Upper Roanoke bow hunting

Me and my buddy were going for a change of scenery and looking to hunt the upper roanoke wma, for bow season it looks like on paper I can just buy a 5 dollar permit right? I see the gun dates are draws. Were looking to go opening week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nontypical

Ten Pointer
Yes Lord, I remember playing against West Carteret in football when I was in high school. Huge, aggressive skeeters.

MAM3006

Six Pointer
We usually apply for a draw hunts down on the URR. Even in late October/November the mosquitos can be unbearable. A thermacell is a must. Lots of land down there and finding where the deer are at during bow season will be a challenge. With that said, we have done well in the past during gun season. Some good deer on those tracts. In some spots it will take quite a hike to get to them and get them out if you are lucky enough to connect. If you go I would HIGHLY recommend some type of deer cart.

Can someone please tell me where in eastern NC you can deer hunt that the mosquitoes and snakes aren't bad in September?

Some of yall act like there's a place they don't exist and I like to see it.
That's what I was thinking

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
When I hunted at Pollock's Ferry, before part of it became game lands, there were as many cotton mouths, if not more than any place I ever hunted. I would not walk those swamps or roads(LOL) in warm weather without some sort of snake boots/chaps. That said I can't recall any body ever getting bit. I just know how many I would see riding the roads there, and could not force myself to walk where I could not see the ground without my snake boots. Saw the largest cotton mouth I ever have seen putting posted signs up at the bridge on Shields Road. It was at least 5'. Mosquitoes can be as bad there as any place in ENC.

Anyone know how far of a drive it is between tillery game lands and upper roanoke? Was hoping to check out both while I was there

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Anyone know how far of a drive it is between tillery game lands and upper roanoke? Was hoping to check out both while I was there

It depends. Upperr Roanoke consists of five or six tracts, I think. Tillery is probably a 10-min drive to the closest, 30 to the farthest, not including the two tracts which are only accessible by boat (public Access)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk