Two firsts in three days

RPD689

Spike
I have been trapping coyotes in NC for 20 years. I experienced two first time happenings on the line within three days of each other a week ago.

#1: a coyote/ skunk double .

I had a skunk in the left trap and a female coyote in the right. Sign at the location showed that there was a second coyote there. Tracks showed its direction of travel as it left and there were three kickbacks in the path about. thirty yards apart. Time was critical that day, so I did not make a set for it until the next day. The coyote told me how to catch it. First check was a non target that was released. Contrary to what many preach, I reset the same trap in the same set. There ws a male coyote spinning around the day after.

#2: a coyote/dog double.

I turned off the road and saw a white animal in the first trap. A few years ago, I caught an almost pure white skunk within 100 yards of where this trap was, so I had bad thoughts. About 15 feet away was a back foot caught coyote doing his best to imitate a NASA rocket launch as he went straight up as soon as his feet hit the ground. All this was happening in the 0600 pitch black dark. I got the pole on him and loaded him in the truck. The white object was a mixed breed dog weighing about 20 pounds. The buyer and I both estimate the coyote to weigh in the neighborhood of 50 pounds. He is one of the largest that I have caught. This happened on the same day that I caught the non target above.

Question:

Which animal do you think was caught first at each set? What might the coyotes intentions have been?

I am off the line for a couple of days, so I thought that I would take time to post. I have a flip phone that is text disabled. I did get camera pictures of #1 and the coyote. I had a ride along on catch day. So, sorry but no pictures.

Thank you for reading an old man's ramblings.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would guess skunk first on that double and the coyote was mostly just curious since it is breeding season. But coyotes are opportunistic and could have been looking an easy meal also. You did not say if the coyote was caught in a baited set or just a lured set.

No idea on the other one.

RPD689

Spike
The farm manager knew where he came from. He was headed that way the last time that I saw him. He is one of those dogs that roams the area at will.

It is breeding season for some at this time , but the coyote still has to eat.