Urban Archery Season 2023 Wake County, Chapel Hill Durham

slugoo

Eight Pointer
Nothing to see here. All of our deer died of EHD last fall. We might have to move to a different county…. Rockingham or Caswell….to get a look at one going forward.
Nonononono, you got it all wrong! All the deer in Caswell got EHD too! If you want deer, you'll at LEAST have to travel to Virginia. It's really a shame what's happening to the NC deer populations...

Packfan

Eight Pointer
Nonononono, you got it all wrong! All the deer in Caswell got EHD too! If you want deer, you'll at LEAST have to travel to Virginia. It's really a shame what's happening to the NC deer populations...
In all seriousness, my son just found the fourth one dead on our home farm this week that’s either been floating in or very near our pond since September….two does in September, two weeks ago he found a 125” 10 point that got a pass the last 5 minutes of gun season, and this week he found a spike. EHD is the only thing that I can come up with. 🤷‍♂️

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
In all seriousness, my son just found the fourth one dead on our home farm this week that’s either been floating in or very near our pond since September….two does in September, two weeks ago he found a 125” 10 point that got a pass the last 5 minutes of gun season, and this week he found a spike. EHD is the only thing that I can come up with. 🤷‍♂️
Never heard ehd in January is that possible in that area?

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Probably some of the best advice I can learn from and I understand the mistake I made with the post. I can see how a seasoned hunter can take this post offensive. Thanks for putting in the effort to educate me as well as other novices coming into this world. I’m sure I won’t be the last person to make this mistake.

-Little bit about my experience, not that anyone cares-

The first time I hunted was early November of 2022 (last year) after the rut with a friend and I didn’t bring anything. I was watching. My friend told me to start with a bow to become a better hunter because anyone could kill an animal from 100 - 200 yards. He said to sit and watch deer behavior before I hunted. I bought a deer stand when I got home from that trip and set it up in my backyard. I bought my first compound bow in November 21, 2022 and shot 76 arrows per day for a month. From November 21 to December 21, I went out into the woods almost every morning and evening without my bow and sat in my stand and watched. It was incredible. And I learned a lot in that short time. December 21, 2022 I killed my first deer, a doe. My friend helped me process the deer and I have about 38 lbs of meat in freezer from it. From that point on my world has completely changed and I owe my friend a lot from this experience. I’m not ashamed to admit I got lucky. I’m not ashamed to admit I have no idea what I’m doing either.
Well, you know what they say about "better to be lucky than good!". If you killed a deer your first year hunting especially with a bow then you are definitely started up the learning curve.
If you are fortunate (or lucky) enough to get access for Urban Archery know that even a well-placed arrow can result in deer traveling 100 yards or even more before dying. I have seen them die under my tree but also much further. This can make a very awkward retrieval/recovery in case the deer dies off the property where you have permission. You might want to get a few more archery kills under your belt before you attempt Urban Season.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Well, you know what they say about "better to be lucky than good!". If you killed a deer your first year hunting especially with a bow then you are definitely started up the learning curve.
If you are fortunate (or lucky) enough to get access for Urban Archery know that even a well-placed arrow can result in deer traveling 100 yards or even more before dying. I have seen them die under my tree but also much further. This can make a very awkward retrieval/recovery in case the deer dies off the property where you have permission. You might want to get a few more archery kills under your belt before you attempt Urban Season.
Great advice here @Baitsinthewater

Getting permission to retrieve a deer that dies on another person’s private land can often be as difficult or even more difficult than getting the permission to hunt private land to begin with.

@lasttombstone is one of the most respected and helpful guys here. You really went over the line with that 1st response to him.

I’m sure you’re not a bad guy too. Just expect there to be a learning curve in undertaking the hunting thing.

Hopefully the guy that introduced you to hunting will give you more help in the upcoming seasons. That’s where I’d go for info as well as here see and other hunting forums.

You gotta understand one thing here. In order to get into the hunting community you FIRST ( caps for emphasis ) have to build a fairly good sized amount of trust with fellow hunters. That’s the absolutely most important aspect of the sport.

Good luck.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Durham doesn't participate, and good luck getting permission slips from the yuppies in Chapel Hill. You could go around knocking on doors there to ask. I'd start with big properties full of flowers and flowering bushes that look like the owners give a landscaping company alot of money every year to maintain.
This is maybe the best advice if your going to find anything in urban zones. Just be prepared for a lot of “No, someone else hunts here” or worse in the areas listed above.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
Boy ol dude come out firing the minute he didn’t get the answer he wanted. Lots of info here. Lots of knowledge here and plenty of helpful people. Trust me some are the mostly helpful people will ever meet. You won’t learn that by immediately firing off at the keyboard. Good luck. People who love hostas and have a garden full would be a place to start. Just don’t drive by slowly like your casing the place. Deer will mow those down in a
Night.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
I just opened this thread for the first time....WOW....despite the sage advice given, never to return.

Johnnie

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Y’all are being mean to him. My initial questions were not combative like his but there was plenty of ignorance that thankfully you (mostly) let pass. I hope he sticks around.

KennyZeDevilDog

Eight Pointer
T
Great advice here @Baitsinthewater

Getting permission to retrieve a deer that dies on another person’s private land can often be as difficult or even more difficult than getting the permission to hunt private land to begin with.

@lasttombstone is one of the most respected and helpful guys here. You really went over the line with that 1st response to him.

I’m sure you’re not a bad guy too. Just expect there to be a learning curve in undertaking the hunting thing.

Hopefully the guy that introduced you to hunting will give you more help in the upcoming seasons. That’s where I’d go for info as well as here see and other hunting forums.

You gotta understand one thing here. In order to get into the hunting community you FIRST ( caps for emphasis ) have to build a fairly good sized amount of trust with fellow hunters. That’s the absolutely most important aspect of the sport.

Good luck.
This is the main reason I don't mess with urban archery, it's too unpredictable. When I was really young I lived in Cleveland, Ohio. My dad would travel a couple counties over and hunt. One year he got a big ol' buck (I have a photo somewhere, he truly was an awesome buck) that he wanted to process himself. He brought it back home to my grandma's, her back yard was bigger, and some fool went and called the police on us. Everything was legal, just wasted our time and police (and the game warden who came out to check the tag and license.) It's just not worth the hassle imo.