Update on Wild Game Thanksgiving Dinner

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
We laid the hammer down. Did not have a wild turkey to deep fry but we fried one we bought. After a gun malfunction yesterday, we didn’t come home with any venison. But we prevailed !
-smoked trout cream cheese deep...fish caught 2 weeks ago
-jalapeño poppers topped with bacon , and dove breast slivers. Doves killed this week. Jalapeños from the garden here at the house
-One beaver hind quarter weighing almost 2 lbs before cooking. Seared with garlic and herb mc cormicks “griller” seasoning. Slow cooked for 3 hours with mushroom broth, beef bullion, Baby portobellos and sweet onions. Had two family member that had never had any of the three Wild game meats and they loved them.
Side note: gave another beaver hind quarter to a coworker who does not hunt or trap. He made a roast. Turns out his entire extended family tried it and they all loved it. Even got a few thank you texts. I’m feeling grateful for God’s grocery store, friends , family , the critters that die to feed us, and all y’all. Remember : EVERY day is a holiday and EVERY meal is a feast. Searing beaver 9F96D613-137B-4835-AEFB-3F8D51C74271.jpeg
Fall off the bone beaver86478DA0-6B8E-4A79-9DA9-230793851CCD.jpeg
Trout cream cheese dipA046DB87-C0A8-4F65-9B02-52E7C9AB00F9.jpeg
Homegrown jalapeño poppers with dove breast and baconF921F411-F412-4FBA-8714-B827D0E99ABE.jpeg

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you. Now I just gotta get on the deer like you do

Hey, even blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then......
I'd rather be lucky than good anyday. It takes less practice.
I'm just a dumb 'ole country boy that likes to eat deer meat.

Just get in the woods, get after them, and the only failed hunt is if you leave and didn't learn something new. From what I've seen and read, you're well on your way, my friend.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Hey, even blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then......
I'd rather be lucky than good anyday. It takes less practice.
I'm just a dumb 'ole country boy that likes to eat deer meat.

Just get in the woods, get after them, and the only failed hunt is if you leave and didn't learn something new. From what I've seen and read, you're well on your way, my friend.
I appreciate the encouragement! Today was our only “either sex” day here in the mountains. Went to the same spot on gamelands that I was at Wednesday . Not a 4 legged soul to be found lol

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I appreciate the encouragement! Today was our only “either sex” day here in the mountains. Went to the same spot on gamelands that I was at Wednesday . Not a 4 legged soul to be found lol

In my personal opinion, up in the mountains is the hardest place to kill deer in NC. Especially on GL. If you get consistent up there, you can kill deer anywhere in NC.
A close second, is the true swamps down East. Tough, thick, warm and snakes.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you don't have ML then If get chance I'd pick one up you Get 2 weeks doe days in early Oct just little south of you

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
If you don't have ML then If get chance I'd pick one up you Get 2 weeks doe days in early Oct just little south of you
Yep I’ve got a trusty ole .50 ML. However I didn’t know about the 2 weeks of doe in Oct. whereabouts? I’ve hunted Barnardsville a few times on a whim but that’s when I was so new I didn’t even know how to play the wind lol. Been hunting Sandy Mush quite a bit. Mind if I pm you?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yep I’ve got a trusty ole .50 ML. However I didn’t know about the 2 weeks of doe in Oct. whereabouts? I’ve hunted Barnardsville a few times on a whim but that’s when I was so new I didn’t even know how to play the wind lol. Been hunting Sandy Mush quite a bit. Mind if I pm you?
Sure anytime help anyway i can