Turkey Hunting Around VA Border WMAs?

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Has anyone hunted turkeys on the WMAs in south-central Virginia (Pittsylvania, Franklin, Henry Counties, not far from VA-NC border), such as White Oak Mountain, Turkeycock, or Fairystone Farms?

What is the turkey hunting like up there? Thinking of getting a VA hunting and turkey/deer license, but it is pricey for me ($111 for nonresident hunting license and $86 for turkey/deer license). Just want to know if it's worth it since I'm not far from that part of Virginia. What have your experiences been there? Lots of pressure, lots of turkeys or not so much, that kind of thing.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Can't go wrong with more time in woods. Shame is the 2 state's run same weeks besides Va extra week at end wouldn't it be nice if it was say like SC and get start early

True that. Plus there's a WMA literally 5-10 minutes down the road from my Dad's place in Virginia, so I could go hunt when I visit him.

It'd be nice if NC had a fall turkey season, but I don't know the reasoning behind states that do and states that don't have a fall season for turkeys. I'm sure both types have a legitimate reason for that.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Well, I took the plunge. Bought a VA hunting and deer/turkey license today. I'll go find out for myself what the hunting is like up there. :D
If you like Va hunting and plan on going many years, the non resident lifetime is $555. It pays for itself in 5 years. you still have to buy the big game $86 tags every year.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
True that. Plus there's a WMA literally 5-10 minutes down the road from my Dad's place in Virginia, so I could go hunt when I visit him.

It'd be nice if NC had a fall turkey season, but I don't know the reasoning behind states that do and states that don't have a fall season for turkeys. I'm sure both types have a legitimate reason for that.
Corn is main reason NC no fall season used to bevdidnt have the bird numbers to support but I suspect as long as deer baiting is legal no fall hunt for NC

timber

Twelve Pointer
I think turkey population is big reason. Lived on the line and hunted both states all my life. As far back as i can remember has been a large turkey population in va. Was a time u could see plenty turkeys in va go 2 miles south ito Nc and a turkey sighting was a rarity. Not sure with the time and effort Nc put into the stocking programs they will open a fall season. No doubt some areas have the turkey numbers to have one

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
I think turkey population is big reason. Lived on the line and hunted both states all my life. As far back as i can remember has been a large turkey population in va. Was a time u could see plenty turkeys in va go 2 miles south ito Nc and a turkey sighting was a rarity. Not sure with the time and effort Nc put into the stocking programs they will open a fall season. No doubt some areas have the turkey numbers to have one

Shhhhh 🤦‍♀️

No turkeys in VA😂

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Va has bad years like any other state some areas on seeing an actual pattern of decline some still good hunting but all comes down to them yellow nuggets Va doesn't allow it's reason when NC did have fall season it was a winter season few years back. Dang you wouldn't think with corn, apples, molasses licks, salt person would need full 4 months to kill some deer😁 of course this comes from biased turkey hunter point of view. I'm fine with it and used to it after being here 20 years I have plenty land in Va if wanna fall hunt plus couple other states I have hit keeps me satisfied

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

as turkeyfoot said few fall seasons in states where baiting is allowed. That results in a real "turkey shoot" scenario. :)
texas has it and that's about it.
Interestingly NC used to only have a winter season. No spring season. But that's a while ago.
We came to our senses as the flock was reestablished.
There is no better way to spend a day in the woods in the fall than playing with turkeys but the baiting has to go before it is a viable option for NC. IMO.

timber

Twelve Pointer
I think Va does good job of keeping tract of there turkey population. There has been some years they closed fall turkey during the gun deer season here. But with Va deer season coming in Nov they still had a short fall turkey season last of Oct and first of Nov

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
There are actually several states that allow baiting and have fall turkey season off top my head is wisc, west Va, kansas, Oklahoma, Neb, texas, ohio, kentucky, Mich. Few other states have this weird law about you can feed deer but can't hunt over the feed Tenn is one that comes to mind. I've hunted all them but Texas and Mich and don't hear much of any issue

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think Va does good job of keeping tract of there turkey population. There has been some years they closed fall turkey during the gun deer season here. But with Va deer season coming in Nov they still had a short fall turkey season last of Oct and first of Nov
In my are of Va the turkey season is quite long starts in Oct and runs into jan 11 to 25th with the break for gun deer except thanksgiving get most all of Dec. What saves lot fall turkey lives in Va is people wanting to hold onto tags for spring

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Thank y'all for the explanation. Makes sense to me.

Now that I have a VA license, maybe I'll be lucky enough to have a VA turkey for Thanksgiving next year. :D

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
turkeys don't bother my corn much most of the time,,,,once in a blue moon I'll get a crew that wants to devastate the pile,,,but hasn't happened in years

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
About 15 years ago N.C. used to have a Fall turkey season along 5 counties that bordered Virginia. It was actually in Winter, but either sex birds could be killed. To me, it always seemed like a waste to spend a tag on a hen that weighs half as much as a gobbler. My Grandfather always taught me that killing your egg layers and immature gobblers was counter-productive. Even though I had jakes and hens in range when I hunted that season in Granville back then, I couldn't make myself pull the trigger. The NCWRC did away with that season after a year or two and I'm glad they did.

Jim

timber

Twelve Pointer
Some enjoy the fall turkey about as much as spring. They use a dog to flush them. Then sit and call them back. Dont think fall season is any danger on population. Think last fall was only around 2300 tagged in va. This past spring in va was almost 18000 tagged.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The hunting is very good on all 3 of those places.
Fairy stone tends to get more pressure.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

I bought a VA small game because I wanted to hunt around Thanksgiving and once or twice when my wife and I visit her families cabin. Don't blame you. If I lived in your county i'd likely buy a VA deer license.