Turkey Leases for 2020

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Not mine but thought I would post this. Just saw an ad on Craigslist for land around Greenville for 2020 Turkey season and deer season.

JD1107

The club that I’m in leases in Pitt County. The last thing I want is landowners hearing that there are folks willing to pay $20+ a acre. When I saw that add on Craigslist before you made this post JoeSam I messaged the person and said that I felt like those prices were to high. Never heard back from them.

Randy

Ten Pointer
I'd really, really like to find a place or places to hunt close to home in Pitt County but I wouldn't pay anything like that around here. I'll just keep on looking.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I've got 350 acres in SE Georgia that suddenly has Turkeys and you wouldn't believe the people wanting to lease and the prices their offering.

What would cause Turkeys to "suddenly" be on a piece of land where they haven't been before?? My caretaker was telling me that there is 4 distinct flocks of between 25 to 45 birds per flock and several smaller groups. They have never been here in the 10 years that I have owned the land.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
They are running from the snowbirds down in Florida. Seriously, I could only imagine a good hatch and numbers expanding into new areas?? Food source dried up where they were and they're looking elsewhere. Sounds like a great problem to have. Milk that cow while you can but I would put restrictions on how many were taken, at least the first year. Don't want to overhunt and run them off before they get settled in good.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got 350 acres in SE Georgia that suddenly has Turkeys and you wouldn't believe the people wanting to lease and the prices their offering.

What would cause Turkeys to "suddenly" be on a piece of land where they haven't been before?? My caretaker was telling me that there is 4 distinct flocks of between 25 to 45 birds per flock and several smaller groups. They have never been here in the 10 years that I have owned the land.

That's interesting. Must have been some kind of habitat change nearby, I would think. Around here the same properties have all the turkeys every spring, and others nearby will be nearly empty.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Are you only seeing them in fall or winter if so could just be winter flocks that found food source and the source doesn't have to be on your land they could just be passing through it. If seeing them in spring there has to be nesting near by any fewyear old cutover or the like around now

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The club that I’m in leases in Pitt County. The last thing I want is landowners hearing that there are folks willing to pay $20+ a acre. When I saw that add on Craigslist before you made this post JoeSam I messaged the person and said that I felt like those prices were to high. Never heard back from them.

I thought it was outrageous when I saw the ad. Sad thing is, there are leases in eastern NC already that are 20.00 an acre. I will quit hunting before I pay that much for a lease.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
To answer everyone, I'm not a Turkey hunter and I haven't been on the land since early Sept when I went down to dove hunt an adjacent farm the owner planted. The "caretaker" is the brother of a close friend and he watches over the place in exchange for hunting deer so he is my eyes and ears when I'm not there.
This is the very first time Turkeys have been seen on the property, I know they weren't there when I last walked the fence line in Sept, there wasn't any sign at all and now they show up.....??

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You don't know what your missing if you need a teacher let me know Bailey Ga sounds fun😁. But to answer why they showed up I'd bet its fall flock eating whatever in that dove field they could disappear in spring then show back up again

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
$20-25 a acre is almost common place around here. You hardly if ever hear of land for less than $15 and if it is there is usually a reason.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
20 is very high but for a very nice piece of property and all seasons included could be reasonable

There’s a guy here in WV I know that has a lease in OH that pays 70 an acre, no joke, he’s crazy

JD1107

One the of the members in my club and I were talking about this land over the weekend. He went and inquired about it. Not worth the $20/acre in his opinion either. Few of the tracts where so close to neighborhoods and houses that’s you’d need to get permission from landowners to fire a gun (300 feet rule). Like I said I hate seeing these posts. Just keep driving the price of land up.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
20 is very high but for a very nice piece of property and all seasons included could be reasonable

There’s a guy here in WV I know that has a lease in OH that pays 70 an acre, no joke, he’s crazy
I know of a place in Ohio I would pay 2 grand an acre for the deer rights. But I only want one certain acre and sadly it can't be leased