Uggh, My dove hunts last weekend.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I haven't been to the lease like I used to in many years. I decided that needed to change. Peer pressure and better pre planning on my part got me up there for the Labor Day weekend. First time in a LONG time!

I had 3 boxes of shells, which I figured would get me through the 2023 season.

I started out with a great Friday evening with friends, leftover chix wings from Rudino's in Raleigh, and an early bed time. Next am, I head to the "barn" and only walk maybe 200 yards to a power pole in the middle of like 4 different cow/bull lots. For years it's been a flyline. I enjoyed the morning time alone, and when it got light the gunshots from nearby farms kept me on my toes. I had 6 birds down in only 10 shots. I felt like I was on fire.

Then the wheels fell off. Miss after miss after miss until finally, my Remington 870 express magnum pump would no longer cycle. The amount of birds circling, in fact landing on the power line above my head whilst furiously attempted to eject the last shell was insulting. I finally decided to head to the clubhouse, and cook breakfast, after a great morning, and decent dove hunting.

The cool crisp temps helped me calm down regarding my gun issues.

IMG_20210904_080642697.jpg

So I got back to the clubhouse and started to grill bacon, then made omelets as the few members pulled up. I was MUCH happier about my cooking results than my dove hunting results.

IMG_20210904_095320805.jpgIMG_20210904_110008589.jpgIMG_20210904_110701788.jpg

Turns out the card I had in the Tactacam was full, so no footage avaialbe :mad: My own stupid fault.

Several people took apart my gun, down to screws mind you, and we oiled everything up, Exxon Valdez style, and I went back out for an afternoon hunt. I missed a couple more birds, then noticed I couldn't cycle the third shell. More taking apart of my 870 proved I put the thing that touches the shells in the tube in upside down, so there wasn't enough pressure on the third shell, even with the plug in place.

I quickly grew tired of answering questions line "when is the last time you used this gun?" "5 years ago, to paddle my canoe".

"When is the last time you oiled this gun?" "Nineteen Ninety ??????"

"What choke are you using?" "Ummmmm, ".

Ammo was now low so my goal Sunday was to find some. Found a case, and was ready to use less than one box for a limit on Monday morning.

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Sunday night we had a big ole cookout at the clubhouse, 2 grills FULL of meat and veggies!!!! Smoke and BS were ROLLING!!!

IMG_20210905_201007474.jpg

IMG_20210905_195408948.jpg

Then, Labor Day am, I was asked by members to join them in a field, rather than venture off by myself. I was asked, imho opinion, to go to possibly the BEST spot in the center of this field, where not only most birds travel, but EVERYONE could see/hear me and the doves I'm shooting at.

I think the pressure got to me.

I had a GREAT time, but my shoulder and pride will forever be damaged.

Behold.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Dude....I LOVE that tactacam footage. The dove almost landing on the powerline....and the one actually landing in the tree....the play by play....truly classic.

Ive saved this vid and will show it to my children someday. :D :D

That powerline one juked me for real!! Left/Right/Get Outta Dodge!! The Tree one I figured was dead meat. Shoot below it, make it fly, then kill it. I was VERY wrong on BOTH accounts! I became VERY frustrated!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Great read. Even though the final tally may not have been what you may have wished, I'm sure the fun afield and the outstanding table fare for the weekend was more than acceptable. You should really think about submitting some stuff to a outdoors magazine. You have a great way with words.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great story. Used my tactacam for first time Labor Day. What software do you use to piece together your clips.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Great story. Used my tactacam for first time Labor Day. What software do you use to piece together your clips.

I use the free Windows Video Editor that came with Windows 10. It's got a pretty steep learning curve, but if I can do it anyone can do it.

I will also never mount my tactacam beyond the barell again. The compression of the shot kept turning it on and off, so I had literally hours of recordings for only minutes worth of action. Took all day to create that 3 minute video. Then I noticed the videos got darker and darker, because of the soot buidling up on the lens.

But I was impressed by the footage of doves! I recorded at 5X power the whole time, and many of the doves are quite clear to make out.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the free Windows Video Editor that came with Windows 10. It's got a pretty steep learning curve, but if I can do it anyone can do it.

I will also never mount my tactacam beyond the barell again. The compression of the shot kept turning it on and off, so I had literally hours of recordings for only minutes worth of action. Took all day to create that 3 minute video. Then I noticed the videos got darker and darker, because of the soot buidling up on the lens.

But I was impressed by the footage of doves! I recorded at 5X power the whole time, and many of the doves are quite clear to make out.
Yeah, I like that footage. Seems like there would be a learning curve to the setup too.

You've got me interested...

Last edited: