Understanding bay boats and then prices

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hello all, first time starting a thread in the saltwater section, I think.

I have recently found fascination in the idea of having a boat I can run in the sound/channel/ICW and use on Kerr lake close to my home. I am going to take the classes and will get my BIL to further train me on the water. I can operate basstracker style boats fairly confidently, as long as @haywoodhunter doesn’t make me back down that cliff he calls a boat ramp.

A few questions: are boat prices sky high right now on the used side, like trucks are? Seems you can buy a brand new boat for mid/upper 20s and the same boat 3 years old is still mid 20s. Boats that are 30 years old ( talking small sea hunts, crest liners, etc) can be in the 20k area as well. I know it depends what size/line/brand you’re looking at but I am looking at beginner cc in the 17-20 ft range. The reason I ask is because I have no experience in which to determine value of these boats.

Also, what are your opinions of decent“beginner” boats? I will be strictly starting in the lake to get comfortable. I was thinking a Carolina skiff would be a durable, relatively inexpensive boat, but have come to read on other forums like thehulltruth, that a little chop on the sound will make for a rough and wet ride in a flat bottom.

I am beginning research now and hope to have a boat in the next few years as long as life allows.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Get something with a V to it. Not a flat for a family boat.
On the price side there is a shortage of boats and parts prices reflect it. That has jacked the used market. I would not buy a boat now new or used if not a smoking deal.
Also factor in used there are no parts or very hard to get now. If you get one and needs parts it may be parked for a long time. Boat repair shops are also backed way up.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I had a Bass Tracker for about 25 years, bought a 19JLS Carolina Skiff last year, it has a V-Hull...It isn't perfect but does pretty good...It does list to the left a bit because they put the gas tank on the left side of the boat but other than that it's ok....

The speckled trout is from a trip to OBX 2 weeks ago, the crappie from High Rock... :)

Attachments

• 259E0F33-5068-4B31-9590-05282A51547E.jpeg
    259E0F33-5068-4B31-9590-05282A51547E.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 43
  • tempImageICMuwi.png
    tempImageICMuwi.png
    831.1 KB · Views: 42
  • tempImageHlMUK5.png
    tempImageHlMUK5.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

haulinbass

Four Pointer
Buy all the boat (and motor) that you THINK you will ever need. you won't be happy with smaller and eventually will trade your way up. I will be selling a 2016 Mako 21LTS soon (35k) new ones similar to this one are close to 50K. Whether or not you are interested in mine. Take a good look at the Mako (they have an 18LTS as well) I have had lots of boats, the LTS is hands down the most versatile

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Buy all the boat (and motor) that you THINK you will ever need. you won't be happy with smaller and eventually will trade your way up. I will be selling a 2016 Mako 21LTS soon (35k) new ones similar to this one are close to 50K. Whether or not you are interested in mine. Take a good look at the Mako (they have an 18LTS as well) I have had lots of boats, the LTS is hands down the most versatile
I had looked at those as well. I am in the very beginning stages of looking. I’m cursed with having to look at something 12 different ways, walk away, then come back and see if I still want it. So it will be a while before it happens. I appreciate the heads up, but I am looking for something less expensive 👍

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Also to add, only look in the price range you want. It will only be confusing to look at the rest. I would not buy a boat with wood in it a bay and fresh water boat.

maelstrom

Four Pointer
Buy all the boat (and motor) that you THINK you will ever need. you won't be happy with smaller and eventually will trade your way up.

This all day long. I bought a used 18' Jones Brothers Cape Fisherman a couple of years ago and I'm already looking to upgrade, not enough boat for what I want to do. Also, thehulltruth.com is a great resource for pretty much anything boat, motor, and trailer related. It has tons reviews from real owners (as opposed to bullchit reviews in magazines and sponsored websites).

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It does list to the left a bit because they put the gas tank on the left side of the boat but other than that it's ok....
If you get tired of it, adjustable trim tabs with an indicator switch will take care of that. It takes care of human weight problems too.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
If you get tired of it, adjustable trim tabs with an indicator switch will take care of that. It takes care of human weight problems too.

According to Chatlee, there isn't room to do that, took it there this Spring to do that very thing..

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks guys. My biggest holdup with pricing is reading other forums like THT. Old threads will be talking about models I’m interested in, and they’re talking prices well within my comfort zone. A quick marketplace or online check yields nothing close. That’s why I was curious if it’s just the times changing or something similar to the Automobile market right now

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I spent a lot of time last week in a 23' Jones Brothers Bateau. It handled the chop much better than any other flat boat I've fished.
21' Seafox before it, 22' Bayrider before the fox.
Bateau put them both to shame. Its not perfect for everyone but its by the far the best handling/riding flat boat I have ever been on.
My father in law ordered the boat in '19 and picked up in '20. He spoke with them earlier this year, they told him people ordering boats now are looking at '23 for pick up.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Know of a guy over one year wait on a 23 CF. They are way behind on boats, dealer here in Washington has a lot full of boats without motors. Boats up to 36 ft with no engines. They are selling these boats left and right without motors. Will call you when the motor(s) come in so they can install. Crazy times

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Know of a guy over one year wait on a 23 CF. They are way behind on boats, dealer here in Washington has a lot full of boats without motors. Boats up to 36 ft with no engines. They are selling these boats left and right without motors. Will call you when the motor(s) come in so they can install. Crazy times
Yep, i started looking for a new 200-250 yam or suzuki about first of the year. Every dealer i spoke with said it might be 20 weeks or 20 months, that they had no real idea when or what was coming on the next shipment.

vibesalive

Button Buck
I just bought a 2021 Pathfinder 2200 TRS with a 200 Yamaha. A real "bay boat". I'm an inshore saltwater guy. Perfect boat for that type of fishing,. However, they are pricey, but they do hold their resale value. Expect to pay in the neighborhood of 80K for a well-fitted Pathfinder.

I've owned Jones Bros. and they are skiffs. Any of them will beat you to death. Go with a bay boat, you won't regret it.