Turkey setup for squirrels

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone use their turkey gun/choke for squirrels? I've watched the squirrels here around the house bouncing through the tops of the trees and I've often thought, "I could hit them pretty good with my turkey gun." When I'm working around the house, they are always moving, hardly ever sitting still. Between the mini reflex sight and the tight choke, it seems like it would be ideal for hitting those squirrels shaking limbs in the tree tops.

I know some people, OT's especially, are funny about their squirrel guns. Many will only take head shots and only with a .22. The really old guys seem to think that a 20 ga. or 16 ga. is the definition of a squirrel gun. I've killed them both ways, and even when I hunted with a dedicated squirrel man (Inman) behind dogs, we carried both in case they were timbering. Thoughts? Extra full too much?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I have many times used my 12 ga turkey gun to kill squirrels and a grouse on occasion when I'm fall turkey hunting I carry some 2 3/4 6 shot shells with me for that reason. I will admit I miss way more with my turkey choke. Now if I'm only squirrel hunting I still take shotgun but use more open choke the tighter ones just to tight for my taste. As far as .22 ill on occasion use one but I just love shotgun hunting I'll carry my Moss 500 most all time to hunt squirrels with and on occasion break out the Winch single shot 12 ga

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I was thinking this same thing as I was standing at my front door Sunday as it was raining watching 5 squirrels go back and forth from my pecan tree to the woods and back. They all were using the path of trees along what used to be my pasture fence. Fence is gone but stand of trees is still there and they jump from tree to tree covering about 75 yards quickly. One day I am going to have a mess of squirrels to cook.

old dog

Spike
A .410 with 3" #6 shot is the ideal squirrel gun/load IMO!
That what I used to start with 3 years ago and never felt the need to change. Managed 6 with it opening morning on the public lands, .22 I'd have been lucky to get 3, but I'm not exactly the worlds greatest shot. I am tempted to break out the 12 ga. with turkey choke for some longer range work late season.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I killed a few the other day with my .410 O/U, with a turkey choke loaded with 1/2 oz of TSS 9-1/2s on one barrel and 11/16 oz of lead 6s and full choke on the bottom barrel. I killed a couple way up high with the light TSS and turkey choke. And the close ones with the lead 6s. It’s actually a very nice squirrel setup....

rdennis

Spike
Early season I use a 20 ga with high brass shells 4,5 or 6 shot and full choke works fine. If you shoot the low brass 20 ga shells people use x-full choke.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I killed one with some xr 4s and a truglo extra full one time....at least, I’m guessing I did judging by what was left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk