Tweaking the tune.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Focused on fine tuning my 3D rig this morning, getting as close as possible to the center of that tuning circle. That ideal combination of spine, point weight, and brace height comes with some added benefits....forgiveness and speed.
70" longbow, 354gr Maxima Blue Streak 150's, 41.86# otf. I gained an additional 7 fps from my original tune. That will make a difference if I miss that range estimation by a yard or two...
.186.jpg193.jpg41.86.jpg

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nice work man! What equipment are you running?
It's a longbow I put together with an old Hoyt compound riser and Dryad longbow limbs. The limbs are 45# but Dryad measures their limbs in a 21" riser. The Hoyt is a 25" riser, that makes the limbs lose about 4# which is perfect for my old shoulders, lol....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You said a lot though about tuning the bow and finding the right arrows and tuning them if needed. All about efficiency.
That increase in efficiency also brings an increase in forgiveness. I look at it like a circle: You can be reasonably accurate if your tune is at or near the edge of the circle but the second your release is off, you pluck the string, or your bow arm isn't rock solid....anything we do as an archer that can affect the shot negatively......that ten suddenly becomes an eight or a five...or a zero....on the scorecard. And in the woods it's even more critical.....

The traditional archer also has to deal with a finger release and since our bows are rarely cut to center, a degree of paradox as well as the arrow literally bends around the riser, hopefully stabilizing before impact. The closer we can get to the center of that circle with solid tuning......doesn't matter if it's a stick bow or a compound.....the more room we have to screw up before things get outta hand..... ;)

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Looking good! What is your carbon shafts spining at, at the cut length? I'm not overly familiar with CE arrow shafts, I know their spine numbering system is totally different than most manufacturers. Ever shot some good POC shafts out of her? I shoot carbon shafts out of my compound but just cant seem to get myself to shoot them out of my rcurves. I do like old school aluminums though...currently shooting XX75 1816's with a 175g head out of my 43# recurve at 28".

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking good! What is your carbon shafts spining at, at the cut length? I'm not overly familiar with CE arrow shafts, I know their spine numbering system is totally different than most manufacturers. Ever shot some good POC shafts out of her? I shoot carbon shafts out of my compound but just cant seem to get myself to shoot them out of my rcurves. I do like old school aluminums though...currently shooting XX75 1816's with a 175g head out of my 43# recurve at 28".
DarrinG, thanks buddy, 'preciate it! The Blue Streak 150 is a 508 spine. I only shoot full length shafts, helps keep my gaps smaller, lol, haven't cut one in almost ten years. One of the benefits of the ILF system is the ability to make minor adjustments with the limb bolts to help bring the bow to the spine of the arrow you're dealing with so I can rise or lower my poundage up or down a few pounds if necessary to tune. Once I get close I use point weight or brace height adjustments to fine tune. If I can't get them to tune with all those tools I figure I've got the wrong arrow.....
I'm one of those guys who enjoys tuning and I'll usually stay at it until I can get a bare shaft to hit with the fletched out to 20-25 yards...

Never tried a cedar arrow, I'd like to some time, but as rough as I can be on them I'm not sure I could afford them! :ROFLMAO:
robinhood.jpg

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Thats awesome, LR. Nothing quite like the feeling of actually feeling the tension of the string on your fingers and the dump at the shot. Thats good stuff! I had a ILF rig a couple years ago myself. Nice to be able to adjust tiller and such for tuning. I sold mine and went back to a wood bow, just for the aesthetics of it. I like the feel of the traditional type trad bow.

Theres something about the feel of wood arrow shafts out of a trad bow, for me anyhow. Its like a feel, a fit. Like french fries and ketchup.....mayflies and wild trout. POC or other woods are not as "durable" so to speak as some modern materials but the beauty of them and how the feel out of a wood trad bow is like a good fitting glove. That said, I'm currently shooting aluminums out of my recurve. Hope to go back to wood sometime soon., gotta use up these couple dozen XX75's first.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thats awesome, LR. Nothing quite like the feeling of actually feeling the tension of the string on your fingers and the dump at the shot. Thats good stuff! I had a ILF rig a couple years ago myself. Nice to be able to adjust tiller and such for tuning. I sold mine and went back to a wood bow, just for the aesthetics of it. I like the feel of the traditional type trad bow.

Theres something about the feel of wood arrow shafts out of a trad bow, for me anyhow. Its like a feel, a fit. Like french fries and ketchup.....mayflies and wild trout. POC or other woods are not as "durable" so to speak as some modern materials but the beauty of them and how the feel out of a wood trad bow is like a good fitting glove. That said, I'm currently shooting aluminums out of my recurve. Hope to go back to wood sometime soon., gotta use up these couple dozen XX75's first.
Good luck buddy! Yeah, I haven't been able to bowhunt for over 3 years now, can't wait to get back after'em this season!

I've got a couple of wood bows that I shoot pretty regular, my Fox Triple Crown will probably be my go-to hunting rig this year....