Turkey poachers in FL caught

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Wow, I can barely get two per season and he's killing 30 in one season. I understand that he's poaching but was he using a rifle and picking them off long range or what?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The article said that he was 28 so that doesn't leave a lot of time for a kid. If the kid was born when the perp was 16 the kid could be 12.

Wv67

Ten Pointer
OL boy must of been just a low down greedy SOB. Why would anyone wanna kill so many turkeys or deer , unless your starving and have a lot of mouths to feed I just don’t get it

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Good grief criminals are dumb. Why would anyone waste the time and add the risk for wild turkeys? If I'm poaching, it's gonna be a better meat to risk ratio. Gill netting or spotlighting deer. Otherwise, I'd just work a little OT and go buy some Butterballs after thanksgiving and fill the freezer.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Likely bait piles
Not necessarily. there was one in SC and Woodmoose knows exactly who I am talking about. I would say he would have given that guy a run for his money. Absolutely no bait was involved. But, he was very good at killing them. And was in the woods every day from when the season came in in the lower end to it ended. He wound up pulling time on an unrelated issue (felony) and I just found out last week even with that conviction he is still at it. Some folks it seems just can't help themselves.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Not necessarily. there was one in SC and Woodmoose knows exactly who I am talking about. I would say he would have given that guy a run for his money. Absolutely no bait was involved. But, he was very good at killing them. And was in the woods every day from when the season came in in the lower end to it ended. He wound up pulling time on an unrelated issue (felony) and I just found out last week even with that conviction he is still at it. Some folks it seems just can't help themselves.
I just can't understand that mentality how many dead birds does a person need to see. At same time dang if that ain't bunch Killin with no bait I wouldn't have guessed that

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

If you can locate a big flock, that can get you 15-30 birds in a couple days. Remember you’re just killing indiscriminately - shooting off the roost, using a rifle, etc.

It’s definitely a weird desire.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you can locate a big flock, that can get you 15-30 birds in a couple days. Remember you’re just killing indiscriminately - shooting off the roost, using a rifle, etc.

Is that how this poacher did it?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
There are plenty that can give the FL man company. One of their newest tools are the quieter smaller guns which don’t give them away as easily. They all talk and some are dumb enough to do it on social media. Otherwise they likely never get caught.
I am no expert on catching them but I did talk with a GW who is. He is as dedicated to catching them as they are in killing as many as they can.
I hope he wins.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are plenty that can give the FL man company. One of their newest tools are the quieter smaller guns which don’t give them away as easily. They all talk and some are dumb enough to do it on social media. Otherwise they likely never get caught.
I am no expert on catching them but I did talk with a GW who is. He is as dedicated to catching them as they are in killing as many as they can.
I hope he wins.
To a dedicated GW it is an obsession. They get as much out of catching a poacher as a hunter does outsmarting a wily old tom or buck, or so I heard. :cool: