Turkeys are really stupid...

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
We used to ride out the mountain, dad would get out of the truck and bang on the hood trying to get one to shock gobble. I thought that was funny until I saw this.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well since we all admit how stupid they are why is there a race to the bottom to take advantage of their stupidity. 🤷‍♂️

when some of the world's best start shooting them out of tower stands and hiding behind umbrellas it may be time to swing the other way.
How about a challenge taking them with just your calling ability and a weapon.
Then decide who the stupid one is.
IF we keep taking advantage with every known aid we gonna shootem out. IMO.
This season may be the last one we get with anything close to normal action and seasons.
Is that :panic:enough?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well since we all admit how stupid they are why is there a race to the bottom to take advantage of their stupidity. 🤷‍♂️

when some of the world's best start shooting them out of tower stands and hiding behind umbrellas it may be time to swing the other way.
IF we keep taking advantage with every known aid we gonna shootem out. IMO.
This season may be the last one we get with anything close to normal action and seasons.
Is that :panic:enough?

I wonder what @Mike Noles aka conman would say about the intelligence of these feathered goats? *grin*

I say, if its legal, choot em. In da faaaaaaace. (quoting an esteemed deer hunter on this one)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

I'm all about no dekes, no man made screening (blinds, etc),,,heck I'll forgo calling other than leaf scratching,,,, though calling is fun to "mess with their minds",,,

they are still stupid,,,,

but scared,,,scared of everything - that's what makes them a challenge at times

let's not try to make them what they aren't

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I often think folks mistake "call shy" as "people shy". Turkeys are tuned in to noticing predators lurking around. Can they learn to associate a lot of calling with people lurking around? I don't know. Maybe so...

Here's what happens if you call before the season too much and the turkey is tired of it....

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I often think folks mistake "call shy" as "people shy". Turkeys are tuned in to noticing predators lurking around. Can they learn to associate a lot of calling with people lurking around? I don't know. Maybe so...

Here's what happens if you call before the season too much and the turkey is tired of it....

For my 2 cents I think you can make them people shy or whatever you wanna call it but not just by calling to them before season my experience is like in Pisgah say if 10 people scouting call bird in and that bird comes in and sees caller which they often come in quiet they tend to sit in spot and gobble after so long which is natural to them anyway. Of course catch one in right mood and your gonna kill him if can shoot straight. I don't think there is a one answer for this topic lot of variables.

ol bob

Six Pointer
There is 2 kinds of smart book smart, and street smart. A turkey has something trying to kill and eat him 24-7, 365 days a year from before he's born to the last breath he takes, believe me he gets street smart, thats why almost anyone can kill a jake but not many can kill a bird with 1 1/2"+ spurs so a old bird is not stupid.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There is 2 kinds of smart book smart, and street smart. A turkey has something trying to kill and eat him 24-7, 365 days a year from before he's born to the last breath he takes, believe me he gets street smart, thats why almost anyone can kill a jake but not many can kill a bird with 1 1/2"+ spurs so a old bird is not stupid.
you have missed the big ole toms getting plastered by the reapers? They sure look stupid in those situations.
The very biggest and oldest may be most aggressive and vulnerable to the new techniques.
When Charles Ruth in Sc changed their whole season structure to try and protect the alpha breeders it confirmed my thoughts.
It's a nice fantasy for us hunters to decide the stuff we chase are smarter as they get old but in fact they may just be rarer. Same net effect, harder to get one; but for a different reason.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

no offense,,,but I've heard it all now,,,

turkeys are street smart,,,

OK

Rw3bIxXs6eSXYpNGRJihD8_PRbeRgq9cvjJA7JK4MiefAH7r7hWEiUYpcJnsI72Q2IpRb-giWF8PI6VtQVL2f8t4cfSd0USSGDbL4VGmffeA7iH9T3vlo5w-OQqjxr_rTD30qhos1XHITlg8BQ

