Urban Archery Season 2023 Wake County, Chapel Hill Durham

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
Anyone ever heard of this? It's from 1/15/2023 to 2/23/2023 on private land of at least 5 acres within city limits. Must have written permission. I'd pay a small fee for permission to lease a spot and set up my tree stand.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm sure most everyone here has heard of the Urban Archery Season. Have you read in the regulations about it? Obviously no. It will spell out everything you need to know and why you can't expect to hunt in about any town you want. Good luck.

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
Just joined this forum. Great introduction of yourself. Is everyone an :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk on this forum or just a few? The title says Wake County, Chapel Hill and Durham. That’s not any town I want to so I’m not sure how you came to that conclusion.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
And you, as a first time poster, asking questions without asking questions then talking to long time members like you do show that you don't really belong here. Nowhere did you say you were looking for land to lease. You basicailly said that you would. For what it's worth, around here, we like for folks to come in and participate in ongoing discussions so people get to know them a bit before jumping in asking for leases. But dont feel bad. You aren't the first to do this by any means. If you want to be a part of the forum fine, stick around and see how you can contribute. And by the way, there are some foks on here who are much bigger :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk than I am

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
Just getting into hunting and this was my first year. This has got to be the most discouraging forum for helpful advise and direction. How else do you learn? Thanks for the harsh reality for new beginners.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Just getting into hunting and this was my first year. This has got to be the most discouraging forum for helpful advise and direction. How else do you learn? Thanks for the harsh reality for new beginners.
Don’t worry about it. Plenty of folks have came on here and stated the obvious and looked like a dumbazz, long time members included. You just caught LST before he got his afternoon nap.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
It is pretty obvious you are a first timer and a young one at that. Older folks would realize that a forum like this would be made up of a lot of older folks so you need to ease your way in. If you have in fact read the regulations you should know that, from a brief scan of that section, I only see 2 municipalities that participate in the Urban Archery program and they are Chapel Hill and Wake Forest. Your time will be better spent this spring walking Butner/Falls, if you don't have any private land, and becoming as much of an expert with your equipment as you can be.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lee way I read it was he just found out about it, and was like “gah-Lee that’s neat, sure wish I had a place to do that…” like a typed out thought to himself, as a post, more so than a request. I have been accused of being a do-gooder this week and might be getting soft, cynical, and liberal in my old age though, according to who you ask 😂

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
It is pretty obvious you are a first timer and a young one at that. Older folks would realize that a forum like this would be made up of a lot of older folks so you need to ease your way in. If you have in fact read the regulations you should know that, from a brief scan of that section, I only see 2 municipalities that participate in the Urban Archery program and they are Chapel Hill and Wake Forest. Your time will be better spent this spring walking Butner/Falls, if you don't have any private land, and becoming as much of an expert with your equipment as you can be.
That's why I mentioned Wake County and Chapel Hill in my title line about Urban Archery. I'm looking forward to a new journey learning to become a successful hunter and it doesn't happen overnight. That's why I started with Archery. By no means was I trying to piss anyone off and didn't think it was that sensitive. Definitely a harsh reality for newbies I will remember and share with others who are looking to get into the sport.

Durham doesn't participate, and good luck getting permission slips from the yuppies in Chapel Hill. You could go around knocking on doors there to ask. I'd start with big properties full of flowers and flowering bushes that look like the owners give a landscaping company alot of money every year to maintain.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Lots of great advice can be on the forum for both new and older hunters. Would try to get to know so people and let them get to know you. Often people join and expect to get information on a lease right away. Anyway, welcome to the forum. I love to hunt and especially bow-hunt. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
Lots of great advice can be on the forum for both new and older hunters. Would try to get to know so people and let them get to know you. Often people join and expect to get information on a lease right away. Anyway, welcome to the forum. I love to hunt and especially bow-hunt. Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Probably some of the best advice I can learn from and I understand the mistake I made with the post. I can see how a seasoned hunter can take this post offensive. Thanks for putting in the effort to educate me as well as other novices coming into this world. I’m sure I won’t be the last person to make this mistake.

-Little bit about my experience, not that anyone cares-

The first time I hunted was early November of 2022 (last year) after the rut with a friend and I didn’t bring anything. I was watching. My friend told me to start with a bow to become a better hunter because anyone could kill an animal from 100 - 200 yards. He said to sit and watch deer behavior before I hunted. I bought a deer stand when I got home from that trip and set it up in my backyard. I bought my first compound bow in November 21, 2022 and shot 76 arrows per day for a month. From November 21 to December 21, I went out into the woods almost every morning and evening without my bow and sat in my stand and watched. It was incredible. And I learned a lot in that short time. December 21, 2022 I killed my first deer, a doe. My friend helped me process the deer and I have about 38 lbs of meat in freezer from it. From that point on my world has completely changed and I owe my friend a lot from this experience. I’m not ashamed to admit I got lucky. I’m not ashamed to admit I have no idea what I’m doing either.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Probably some of the best advice I can learn from and I understand the mistake I made with the post. I can see how a seasoned hunter can take this post offensive. Thanks for putting in the effort to educate me as well as other novices coming into this world. I’m sure I won’t be the last person to make this mistake.

-Little bit about my experience, not that anyone cares-

The first time I hunted was early November of 2022 (last year) after the rut with a friend and I didn’t bring anything. I was watching. My friend told me to start with a bow to become a better hunter because anyone could kill an animal from 100 - 200 yards. He said to sit and watch deer behavior before I hunted. I bought a deer stand when I got home from that trip and set it up in my backyard. I bought my first compound bow in November 21, 2022 and shot 76 arrows per day for a month. From November 21 to December 21, I went out into the woods almost every morning and evening without my bow and sat in my stand and watched. It was incredible. And I learned a lot in that short time. December 21, 2022 I killed my first deer, a doe. My friend helped me process the deer and I have about 38 lbs of meat in freezer from it. From that point on my world has completely changed and I owe my friend a lot from this experience. I’m not ashamed to admit I got lucky. I’m not ashamed to admit I have no idea what I’m doing either.
Thanks for sharing. Your friend gave you good advice to sit and watch and learn. Now is the time to put boots on the ground and to go scout. Keep a journal as well of everything from moon, weather, time, etc. I like going back to learning from it as I don’t remember as well as I think I can.

Baitsinthewater

Button Buck
Thanks for sharing. Your friend gave you good advice to sit and watch and learn. Now is the time to put boots on the ground and to go scout. Keep a journal as well of everything from moon, weather, time, etc. I like going back to learning from it as I don’t remember as well as I think I can.
The JOURNAL! I almost forgot. Thanks!

Packfan

Eight Pointer
I talk to Roy every now and then. He didn't kill that deer in Orange Co, he was hunting with Hevi 13 in Anson.
Nothing to see here. All of our deer died of EHD last fall. We might have to move to a different county…. Rockingham or Caswell….to get a look at one going forward.