Turkey hunting accident

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
Why do people find it so hard to IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT? DONT SHOOT IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
I wish they had put more details on how it happened. Do they not allow cell phones in that area. Son had to go get help. Very strange.

JFH3006

OnslowDeerMan

I just read it... Very fishy, I don't know how I feel about this guy being a "police chief"... If you can't identify a turkey and know what's behind your target... Well nuff said, this guy could potentially be shooting in an urban area if something were to happen which warranted him to do so... Is this guy going to notice and infant or child behind a guy holding a gun? Could be the same fatal accident all over again.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Not sounding good, ,could have tripped ,or got caught on wire crossing the fence.? If shot by thinking he was a turkey, is nonsense ,A police chief,and best friend, I feel someone was messing around with anothers female, same old story , If it were a accident ,how in the world do you shoot your friend for a turkey when you are hunting together?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Happens every year somewhere. As far as cell phones, not all areas have coverage, especially in rural areas.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
especially with the youngsters.

they just dont know exactly how to handle guns in some cases and they will get excited.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
People hear sounds and take shots at movement all the time on not only turkeys but deer. They don't properly identify the desired target and let the bullets fly. Sad ending to say the least.

Datrip

Six Pointer
Not going to speculate on what happen, the truth will come out. I will instead pray for both families, as I am sure both are crushed beyond words.

Castle Oak

We all need to be aware that in the majority of turkey hunting accidents, the shooter is very experienced. I believe national statistics say 10+ years of turkey hunting experience. Experienced turkey hunters tend to be more aggressive and take more chances. One more common thread is that the shooter usually stalks in on the caller.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
very sad...too many variables in turkey hunting not to take extra precautions as the hunter and the caller. It's a hunt where the caller is hunted by varmints, other hunters and occasionally even a turkey.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the sport is not getting safer, those fanning techniques will eventually get someone killed.
the crawling and fanning technique combined (mojo's deal) would be what you would design if you wanted to create hunting accidents.

only thing worse would be putting on a deer carcass and crawling around after a whitetail.

now understand i would do it in a minute (mojo) if i could. but it is dangerous.