1608134525353.jpeg

348101848.jpg

as they get older,,,they get more and more scared of everything,,,from that "trying to kill and eat him 24-7, 365 days a year from before he's born to the last breath he takes" stuff,,,,

it ain't "street smart",,,, it's "scared to death of his shadow",,,,,

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
All I know is I hate the stupid things because I’m the worst turkey hunter so I guess that makes me pretty stupid lol. I’m impatient, refuse to hunt them like a deer and if they aren’t vocal I feel like I’m just on a nature hike with a shotgun. I just need to go hunt Merimams I suppose to get what I want with vocal birds. I might make it out two or three times around here just because I’d rather be terrible at trying to catch a big bass instead of sucking it up trying to kill 20 lb bird.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
All I know is I hate the stupid things because I’m the worst turkey hunter so I guess that makes me pretty stupid lol. I’m impatient, refuse to hunt them like a deer and if they aren’t vocal I feel like I’m just on a nature hike with a shotgun. I just need to go hunt Merimams I suppose to get what I want with vocal birds. I might make it out two or three times around here just because I’d rather be terrible at trying to catch a big bass instead of sucking it up trying to kill 20 lb bird.
anyone may catch a big bass but EVERYONE does indeed kill a 20lb turkey. That used to be a big one in NC. Now it's a tiny one.
You are a subject of pity if your dead turkey doesnt weigh 20lbs.
I get pitied alot. :)
i get the hate part of a turkey.
I do stand on the necks of some for longer than necessary if they don't "act right"
I hope you get that chance this season.
You deserve it by sticking in there and giving them a chance.
You will never catch a bass that you will enjoy more than any turkey you call and kill.
Just trust me on that. I have caught all measures of bass, big, numbers and profitable(tourney) but the turkeys are better.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
anyone may catch a big bass but EVERYONE does indeed kill a 20lb turkey. That used to be a big one in NC. Now it's a tiny one.
You are a subject of pity if your dead turkey doesnt weigh 20lbs.
I get pitied alot. :)
i get the hate part of a turkey.
I do stand on the necks of some for longer than necessary if they don't "act right"
I hope you get that chance this season.
You deserve it by sticking in there and giving them a chance.
You will never catch a bass that you will enjoy more than any turkey you call and kill.
Just trust me on that. I have caught all measures of bass, big, numbers and profitable(tourney) but the turkeys are better.

I did finally kill one back 2018, opening day jake. Had birds gobble on roost all morning, hen land right in my lap and I guess she brought in the two jake. Had a gobbler out of range in front of me. Having never had a chance at one before I took one of the jakes at 10 yards and watched the other one flog him. Back at the truck by 7:30.For whatever reason I had vocal birds either on that piece or near it every time I went to that spot that year. It about gave me the bug, but last year and this year the non-vocal mountain birds took the wind out of my sails haha. I’ll still chase them a couple days every year, get excited hearing one gobble and savor every bite if I can ever fill a tag again but I’d rather use vacation days and tag $ for September through December running around from the east coast to the Rockies.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
no offense,,,but I've heard it all now,,,

turkeys are street smart,,,

OK

Rw3bIxXs6eSXYpNGRJihD8_PRbeRgq9cvjJA7JK4MiefAH7r7hWEiUYpcJnsI72Q2IpRb-giWF8PI6VtQVL2f8t4cfSd0USSGDbL4VGmffeA7iH9T3vlo5w-OQqjxr_rTD30qhos1XHITlg8BQ

View attachment 56922

348101848.jpg

as they get older,,,they get more and more scared of everything,,,from that "trying to kill and eat him 24-7, 365 days a year from before he's born to the last breath he takes" stuff,,,,

it ain't "street smart",,,, it's "scared to death of his shadow",,,,,

Its why i've committed to hunting Jakes, not street smart, more tender and just seem to love my box call. Im a first come first serve type of turkey hunter. That plus there is nothing more frustrating than putting out corn to deer hunt to look over and see 25 dang turkeys devouring $7 worth of corn before you get in your stand.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Its why i've committed to hunting Jakes, not street smart, more tender and just seem to love my box call. That plus there is nothing more frustrating than putting out corn to deer hunt to look over and see 25 dang turkeys devouring $7 worth of corn before you get in your stand.

4qmdv1.jpg