Turkey Permit Hunt Drawings

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Pretty happy with mine. Went 2/2! I got Butner 4/25-27 and my brother and I got Sandhills 5/2-4...

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've been taking my son scouting on Butner-Falls since beginning of February in anticipation of him drawing this permit. We've really just been looking at "turkey" looking areas and learning the lay of the land. Butner has a few places that look like they would hold turkeys, but I keep hearing reports from buddies about turkeys in areas that you wouldn't think they would be in. There are some nice holes in that game land, but I haven't pegged down the birds yet. I've got a pretty good idea on where they will be heading for the spring based on where they were this past fall. Now to just hope we are right. I've never hunted turkey on Butner so I guess we will find out in a few weeks, lol.
I wouldn't base anything on whete they were in fall totally different patterns as well as split up will have happen by April only thing your gaining by scouting before now is learning land. In about 2 weeks or little sooner birds will be splitting hens will be moving to nesting grounds and by march 20th or so breeding will be in full force that is when you wanna pin birds down where they are last week march they should be on youth opener.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got the Sandhills gameland for May 2 thru the 4th.
May not use it though, picked up some more land to hunt on Barbecue creek in Harnett county as of last Sunday.;)

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Got the Sandhills gameland for May 2 thru the 4th.
May not use it though, picked up some more land to hunt on Barbecue creek in Harnett county as of last Sunday.;)

well if you do use it,,,give me a yell,,I'll give you some G2

Reactions: jug

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Gannon & I went 4 for 24. Not bad I guess. We’re pretty pumped!

He got Butner-Falls youth opener & we both got the adult/youth at Chatham/Harris.

I drew Hill Farm & Second Creek.

It will be our first time stepping foot on Butner-Falls & Hill Farm. Can’t wait to scout this weekend!
36251073c3e4b893530ff4f45d84d7c6.jpg

Reactions: jug

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I just got back from buying lottery tickets... I got drawn to hunt Jordan on 4/25 thru 4/27 AND I got excused from jury duty tomorrow because they already met quota. WOOO-WOOO-WOOO!

Jim

I drew Jordan that same hunt also. It's been about 7 years since I last drew one. The first thing that I told my wife was that I had better go to the store and get some lotto tickets....now I just hope there are birds still in my old spots ?

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
I got drawn for the last weekend on Second Creek. Will be my first time hunting turkeys and my first time hunting on public game land. Any advice/tips is much appreciated!

First, scout, scout, scout beforehand.

Second, hunt all days if possible!

Third, never give up until it’s dark!

Good luck!

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I drew Jordan that same hunt also. It's been about 7 years since I last drew one. The first thing that I told my wife was that I had better go to the store and get some lotto tickets....now I just hope there are birds still in my old spots ?

I've also got to put in some scouting there in the next couple of weeks. My favorite spots for turkeys are now state park.

Jim

shortmag

Button Buck
Drew same Sandhills hunt as you! Lookin' forward to it. Wish I could find a club or land for rifle deer as well.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Did anybody draw Tillery, I use to get it every year but hadn't for the past 3?

I drew Tillery last year, last weekend of season. Was 80+ degrees and no turkeys to be found.
I've seen more birds and more sign on neighboring gamelands that don't need a permit, so I didn't even put in for it this year.

dlmjr9

Button Buck
Buddy and I drew 3rd hunt for Chatham/Harris/Lee..... Not crazy about those dates, but I'll take it...