Turkey mouth call.... Really dumb questions…

Aaron871

Four Pointer
OK.... first time I’ve ever tried using one of these. As soon as I got it to make a noise, the vibration tickling my tongue and the top of my mouth about shot me out of the chair.

Am I doing this wrong? Do you guys just get over that sensation, cause I don’t think I’m getting over it....lol

np307

Ten Pointer
I was the same way when I first tried one. Eventually I realized that the call was too far forward in my mouth. You should feel the tape on the call seal off the back of your palate.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Type of call/position/pressure/air flow can affect vibration. Most calls are functional with very little air flow and pressure. Just try different technics and and you should find your groove.

I had the same issue. I figured out I have a narrow and high palate and couldn't get the calls to seat right. I started trimming them and it was better. Now I just order youth size mouth calls and that was the ticket.

Last edited:

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
Put it in your mouth ,keep it in your mouth to get the fell of it. While driving to work or anywhere where you can drive for a half hour or so leave it in and move it around with your tongue . Move it side to side up against you palate all around with pressure from your tongue . Don't try to make a sound until you get comfortable with it in your mouth . This may take a couple of days. Start trying to make a sound by huffing air between your tongue and the call. Don't try and blow it like a bugle . Huff air from your diagram . Try to start off with a long key sound (keeeeeeeeeeee) . Then drop your jaw while saying Yelp. Keep working with kelp,kelp,kelp,kelp,kelp while moving your jaw up and down all the while huffing air between your tongue and the call with pressure from your tongue on the call. It may sound hard but you can get it with enough practice. But it will take some effort on your part. Practice, Practice ,Practice . Good luck friend !!

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
I've tried like heck to use diaphragm calls, I just gag cough and spit though... and idk if the Turks like that

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I've tried like heck to use diaphragm calls, I just gag cough and spit though... and idk if the Turks like that

Most start out like that... I hated trying to get used to one then it just clicked one day, purrs took a long time to get down for me but if you can click softly and Yelp then you can kill a turkey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnowMaker

Eight Pointer
Most start out like that... I hated trying to get used to one then it just clicked one day, purrs took a long time to get down for me but if you can click softly and Yelp then you can kill a turkey

Really it goes away? I just flat gave up on em

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
OK.... first time I’ve ever tried using one of these. As soon as I got it to make a noise, the vibration tickling my tongue and the top of my mouth about shot me out of the chair.

Am I doing this wrong? Do you guys just get over that sensation, cause I don’t think I’m getting over it....lol
No dumb questions here. Good advice in these other posts. Best advice I ever got on mouth calls is one size does NOT fit all. Gotta size most to fit.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
@Aaron871 There’s a pretty decent “series” on YouTube from Primos where they go thru a lot of the stuff I considered “dumb” when I first got one. Shane Simpson (thanks @turkeyfoot ) has some good tutorials on calling and a couple videos where he breaks down how the call works and what affects the person trying to use it

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Videos are good, and spend a lot of time with one in your mouth. Anytime you are driving by yourself throw one in and get used to it, because the wife isn't going to like it at home. Buy a couple of cheap ones and experiment with cutting the tape and bending the frame slightly to get a proper fit. I used to cut them and then once I got used to it, I found out it wasn't really necessary. It did help to understand the fit and air movement though.

And whatever you do, NEVER teach your kids to use turkey calls. It will sound like you're living in a DDC call booth.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Really it goes away? I just flat gave up on em

Yup, also you may be setting the diaphragm to far back on your palate. Mine almost touches my teeth around where my canines are. Also you can flip a diaphragm call over and get the sound of a single reed.
For instance when I do a key key run, or cut I’ll call with upside down single reed side. Putts, clucks, and purrs I’ll use the dot up (correct way)

Aaron871

Four Pointer
You guys are great.... I truly appreciate all the replies.

I’ve gotten past the initial shock of the vibration... I’m gonna be ok. Just have to practice.

Side question, will turkey’s shock gobble all year?
How soon can I start trying to find or “pattern” them on my lease?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
You guys are great.... I truly appreciate all the replies.

I’ve gotten past the initial shock of the vibration... I’m gonna be ok. Just have to practice.

Side question, will turkey’s shock gobble all year?
How soon can I start trying to find or “pattern” them on my lease?
yes on shock gobbling. But not as eager/ easy now as they will when they are gobbling up hens.

Right Now for finding them; later for patterning them in movements that may still occur during hunting season.
but it really depends on the size of your lease.
most turkeys are in a small % of the habitat. Scouting isnt a real chore on smallish parcels.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
So..... I have a 400 acre lease. If I can find some gobbles in the next few weeks, is it likely they will be near the same area in a month? Or do they do that crap deer do in early Sept. and change their home base?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So..... I have a 400 acre lease. If I can find some gobbles in the next few weeks, is it likely they will be near the same area in a month? Or do they do that crap deer do in early Sept. and change their home base?
To be honest if I only had that small of piece to hunt I'd leave it alone stay off till later in March like 21st then go listen at daybreak from distance by then they should be gobbling good and easy to find then 10ish days before season start trying figure out where they are spending their mornings still staying distance away use crow call. Only thing you can accomplish on that size land now is bumping them over and over. Assuming you know land well since have it leased and k is barriers that'll keep one from coming in like fence or creeks. As far as will they stay that will be decided by hens if they are comfortable nesting there then yes if not then they will be gone unless neighbors have ideal nesting may still feed on your lease.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m 0-5 season.

Finally got bird In with mouth call , ducking whiffed over his head

Pissed me off.... so back at it.

PETA is going to seal deal before I do, but I keep at it

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
They will move around this next month as the big winter flocks break up . Some will come some will go. Turkeyfoot gave very good advice, find some high spots to listen from at daybreak. Try and determine where they like to roost more importantly where they like to go after they fly down and where they like to get together at all the while putting no pressure on them . Use your ears and eyes not your turkey calls. Be stifle ,try and not let them know you are in the area. Walk in and out slowly and quietly don't be riding the roads and trails. Good luck

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I tell beginners is to start with a straight double reed, no cuts in the reeds. Get it to sound close and continue practicing. One reason people suck at first is because they haven't built up enough muscle memory to work the call. So at the very least, give it a few weeks. Also, figure out which spot in your mouth that you are blowing the air through, left, right, middle. Then you pick a cut on the reed that lines up with that, left, middle or right.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yes, they pull that crap only worse. I know guys like to scout, but they are changing their patterns right up until the season opens, and throughout the season as well based on the condition of fields and pressure.

The important thing now is to have an intimate knowledge of your hunting property and the terrain. I think you can go out a couple of weeks before the season and find the turkeys pretty quickly. If they are there.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, they pull that crap only worse. I know guys like to scout, but they are changing their patterns right up until the season opens, and throughout the season as well based on the condition of fields and pressure.

The important thing now is to have an intimate knowledge of your hunting property and the terrain. I think you can go out a couple of weeks before the season and find the turkeys pretty quickly. If they are there.
Yup, I have one section that I see turkeys all deer season but when spring rolls around you can’t strike a bird if your life depended on it

jgav

Four Pointer

Ive struggled with the Purr forever, watched more youtube videos than I can count and still cant get it. What got you over the edge?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Ive struggled with the Purr forever, watched more youtube videos than I can count and still cant get it. What got you over the edge?
No jokes lol
First I started out the easiest to do but worse sounding way by blowing air hard enough to vibrate the dangly thing in your throat so that it sounds like hauking up a luggy. After that it was pretty easy to do it the right way by just puffing your lips and make a horse like sound, then for a purr and putt you do the same just ending the purr with a short puff