Under spined shafts??

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Got my insanity cpxl set up and ran into a problem, the GT5575s i normally shoot are too light for my cpxl at 80lbs. In fact they wouldnt let me shoot them at the range where i got set up at, so my question to you guys is am i ok to use these GT5575s or should i ditch em??

My arrows are 372 gns at 28.25 inches. I know this is slightly under the 5gn/# rule of thumb, but im not sure if the shop just wanted me to drop a bunch of cash on new arrows or is it really that serious.

I hear of people going with under spined shafts with no issues so not sure if its just an 80lb bow thing or what not.

Anyhow sorry for the long post, please chime in with your more experienced thoughts, i hate to go out and buy all new arrows since ive got these GTs that have only been fired 10-20 times and are already set up with nocturnals and such. -thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It seems like you are talking about two different things: spine weight and total arrow weight. If you are going to hunt with an 80 lb. bow, you need to go a lot higher than 372 grains, IMO. As far as spine, you should refer to the GT spine chart and see what it says for your bow. If you aren't real close, you should buy some more arrows.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
You could add 125 grain points to bring arrow weight to around 400 and shoot them, but they would be underspined. You need something in a .300 spine for that poundage. A 300 Easton Axis would be awesome and performance off the charts.

Last edited:

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Got my insanity cpxl set up and ran into a problem, the GT5575s i normally shoot are too light for my cpxl at 80lbs. In fact they wouldnt let me shoot them at the range where i got set up at, so my question to you guys is am i ok to use these GT5575s or should i ditch em??

My arrows are 372 gns at 28.25 inches. I know this is slightly under the 5gn/# rule of thumb, but im not sure if the shop just wanted me to drop a bunch of cash on new arrows or is it really that serious.

I hear of people going with under spined shafts with no issues so not sure if its just an 80lb bow thing or what not.

Anyhow sorry for the long post, please chime in with your more experienced thoughts, i hate to go out and buy all new arrows since ive got these GTs that have only been fired 10-20 times and are already set up with nocturnals and such. -thanks all

In general terms, under spined means your arrow will bend more and recover slower coming out of your bow. There is a happy medium between overspined and underspined. Your rig will probably shoot field points fine, but will shoot fixed heads like a scatter gun IMO. The ideal situation is to have your arrow clean up as soon as possible without being too stiff.

If I were you, I'd be looking for some 300 spine shafts and bumping that arrow weight up and over 400 grains. In the grand scheme of things, the arrow is what we send to reduce game to our possession. Why scrimp on funds for the most important part of the job?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Why scrimp on funds for the most important part of the job?

You haven't met my Mrs lol. All joking aside i honestly didn't understand the dynamics of it all, and I'm really glad i asked before doing something incredibly stupid, that would have no doubt ended up in the "Best Of" section lol. Now that i understand it better ill just have em back the bow down to 70lbs so i don't have to re-outfit again.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
You haven't met my Mrs lol. All joking aside i honestly didn't understand the dynamics of it all, and I'm really glad i asked before doing something incredibly stupid, that would have no doubt ended up in the "Best Of" section lol. Now that i understand it better ill just have em back the bow down to 70lbs so i don't have to re-outfit again.

Those pesky hens get in the way of a bunch of fun don't they. ;)

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I have 3 full gun safes so i rrrrrreeeeeaaaaasllllllyyy cant complain lol

Speed1

Eight Pointer
Travis, according to the gt shaft chart you would need a 300 spine shaft at 28 inches, that would probably work, but you could also try the 250 spine also, it might tune better, only way to know is try, good luck. That is with the 80 pound draw weight of course, just curious but why would you want to draw such heavy poundage?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Bowtech gave me a free pair of limbs and i figured id just see if i liked it.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have 3 full gun safes so i rrrrrreeeeeaaaaasllllllyyy cant complain lol

Ok, I found your solution. Sell just ONE of those guns and buy you 3 dozen really nice arrows with whatever broadheads you want to try.:) You can get a dozen for each set of limbs.

OnslowDeerMan

I was kinda wondering about the 80lb limbs myself, but just figured it was personal preferance. You could always sell one of your unused guns and get some high end arrows plus have money to spare or you could go back to the 70lb limbs, a bow with 60lb limbs will drop em, with 70lb you'll have nothing at all to worry about haha