Upland Birds

Wingshooter19

Button Buck
Anybody chase quail IVO Holly shelter, Stones Creek, Angola Bay areas??? I work out that way but live in Raeford NC so I occasionally hit the Sandhills. I was just wondering if its worth dropping the dogs and hiking through the bush. I would assume there is woodcocks in those areas.

Thanks

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you are real lucky, you might find a covey at Holly Shelter. It has areas much like Sandhills. However I'm not speaking from hunting experience, exactly. I've just work in both Holly Shelter and Angola Bay for my job. Angola Bay is mostly thick and wet...not ideal habitat for quail. Both probably hold woodcocks though.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
If you are real lucky, you might find a covey at Holly Shelter. It has areas much like Sandhills. However I'm not speaking from hunting experience, exactly. I've just work in both Holly Shelter and Angola Bay for my job. Angola Bay is mostly thick and wet...not ideal habitat for quail. Both probably hold woodcocks though.
Much of Angola Bay seems so thick you couldn't fall over if you tried. Although, It's been a couple of years and one area out there had been clearcut.

NC Quailhunter

Six Pointer
I hunt Stones Creek. There are birds but it is tough. When I say this it is not a dig, but come deer season when they are running dogs on a Saturday it is really crowded. I stay away until the deer hunters and the duck hunters are out of there. When I do get in there it takes some walking to find the birds.
There are birds on Holly Shelter but it again takes some walking. I don't get to Holly Shelter as much as I should because Camp Lejeune and the Croatan are closer for me. Less driving more hunting.
It is worth putting the dogs down but be prepared to walk a few hours.
There are Woodcock on both tracts.
Never been to Angola Bay.
Hope this helps.

Wingshooter19

Button Buck
I hunt Stones Creek. There are birds but it is tough. When I say this it is not a dig, but come deer season when they are running dogs on a Saturday it is really crowded. I stay away until the deer hunters and the duck hunters are out of there. When I do get in there it takes some walking to find the birds.
There are birds on Holly Shelter but it again takes some walking. I don't get to Holly Shelter as much as I should because Camp Lejeune and the Croatan are closer for me. Less driving more hunting.
It is worth putting the dogs down but be prepared to walk a few hours.
There are Woodcock on both tracts.
Never been to Angola Bay.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for your help, I definitely will hot Stones creek late season. I know it won’t be a easy hunt but I don’t mind walking and the dogs don’t mind running.