Turkey hunter podcast

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Everyone should listen to the latest turkey hunter podcast episode about non resident hunting. They break down the data and trends from the last 5 years. It is very enlightening, eye opening, and in some cases engaging. Quite a few southeastern state agencies are paying "influencers" to promote turkey hunting in their state while at the same time making sweeping changes in the name of saving turkeys. The data they get into is startling.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I'll try to figure out how to post a link when I get home from work. I'm technology illiterate so bare with me.

GobblinNC

Four Pointer

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Thanks for sharing it.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Like nails on a chalkboard to ears(in general not talking bout that episode) and they want $…hard pass for me 🤷‍♂️

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
2 things immediately came to mind while listening to the podcast....
- Kansas was absolutely crazy to turn their DNR into a parks and tourism branch and then wonder why the numbers suffered.

-I remember a couple of years ago when Catman almost single-handedly ruined a prominent WMA in Tennessee.

You cant hardly blame the youtubers for trying to make a living, but stop giving out specific info, and for Petes sake you cant have state game agencies giving out money to social media influencers while reducing and restricting resident hunting opportunities.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I've got posts on another forum from 10 or more years ago saying the internet was ruining places because people can't help themselves heck I probably did it myself a time or two when started traveling 20ish years ago to hunt but I quickly stopped that. Kansas is a prime example of a place that if you'd hunted it late 90s early 2000s you'd never had need for private land now pressure and couple other factors has led to cutbacks and lower quality hunt. I'm not nieve enough to believe its all just one thing its a combination of things but I do know turkeys a a fragile species and if you hammer them from 10 different directions all season long from increased resident and non resident hunters and toss is some bad hatches, bad winters, floods, very dry conditions, and so on the combo of some them has led us to this. There were states this spring that recorded some very low harvests. Who knows some these restrictions may be overboard I don't know only time will tell

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
2 things immediately came to mind while listening to the podcast....
- Kansas was absolutely crazy to turn their DNR into a parks and tourism branch and then wonder why the numbers suffered.

-I remember a couple of years ago when Catman almost single-handedly ruined a prominent WMA in Tennessee.

You cant hardly blame the youtubers for trying to make a living, but stop giving out specific info, and for Petes sake you cant have state game agencies giving out money to social media influencers while reducing and restricting resident hunting opportunities.
i like catman and enjoy his videos, even the catfishing. but that episode where he killed @4 hens made me sick to my stomach.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
i like catman and enjoy his videos, even the catfishing. but that episode where he killed @4 hens made me sick to my stomach.
Seen that he was pretty young still is. I'd bet he has learned/grown lot since same with advertising public spots I hunted that spot he called out. people were no fan of his in that part Tenn but things pass. The YouTube stuff is tough topic people have every right to do it I just wonder if state after state makes it tougher on non res will they look back and regret. Also its not just them there is inevetibly a person in comment section giving away a piece of public or enough of a hint that its pretty easy figure out.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
It was also shocking to hear that some WMAs in Florida had a 400% rise in non-res applications. With Miss and other states pushing their opening dates back places like Florida are gonna get hammered.

I'd really be pizzed if I were a Georgia resident and was losing almost 3 weeks of opportunity.

Im a statistics type of guy, this was actually a great podcast. Thanks for bringing this up @Brad_Colvin

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
First off I have to make it clear that I am a consumer of YouTube content. I've watched most of the most popular ones and use it for exactly what it is, entertainment. I've even been called a Dave Owens fan boy by some because I've defended him in some different threads. I've followed him since WAY before the Pinhoti project and have had a number of positive interactions with him. All that said after listening to this podcast I had to take a step back and think about things a little differently. My gripe is with state agencies paying to promote a resource while at the same time making sweeping changes in regulations citing the peril that the resource is in. Florida is well on their way to becoming like the west as far as point creep for quotas and special opportunity hunts. These influencers can't stick their head in the sand and deny the fact that they don't have an affect on things. There are many negative factors attributing to declining numbers. I honestly think that social media and YouTube is way down the list of the problems, but it could become a problem if people don't start acknowledging that it could be a problem. They also have the ability to have a huge positive influence as well. THP raised 35,000 dollars in about a week to fund a major research project in Alabama. I'd also like to see a study done on how many people got started trapping since the save the poults campaign started last summer. TFT is a new organization that has taken a foot hold strictly through social media. I truly think that the positives can outweigh the negatives,but only time will tell. I still stand firm on my stance that I don't want my liscense or tax dollars going towards promoting more pressure on an already threatened resource. If the states need extra money for habitat expansion or improvements enact a turkey stamp where the funds can be ear marked strictly for those projects.

ezdemon72

Six Pointer
I've got posts on another forum from 10 or more years ago saying the internet was ruining places because people can't help themselves heck I probably did it myself a time or two when started traveling 20ish years ago to hunt but I quickly stopped that. Kansas is a prime example of a place that if you'd hunted it late 90s early 2000s you'd never had need for private land now pressure and couple other factors has led to cutbacks and lower quality hunt. I'm not nieve enough to believe its all just one thing its a combination of things but I do know turkeys a a fragile species and if you hammer them from 10 different directions all season long from increased resident and non resident hunters and toss is some bad hatches, bad winters, floods, very dry conditions, and so on the combo of some them has led us to this. There were states this spring that recorded some very low harvests. Who knows some these restrictions may be overboard I don't know only time will tell
You could hunt Kansas just a few years ago and it was great. I think the area I hunt the numbers are down more from predators than from hunters.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You could hunt Kansas just a few years ago and it was great. I think the area I hunt the numbers are down more from predators than from hunters.
I'm talking the state as a whole been on decline for several years to point fall restrictions and cut spring tags are now in place you can always have pockets even when overall population is down combo of bad conditions and pressure predators have always been around

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
IMO:
the best thing about catman's videos is Jonie.
hell to the no on states paying influencers.
loose lips sinking the PL ships. Follow the money.
They'll impact the midwest as well.
We gonna shoot them out if drastic measures arent put in place.
:panic::eek::skeerd:
That being said I'll continue to do my best to contribute to their demise.
I cant help it.
Great link- interesting topics well presented, giving a nice view of the sport. Their intro on the taped hunt is fantastic.
@GobblinNC @Brad_Colvin - appreciate you making the effort to share.