Turkey Gun Optics

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
On a 870 blasphemous?just kiding I like beads myself but know couple guys that swear by the Burris fastfires

greenoakl

Six Pointer
I am looking to do the same thing. How are you mounting the optics to the gun? Any one use the aim tech saddle mount?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Thought about and thought about it. I love a FF3, but I just can't cant get away from the simplicity of fiber optic rifle sights on my turkey rig.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Vortex Venom on a rail for my latest build.
d9e7976be31c9a6264e66ff988ca2493.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
I have the Truglo Pro-Mangum Gobble Dot on my 870 and a Winchester 1300, my favorite site for shotguns. Anything else and you are adding weight, bulk, something to catch a limb as you walking woods, and with this said....all you want to do is have a bright dot to line up on a turkey head at whatever yards, and this will get it done. All steel, no plastic and tightens down secure on the rib by two steel screws. Just make sure you get the Pro series Mangum Gobble dot because they do make others in plastic and they will not hold up. Comes with a rear dot that lines up with a front sight and is adjustable for elevation and windage...you can get it hitting dead center with just couple shots. Think Midway USA lists it for $49 and Cabalas also carries it I believe. Just measure you rib and get the correct size to fit...they make several sizes for shotguns. You will not find a better site system and it has some good reviews.

mullet dredge

Six Pointer
I’m setting up an 870 20ga compact for this year. Never used anything but a bead or iron sights on any previous turkey guns but going with a Burris FastFire 3 on this rig. Received a Sumtoy protector mount in the mail for it Friday. Now to drill and tap....

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Burris FF3 and a SpeedDot 135 on 2 of my turkey guns. The FF3 is on a 336 mount and the 135 is on a b-square saddle mount.

dces175

Four Pointer
Thanks for all the replies. As a recently retired fella hoping to chase some gobblers this spring. Good luck to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thought about and thought about it. I love a FF3, but I just can't cant get away from the simplicity of fiber optic rifle sights on my turkey rig.

I had the adjustable fiber optic Winnie mentioned, but I needed a smaller, more precise dot so I can shoot them at 80 yards. ?

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

I had the adjustable fiber optic Winnie mentioned, but I needed a smaller, more precise dot so I can shoot them at 80 yards. [emoji15]
yeah Im thinking about a 3-18x50mm to really reach out there and snipe them......

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I’ve got a Bushnell TRS 25 3 moa red dot on my 11-87 , works great and you can find them online for less than 50 bucks.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Will the Burris ff3 fit on just one 336 Mount? And where should it be placed on the receiver?

Yes, the FF3 sits atop one Burris/Marlin 336 base made for the FF3....Sumtoy makes one also. You want the sight as far back on the receiver top as it can be to keep the field of view as wide as possible.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
How do you guys sight them in?

I sight mine in by shooting at a 2" black dot on a big sheet of painters/rosin paper at 40 yds.
Adjust the sight just like a rifle scope til the densest core of the pattern centers the black dot evenly. When a tom comes in I put the red dot where the neck skin meets the feathers and bust him....

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Leopold delta point pro. It goes off when it sits still for a period of time and turns on when it moves. The Vortex is a good optic but you need to turn it on, too much other stuff going on when at the moment of truth.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
When initially sighting in you may want to start with some cheap field loads to get it on paper. Saves some money on turkey loads.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The Vortex is a good optic but you need to turn it on, too much other stuff going on when at the moment of truth.

That's why you turn it on when you load your gun...

But the motion activated technology sounds pretty interesting.

Last edited:

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Leopold delta point pro. It goes off when it sits still for a period of time and turns on when it moves. The Vortex is a good optic but you need to turn it on, too much other stuff going on when at the moment of truth.
I went with the Venom to save $200 but you're right the Leupold is a little bit better and has a few more features