Turnip Greens

C120

Six Pointer
I have always waited until after the first frost in the area before picking turnip greens. Do you'll who garden wait or do you pick turnip greens when they are ready?

specialk

Twelve Pointer
My grands never would till the frost hit....they planted purple tops along with kale and mustard greens...they mixed the seeds...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As far as the greens, I was always under the impression that they were shot after the first frost.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Never heard of waiting on turnip greens till frost. A lot of people grow them from spring till fall and cut them as they get ready. Some like the collards better after a frost. But i dont like collards so doubt a frost would change them for me. Have a 100 or so collard in the garden that wife will end up giving most away

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have heard from some old timers you could stick the fresh cut collards or greens in the freezer and would have about same affect as a frost on them. But I don’t like them so no clue if it works

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I quit trying to grow anything but did go to Raleigh today and picked up a few bunches of turnip salad at the Farmer's Market. Nobody told me that the seafood resturant was closed on Mon. and Tue. now so I guess I'll be going back soon.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Never cared much at all for turnip greens or collards but oh what I’d give to walk in my grandparents house and have that smell of them cooking hit me in the face just one more time!!!!!!!

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
My grandparents neighbor gave them 10 pounds worth of mixed greens Thursday. Finally got them cleaned and cooked last night and I’ll go ahead tell you. I don’t know how a frost can make these any better. Talk about slap-yo-momma good. If I keep this up through the weekend, I’ll be green before Monday morning.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Usually use ham hock for collards. Cooking some now in slow cooker with 2 ham hocks for wife. Never tried cook them in slow cooker before. Some years have cooked them in the back yard in a big stew pot. Used a whole salt smoke cured ham in the pot then. That’s a pricey way though. By the time you buy the ham and a tank of gas to cook them a lot easier to just buy them already cooked.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I quit trying to grow anything but did go to Raleigh today and picked up a few bunches of turnip salad at the Farmer's Market. Nobody told me that the seafood resturant was closed on Mon. and Tue. now so I guess I'll be going back soon.
Bummer! 🙁 Collards or turnips are a decent consolation prize for a fried shellfish/fish meal. Better check the web next time for hours of operation though, so you are not sorely disappointed.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Bummer! 🙁 Collards or turnips are a decent consolation prize for a fried shellfish/fish meal. Better check the web next time for hours of operation though, so you are not sorely disappointed.
I did. Looked pretty clear to me. That's why I was kinda disappointed. Heading back to Raleigh Wed. I hope to pick up some grass carp so I'll try again. And probably get some more salad and hope that lady is back with more white corn.

Screenshot 2021-10-30 4.58.20 PM.png

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i will use ham hocks( sometimes smoked turkey wings....boil in the bottom of a big pot w/ chicken broth....take out and trim off what meat i can.....dump chopped up greens and cook for an hour or two.....add some sugar and salt/pepper........cornbread is a must when eating......also pepper sauce.....

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
A long time ago, I used to grow and sell produce. I'd often sell grocery bags full of greens. It's funny to see the different types of people that buy greens and what kinds of greens they buy. Turnip greens would usually be at the bottom. I'd sell a lot of mustards and collards. The Asian greens and some of the more weird greens sold great to the "green people"

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
A long time ago, I used to grow and sell produce. I'd often sell grocery bags full of greens. It's funny to see the different types of people that buy greens and what kinds of greens they buy. Turnip greens would usually be at the bottom. I'd sell a lot of mustards and collards. The Asian greens and some of the more weird greens sold great to the "green people"
Would bok choy be considered an Asian green? Not even trying to be funny. Dad loves that stuff