatoes or turnips till done.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
If I needed to I would eat one for sure but I would have to done eat all the other animals I could catch or kill first.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If you got a spot where you like to fish for bream, hang the possum over a the water from a tree branch. The flies and resulting maggots will bring fish in like chum.