Ultimate Kill Plot

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Had this discussion the other day with a fellow hunter.

I have an area that is about 1/4 of an acre in the middle of 30 acres of cutover. I plan to put in a food plot just for harvesting purposes.

What would you all plant in this area? This for next season.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
This time of year , I’d plant some winter peas with some oats thrown in.

For next year , I’d plant cow peas like weekender said. You won’t be sorry.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
You could get by with just keeping it mowed. Whatever you plant is gonna get ate to the ground anyway(y)

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd plant a corn feeder right in the middle of it in addition to the grain/clover combination that I planted. With only 1/4 acre of greenery it won't last long if there are deer around.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I'd plant a corn feeder right in the middle of it in addition to the grain/clover combination that I planted. With only 1/4 acre of greenery it won't last long if there are deer around.
I'd say it's in VA, but I could be mistaken.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

This farm actually in caswell. 225 acres. One side of road is 80 acres of fields that I keep planted. This side is 100 acres of hardwood with the 30 acres of cutover. I took the loading dock and cleaned it up for food plot. Just trying to make it a great harvest plot.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I told buddy we should just take about 20 bags of cobbed corn and put out and leave alone for couple weeks. But we decided we going to do a true food plot.

Just want something different from what I got across the road. Which is mostly clover, milo, millet, wheat and two 1/4 acre turnip plots.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Test the soil and plant ladino clover with oats or over seed the clover late with winter wheat. Peas won't last a but a few weeks on a 1/4 acre plot if you have even a few deer. Really need to plant clover in late Sept or Oct for the following year. Keep the weeds mowed out and it will produce for 4-6 years.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can tell you a 1/4 acre clover plot wont last up in Rockingham county. Heck I can barely keep 2 acres going. If you have a good size herd then I would plant something that can handle the grazing.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I can tell you a 1/4 acre clover plot wont last up in Rockingham county. Heck I can barely keep 2 acres going. If you have a good size herd then I would plant something that can handle the grazing.

I've got almost 80 acres of food directly across the road from this track. This just a secluded hole in the wall location. That I'm looking to draw deer like magnets. And yes I herd population is very strong.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got almost 80 acres of food directly across the road from this track. This just a secluded hole in the wall location. That I'm looking to draw deer like magnets. And yes I herd population is very strong.
OATS.....
Use Oats and winter rye . They will come up fast .... and plant them thicker than normal. The deer should have the place ate bald by Christmas if you plant now.
I guarantee; ;)