UPDATE (April 22) 5 or 7 inch fish finders? Down/side scan?

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Just got my first boat. A small, 17’ tunnel hull. Need some electronics. Considering a Humminbird Helix 5-inch, possibly with down scan, and maybe less possibly, side-scan.

First off, has anyone got either a 5 or 7 inch screen and wished they’d bought the other? My friend though a 7 might look silly on a small boat but I think it’s more about getting that extra screen!

Since most of my fishing will be Pamlico sound and it’s creeks, I’m in no need (i pray) of the 600-foot depth capabilities of these devices!

I think it’d me mesmerizing to see the detail afforded by these rigs. I’ve never seen them in person yet.

Any comments on size, or whatever your favorite brand calls their scan options (down,side, whatever)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I was looking at the 5 and 7.
After looking at several units and displays I ended up spending a few more for the 9".
Mounted on a ram mount I can move it left,.right, make it taller so I can see anyplace on the boat. Was not able to read the 5" at distance and the 7" was borderline. That lushed me to the 9".

Excursion

Ten Pointer
I have a 5 inch screen and I get frustrated with grabbing my reading glasses every time I need to view it. Seeing distance is no problem but close is. Other than that the 5 in is fine.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Hawkman, you do yourself good to get the biggest you can afford, and in my case that is the 9". I bought a boat like 4 years ago and it came with a Hummingbird with the big screen, side scan, and absolutely love it. Has the tracking built in to where you can go back to where you caught fish yesterday, last week, or last year. Can't get lost...get back in in the dark...always tracking. The big screen comes in your friend when you are all over the boat, different angles, and take a glance at the screen and can actually see what is going on, rather than getting a little closer to see. You need to go to like Cabalas or Bass Pro and play around with the screens and get a distance from them and you will see what suits you best. Big is always better unless you on a small boat and not concerned with screen size. The side scan is awesome and depend on it all the time.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
For side scan, i'm all for getting the biggest screen you can afford. For my old eyes, it dang hard to interpret side scan images on a small screen.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Interesting, and thank you. I’m not sure if I can go to a 9, as far as cost goes. Even the 7 with side-imaging is getting costly, at least the Helix is.

But as I’m in my mid-40s, and with a very nice collection of dollar-tree reading glasses, I hear you on the vision issue!

I KNOW RAM MOUNTS ARE TOUGH BUT YOU GUYS TRUST A $1000 fishfinder to one? Good to know bc they allow for some flexibility.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
Interesting, and thank you. I’m not sure if I can go to a 9, as far as cost goes. Even the 7 with side-imaging is getting costly, at least the Helix is.

But as I’m in my mid-40s, and with a very nice collection of dollar-tree reading glasses, I hear you on the vision issue!

I KNOW RAM MOUNTS ARE TOUGH BUT YOU GUYS TRUST A $1000 fishfinder to one? Good to know bc they allow for some flexibility.

Absolutely on the ram mounts. I have had several of them on boats and have never had a problem...much better than the factory mounts.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Yep been using them for years.
Have a few on my ATV, one for the GPS another that I use to hold a handgun or water bottle. These are the small.1" and they take a beating yet solid.
Had some spot lights mounted last year on one of the mounts and they were solid, no more vibration than factory lighting.

jab0106

Ten Pointer
sidescan trumps down, big screen trumps small. price trumps all.

i've had/used most all of them, and from my experience with and around others that use them, it is mostly a waste of money other than gps mapping and spitting out a depth. if I had a tunnel hull i sure wouldn't be getting any HDS. give me a sounder and navionics and I can do everything I already do. just my .02

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just an FYI
I wanted down and side.
Ended up with 2d and down scan on a 9" unit.
Reason was the boat. Having a motor mounted directly to the transon along with Floatation pods it was just not going to work for me and my type of fishing.
If you side drift or troll it is not the best. My problem was the motor being in the way. They motor would need to be trimmed up too much to have the side scan clear it, other than that you would only get one side. Other thing was side scan on the units I was looking only worked good under 4 to 5 mph.
The pods limited the area I could mount the big transducer.

What I will be waiting on is the second unit.
They aim the will be making side scan for a TM mount. That way for drifting you can get left and right. Will also be able to keep it a true side scan any way you drift.
Other than that the second unit with side scan will a flip down transducer so it can be used with the motor down and running along with true side scan for any direction of drift.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Some interesting points. Dang, it's my first boat and fish finder. i'll be thrilled probably with something somewhat basic.

I'm tempted to run out to Bass Pro on my way by later this week and see what they have - but also trying to predict when the next big sale might be.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some interesting points. Dang, it's my first boat and fish finder. i'll be thrilled probably with something somewhat basic.

I'm tempted to run out to Bass Pro on my way by later this week and see what they have - but also trying to predict when the next big sale might be.

