UCLA vs NCSU CANCELLED

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Hearing ECU will get zilch from the Military Bowl since BC bailed and cancelled the game. I’ve only heard this from friends but will confirm tomorrow with one who will know for certain. Wonder if the Holiday Bowl has the same contract…..no contest, no pay out.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
ESPN reporting that Dave Doeren said that Holiday Bowl officials presented them with the trophy and that NC State will count this as their 10th win in their record books.... interesting.... seems like I heard about something like that happening a few years ago and some people found it ridiculous

Ol' well, guess the saying is true, as long as it is your color jersey doing it then its cool, if it's not it's stupid.... part of why I love college sports!

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
ESPN reporting that Dave Doeren said that Holiday Bowl officials presented them with the trophy and that NC State will count this as their 10th win in their record books....
I have no problem with that, and think it is appropriate. NC State was obviously better prepared to fulfill the obligation.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
ESPN reporting that Dave Doeren said that Holiday Bowl officials presented them with the trophy and that NC State will count this as their 10th win in their record books.... interesting.... seems like I heard about something like that happening a few years ago and some people found it ridiculous

Ol' well, guess the saying is true, as long as it is your color jersey doing it then its cool, if it's not it's stupid.... part of why I love college sports!

I guess you missed it when precedent was set on June 25-26th in Omaha.

v8stang289

Twelve Pointer
I thought the NCAA declared it "no contest" with no winner?
I haven't seen anything about them declaring State the winner.

I know Doeren said he/NCSU would count it as a win since they were ready to play and UCLA wasn't.

It does seem like the situation was handled poorly, especially with the communication.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

I know Doeren said he/NCSU would count it as a win since they were ready to play and UCLA wasn't.

It does seem like the situation was handled poorly, especially with the communication.
Handled poorly is being way to kind

Newsome Road

Ten Pointer

It is my understanding that the ncaa called it a no contest. States official record is 9-3. I'm not sure why the Holiday Bowl crew decided to give State the trophy.

Aside from that, my understanding is that NC State opt to treat it as a win for the program, essentially because they felt like DD deserved the bonus in his contract for bowl wins. From what I've seen, it wasn't done to claim any glory, it was to keep from shafting the coaching staff.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It is my understanding that the ncaa called it a no contest. States official record is 9-3. I'm not sure why the Holiday Bowl crew decided to give State the trophy.

Aside from that, my understanding is that NC State opt to treat it as a win for the program, essentially because they felt like DD deserved the bonus in his contract for bowl wins. From what I've seen, it wasn't done to claim any glory, it was to keep from shafting the coaching staff.
i knew that was in play. It would have been better if the university just gave him the coin and he avoided his speech railing against the ncaa.
Now we know why he was so anxious for a W. LOL