UPDATE Lever Gun?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thinking about picking up a Lever Gun in a caliber good enough for deer hunting any recommedations? i have a Browning Lever in 22lr that i plink with some and thought i "need" a bigger one.
I picked up a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum today at LPS, looks to be made good, seems to cycle smooth next step is a little range time!

Last edited:

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I have a Browning Blr in 308 and I love it, also have a Winchester 30-30. Henry has come out with the long ranger and it looks great. Think it is available in several popular centerfire calibers.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
I am a lever fan, have owned a couple 35s, really like the round and it’s great if you reload, ammo got very scarce several years ago, which is why I sold my last one.

I think you would do well to pick up an older used Marlin or Glenfield 30-30. Opinions differ but I am convinced the older guns are far better than those made today. There are many available online and in pawn shops, ammo is everywhere, plenty of gun for deer at your ranges.

I also really like a 45-70 and got into reloading for that cartridge.

Good luck and enjoy.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
I have a Win94 in 30-30 and a Marlin 1894S in .41 Mag. Both would work for your needs. I've also owned Marlin 1895 in .45-70, Browning 1886 Carbine in 45-70 and a 1895 in .30-06.

CD

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Thinking about picking up a Lever Gun in a caliber good enough for deer hunting any recommedations? i have a Browning Lever in 22lr that i plink with some and thought i "need" a bigger one.
If you like your BLR .22, I bet you would like Browning's BLR in one of the larger calibers suited for deer hunting...and I'm pretty sure they have plenty to choose from. You definitely can't go wrong with the BLR....unless you just want something different.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you like your BLR .22, I bet you would like Browning's BLR in one of the larger calibers suited for deer hunting...and I'm pretty sure they have plenty to choose from. You definitely can't go wrong with the BLR....unless you just want something different.

They still make it in 358 Winchester. That would be a cool, different caliber.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That reminds me..... In the middle of deer season I picked up a mint BL-22 and a SA-22.....
Have not had them to the range yet.....
Want to se how the BL 22 stands up to the 94-22 I have had. All great guns, fit, finish and feel.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Man you have a world of options. I’m a huge fan of Savage 99s, and Marlins. Savages come in an assortment of centerfire rifle calibers like 300sav, 243, 308, etc, and the Marlins come in strait wall cases like 45/70, 444, 30/30, 35rem, or modern magnum pistol calibers. I personally like having rifles that match up to my revolvers so I have em in 357, 44, 41, and 45LC and any will do 100 yards easy. My favorite lever is still my Savage 99 in 308, nothing shoulders and points like a 99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
IF you want a traditional lever, but a little something different try a 338 Marlin Express. Here is one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797481290 or a ,3O8 Marlin Express https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797439835 . I am not affiliated with the sellers, adds for example only. I love mine and all of mine MX and MXLR in both calibers are go to go for moderate range hunting(300 yards, practical range) accuracy is sufficient to shoot out to 500 yards. These rifles and cartridge combos have really impressed me. Then again I love all my Marlins.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
A 44mag, 32, 35 or 30-30 would work well. 30-30 is going to be the most common by far. Even bigger calibers like the 444 Marlin or 45-70 would work well, especially if you might use the gun for bears.

But personally, I’d pick a rifle capable of handling more efficient rounds. A BLR or Savage 99 in 308 would handle almost any situation well. I love my Marlin 30-30, and I like my BLR a lot, but my next lever gun will hopefully be another Marlin, this time in 308MX or 338MX.

Last edited:
Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
32 Winchester Special or 38-55.

Gotta love a 38-55. Have a "modern" Marlin CB in 38-55. It wears a Williams 5D receiver sight. I love shooting and hunting with this rifle. I would have put a Williams FP (Fool Proof) receiver sight on it, if I had to do it again. I really like the ease of adjustment with the FP. I have since put the FP on a couple other Marlins and love them. Back to the 38-55, with a hard cast bullet, I believe that thing would penetrate slam through an elephant the long way. I like the softer bullets for hunting though.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I picked up a Marlin 1894 44 Magnum today at LPS, looks to be made good, seems to cycle smooth next step is a little range time!

Nice find!! I love the 44 mag in a rifle. Hornady 240 gr XTP's hammer deer!!

Ashy Larry

Ten Pointer
Someone please try the Barnes vort-x 225 grain ammo in their .44 mag and see if it keyholes like mine did. I wasted a pretty penny on that box of 20.