Most the current stuff they do not put on sale. Only items they are dropping or getting ready to. I waited and waited but nothing. Then got a 40$ card from Cabelas if I remember, checked a small shop in north raleigh and he had a better price than BP and Cabelas.

You can get some of the basic Hook 2 5 and 7" for sub 325 range. They have the triple shot 2d, down and side. Yep you dont get Nav but have basic GPS.

Being your first boat you may want something simple and cheaper price wise and then see what you want.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Lied to at Bass Pro it seems

I was in Bass Pro the other day and the guy behind the counter immediately steered me away from the H'birds saying they were by far the 3rd place brand behind Lowrance and Garmin. Said they lacked the customization of the other brands. Said you can't customize which screens you see and which you don't. I had just walked up to the counter when he started talking so I hadn't even explored any yet. It was my first time using a FF as well. While he talked, I hit menu, scrolled over and then down, and started hiding screens. When there was a break in his Lowrance spiel, I said "Did you say I can't hide certain screens on the Helix?", he said "Yeah". I said "What did I just do here then? It seems like I've hidden a bunch" He tried to look over the counter but had to come around the front and I swear he said something like "Oh you found the 'hidden' option?" He then immediately said "Well, come over here and look at the Lowrance...."

Sucker is getting a commission for meeting their monthly Lowrance goals I guess.

I'm going to have to pay attention if the display changes - i.e. which brand faces the main aisle at that kiosk. In this case, it was Lowrance.
"

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Just an FYI if you buy from Cabela's. ON Ebay SVM Giftcards runs deals on 100 dollar gift cards for 80 bucks. If they cost the same about everywhere, you could save 200 bucks by doing this. I have purchased many of them and looking to upgrade to a 9" screen soon. I have a Helix 5 SI that I like, but I wish I had a bigger screen for the viewing of multiple screens.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
This is all for a "new-to-me" boat and I'm a newbie boat-owner and fish-finder-owner. Realized/realizing that with a tunnel hull and trim tabs, that I really don't have room for a stern-mount transducer. Looks like it might have to be a through-hull. I wish I could do otherwise even though I won't be fishing in very deep water.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

If it is your first one before you mount it go to the site of whatever brand you buy and print off the owners manual (there won't be anything but a fast start copy in the box) put it in a binder and put it in a waterproof container in your boat. If not you will be lost when you get on the water trying to figure out how to use it.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I use the helix 5 with don scan and love it! If I coulda afforded a larger screen at the time it would be nice to have but the 5 gets the job done for me.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
If it is your first one before you mount it go to the site of whatever brand you buy and print off the owners manual (there won't be anything but a fast start copy in the box) put it in a binder and put it in a waterproof container in your boat. If not you will be lost when you get on the water trying to figure out how to use it.
Exactly, put in a binder where can't get wet and you will soon figure out how to use it while on water...best thing I ever done with my H'bird.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Just an FYI if you buy from Cabela's. ON Ebay SVM Giftcards runs deals on 100 dollar gift cards for 80 bucks.

Thanks! I saw this mentioned on The Hull Truth in a thread about "deals online". A few people verified it, so I got some. Basically 20% off whether or not there is a sale!

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Spent time in Cabelas and Bass Pro near Raleigh today looking for answers. Turns out most BP/C employees don't really know that much about these things! [edit: the employees that I met and presumably the ones that avoided me]

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Found the same thing.
Talking to some of the cabelas guys they were not sure about the units.
Looks like all the pick up is playing with them.there.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Spent time in Cabelas and Bass Pro near Raleigh today looking for answers. Turns out most BP/C employees don't really know that much about these things!
I've found that most big/chain stores have employees that don't know much about anything. They hire people that will work cheap and could not care any less if they have any knowledge about what they are selling. As far as marine related stores, West Marine is probably the worst I have dealt with.

Not sure where you're located but if you want to talk to someone that knows marine electronics, call or stop by Marine Electronics of the Outer Banks in Nags Head, 252-441-1360. or the GPS Store in Ocean Isle Beach.

Even if you don't buy from them, they would probably answer any questions you have. I've had nothing but good experiences dealing with either of them.

jab0106

Ten Pointer
I would make sure any unit I bought now or later has the FishReveal or equivalent technology, that is sweet and makes downscan so much more usable now.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've found that most big/chain stores have employees that don't know much about anything. They hire people that will work cheap and could not care any less if they have any knowledge about what they are selling.

This is true 99% of the time. I used to give box store employees the benefit of the doubt. I have had to learn that lesson over and over... and over. I'm done wasting my time. You will learn WAY more searching forums and youtube. Then just make the most informed choice you can and go with it. Read the manual and teach yourself.

Anything more advanced than, "what aisle is X on?" is usually a waste of time.